Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 18:05   #41
EdcLabRat

Hunted deer with my AR last year and I used Winchester 64gr power points. They performed fine for me. The only thing I'm going to do different this year is get a lower capacity magazine for easier maneuverability in the deer stand.
EdcLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:46   #42
K. Foster

The 64 gr. winchester load has worked for me as well.
Old 10-07-2012, 00:59   #43
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last year I started considering using one of my AR's for deer hunting - my 24" bolt action .30-06 is a 1/3 MOA gun, and I have complete confidence I can hit anything I aim at, but it is a bear to drag around the thick pine forests that I hunt in. Not to mention the tritium in the ACOG on my AR would be worth its weight in gold during those 30 minutes before sunrise and after sunset. Earlier this evening, after a long day of walking 9+ miles with a muzzle loader (26" barrel), I decided the AR is coming out next weekend for the opening of rifle season purely based on ergonomics, weigh, and sling function. I ordered the 62 grain Federal Fusion (based on my research)...hopefully I can post back soon with a report of how this ammo worked on a whitetail.

Last edited by whitebread; 10-07-2012 at 01:13..
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 20:22   #44
LL6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
yes--he's the younger guy.

I've been on drive hunts in Germany. Best I ever did was three pigs in a day. Its not as hard as it looks if you practice. And they practice all the time.
I didn't hunt in Deutschland, but I did enjoy the local Wildschwein and Hirsch. Made friends with a Metzger who also owned a Gastaus. He was a big hunter and collector.

He used to serve a lot of the game he took in his Gasthaus. Typically after dessert he would show me his latest gun purchases. I remember one of his pride and joys was an engraved drilling (forget the calibers) that had cost him around DM 17k circa 1980.