Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-26-2012, 17:47   #1
raindog17

Raven vs. Crossbreed vs. Comp-Tac

I'm planning to step up my CCW game. I've been lazy and pocket-holstering a Ruger LCR. Going forward, I'd like to carry my Glock 19.

Already have a great beltman gun belt. I'm pretty sure I want an IWB holster.

I've looked at tons, and am thinking one of these:
  • Raven Concealment Phantom
  • Comp-Tac Minotaur
  • Crossbreed Supertuck

One thing I liked about the Minotaur is that you can tuck your shirt around the gun...not sure how much I'd really do that though. I do like the fact that I could switch out the kydex if I get a different gun...someday when the Gen 7s come out it might be an useful.

Thoughts?

Minotaur review:
Crossbreed:
Raven:

Last edited by raindog17; 10-26-2012 at 17:57..
raindog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 18:01   #2
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

The Crossbreed is tuckable, too. I've had one for a few years. Like it very much. Another one to consider is the Maxtuck by White Hat Holsters. It's also tuckable and has interchangeable kydex shells. Also, you can get custom designs on the kydex. Here's mine (love it!):

Carry Issues

Carry Issues
racer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 19:04   #3
9mmmountaineer

Another for white hat holsters here, The tuckable feature is kinda cool but me personally I never use it. The replaceable kydex, on the other hand is awesome. I don't have the nice custom print jobs on mine, but I do have the horsehide which I love. And I'm ordering a replacement kydex for my kimber soon so I might spring for some graphics

304.223- black rifle club
9mmmountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 19:07   #4
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
i had an MTAC in the past but went with one from Tommy Theis here on GT a year ago or so. its every bit as good as the Comp-Tac and i believe better when you look at its thinner since i got the horsehide option and has metal clips that wont stretch like my plastic clips on the MTAC. as far as this one being tuckable, it is. i have only used it a couple times but the tucking it in aspect seems to add to its deep concealability. even my wife doubted i was carrying because i had it tucked in.

recently, ive started carrying OWB since its getting cold, but also because the love handles dont agree with long term IWB carry. I recently received 2 holsters from Personal Security Systems. they are similar to Raven but seem to be better in the small details to me. i got one for the glock 17 to use for IDPA and general carry but my second is a similar holster designed to carry the 17 and a light attached. i got their signature cut which removes the sweat guard and cuts the lower portion of the holster to remove some material from the corners to allow better access to your pockets and such. will post pics in a bit once they are done uploading from photobucket.

Last edited by M1A Shooter; 10-26-2012 at 19:09..
M1A Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 19:29   #5
Lampshade

Comes down to personal preference, although the hybrid holsters will have the comfort edge over the all kydex.
Lampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 19:37   #6
Kentguy

Crossbreed holsters
Old 10-26-2012, 19:47   #7
dosei

The Phantom by Raven Concealment is an excellent OWB holster, but not an excellent IWB holster. I own one. I love it for OWB, loathe it for IWB.

The Hybrids are very comfortable, at a slight cost of "performance" (not quite as easy to re-holster, not quite as good for when you need to use a public restroom...IMHO.)

For an all kydex IWB, I'd give X-Concealment a try. Namely their Gen 2 "C" Series IWB. Contoured for your waist size, they look very promising.

The most comfortable, concealable, and best performing IWB (leather, kydex, or hybrid) I have ever used is the Braveheart by KyTac...hands down, nothing comes close. But they are not easy to get (might not even be possible anymore).

Once X-Concealment comes out with a Gen 2 C Series IWB for an XD-45, I will be snatching up one.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 20:40   #8
CoolBreeze1911

Raven. I got one 3 weeks ago I think, and except for this weekend (in NY) I have not taken it off.
CoolBreeze1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 22:00   #9
M24C

I own the crossbreed supertuck and like it very much. I've thought about buying the Raven Concealment Phantom holster it looks like it would be very good for OWB carry, I just don't know if it would be better for IWB carry like some else mentioned. The comp Tac looks like it would be similar in comfort, I didn't like the way the kydex held the Glock, so I use the crossbreed for most of my IWB carrying. It is tuckable and I do it some times, but I just usually drop a a shirt over and go.

