Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:46   #1
JoeCitizen

Ford F150...51K miles...ball joints...not happy :(

I've got a 2005 F150 with 51,000 miles on it. It's our road trip vehicle so all the miles are highway/interstate miles. It's never seen a hard day's work in its life. I took it to the dealer for recall service. They, of course, performed their multi-point inspection. They just called to inform me my lower ball joints are shot and need replacing. Also, my tires, which I bought last year, are already showing signs of cupping because of it. I told them not to replace them because when they are done with the recall servicing I'm driving it to the Toyota dealership so I can unload that piece of BLEEEEEEEEP and get a Tundra like I should have done back in 2005.

This is the third thing in 50,000 miles to cost a significant amount to fix. At 39,000 miles a sensor went bad, cost $400. At 46,000 a metal hydraulic connection in the power steering cracked. Dealer said whole rack and pinion had to be replaced as a whole kit wanted almost $800 to fix it, local guy did it for $375. Now ball joints gone... AT 50,000 STINKING MILES!!! They want $750. I've got a call in to my local guy for estimate.

Heaven above knows I try to buy American when I can. Right now I'm feeling like an idiot for doing so.
JoeCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47   #2
Eurodriver

Joe,

Have you ever heard a Ford thats more than a few years old? Truck, Car, doesn't matter?

They all creak and moan as they drive down the road. Ball joints have been a huge issue with Fords forever.

Why aren't you considering Chevy or GMC or Dodge?

Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-02-2012 at 08:47..
Eurodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54   #3
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
Joe,

Have you ever heard a Ford thats more than a few years old? Truck, Car, doesn't matter?

They all creak and moan as they drive down the road. Ball joints have been a huge issue with Fords forever.

My car is a 13 year old Ford. Last thing to go wrong was the starter, two years ago.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55   #4
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCitizen View Post
I've got a 2005 F150 with 51,000 miles on it. It's our road trip vehicle so all the miles are highway/interstate miles. It's never seen a hard day's work in its life. I took it to the dealer for recall service. They, of course, performed their multi-point inspection. They just called to inform me my lower ball joints are shot and need replacing. Also, my tires, which I bought last year, are already showing signs of cupping because of it. I told them not to replace them because when they are done with the recall servicing I'm driving it to the Toyota dealership so I can unload that piece of BLEEEEEEEEP and get a Tundra like I should have done back in 2005.

This is the third thing in 50,000 miles to cost a significant amount to fix. At 39,000 miles a sensor went bad, cost $400. At 46,000 a metal hydraulic connection in the power steering cracked. Dealer said whole rack and pinion had to be replaced as a whole kit wanted almost $800 to fix it, local guy did it for $375. Now ball joints gone... AT 50,000 STINKING MILES!!! They want $750. I've got a call in to my local guy for estimate.

Heaven above knows I try to buy American when I can. Right now I'm feeling like an idiot for doing so.
That sucks and I can understand you wanting to unload it. 50K miles should be nothing for a set of ball joints.

I will say that my Chevrolet was trouble-free except for a water pump and the alternator (still charges but whistles dixie) until the head cracked (at 186K miles). I'm not trying to turn this into a Chevy-Ford debate (Chevy has made their share of turds too) but domestic trucks tend to be good ones.

I would have an independent shop look at the truck. Perhaps it just needs an alignment. If it needs more the independent shop will likely be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02   #5
skew12

My 03 f250 makes no creaks or moans. Don't even consider Chevy if you want to get away from front end problems. Their IFS system will drive you nuts.

You can change ball joints on your own. I've done it a few times. Nothing bad at all.
skew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02   #6
skew12

Also, unless its free, stay away from the dealerships.
skew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29   #7
SMOKEin

Every truck on the market has issues. Ball joints are very easy to fix. Go to the local auto parts store and buy some Moog ball joints. Any chance you are in DFW?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:34   #8
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

I've had to do a brake job and replace the door lock so far on my 03 Tacoma after 180,000 miles of hard use.

Trade for the Tundra
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:37   #9
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

Try 70,000 and needs new transmission. Thats what happened to me. The mechanic said, yeah, Ford should have done a recall. This happens all the time. F 150 with 6 cyl driven like a grandma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfHDi-2EA
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:38   #10
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

I NEVER take a vehicle to the dealership unless it's warranty work or a recall. Bunch of lying ripoffs. You can tell they are lying, cause their lips are moving. I have a local mechanic that I can trust who has been working on my vehicles for 30 years. Hasn't ripped me off, ever.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52   #11
Wake_jumper

Toyota recalled and replaced ball joints on hundreds of thousands of 2002-2007 Tundra's and Sequoia’s.

Despite what others have said, replacing ball joints is not an easy job and can be quite dangerous.
Wake_jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:46   #12
Gareth68

Send a message via Yahoo to Gareth68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake_jumper View Post
Toyota recalled and replaced ball joints on hundreds of