I forgot to mention do a look for second hand holsters from crossbreed in google.med you can find the price up to half off.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
40 Club number #164

Last edited by M24C; 10-26-2012 at 22:06..
M24C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:26   #10
Swamprattler

I have several holsters made by the three holster makers you are talking about, and have carried with them extensively. I would agree with dosei above about Raven; they are okay for OWB, and fairly uncomfortable for long term IWB carry (and also have had parts breakage with them). Both Crossbreed and MTAC holsters have been excellent in my experience. Both carry and conceal well, and are comfortable all day (as comfortable as carrying a gun all day can be).
Swamprattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:49   #11
Brandon G

i have a crossbreed that i have carried for a little over 2 years and love it. I recently found a more "local" holster maker and I have heard nothing but good things about him. I am going to order one soon but waiting for the new carry weapon to come in so it can be custom molded since he doesnt carry a holster for it. http://eholsters.wix.com/eholsters
Brandon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:53   #12
Recalcitrant

If you end up leaning toward the Crossbreed, I would also consider Old Faithful.

https://oldfaithfulholsters.com/shop...-forward-cant/

I'm not speaking with a wealth of experience here. I was just looking for a good IWB holster and was about to order the Crossbreed, mainly from Youtube reviews and strong endorsements here. Happened upon Old Faithful, decided to go with that for less money.

I can't yet recommend - I've worn it outside the home precisely once - but it's an option I found when I was thinking Crossbreed.
Recalcitrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:39   #13
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Raven all the way!

Raven
Bravo
comp tac

in that order
Old 10-28-2012, 04:35   #14
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

I can't speak for everyone but, I've had all three brands and the Raven works the best for me. I didn't care for the other two.

They are all great products and are quality inside and out. I just don't care for the Comp-Tac design and I didn't find the Crossbreed very comfortable.

The Raven does it best for me! (It's too bad they don't cover more makes and models though.)
Old 10-28-2012, 09:30   #15
M24C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
I can't speak for everyone but, I've had all three brands and the Raven works the best for me. I didn't care for the other two.

They are all great products and are quality inside and out. I just don't care for the Comp-Tac design and I didn't find the Crossbreed very comfortable.

The Raven does it best for me! (It's too bad they don't cover more makes and models though.)
If their is a specific gun they don't list it to make, and you really like their holsters. Ask them if they will for a specific gun holster. The worst thing they will say is no or not at this time. I thought they had a very long list of guns they made holsters for.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
40 Club number #164
M24C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:29   #16
dosei

For all the Raven boys...are you all carrying it IWB? The OP wants an IWB holster. If your experience/comments on the Raven are with regards to it being used as an OWB, then they are of little use to the OP.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:41   #17
Inebriated

I prefer the Comptac/Galco (same exact holster) plastic. It's not really Kydex, but it's rigid, thin, secure, and fitted well. Not tuckable, but I carry a 26 and have carried a 23 (friend's setup) in its holster (same as this) and it was equally concealable.

This type:
Carry Issues
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691

Last edited by Inebriated; 10-28-2012 at 12:42..
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 14:05   #18
SCmasterblaster

Your G19 would look good in the Raven.
Old 10-29-2012, 00:49   #19
Corbin

Been carrying with a crossbreed for a little over a year now. Definitely love it.
Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 13:26   #20
hank_612

I carry a G19 in a Fist ultra thin Kydex IWB and a Bladetech UCF. Neither is as comfortable as a Raven phantom OWB but to me the phantom is worthless compared to the other two IWB.

in short there are many better options than than a raven phantom if IWB is the primary form of carry.
hank_612 is offline   Reply With Quote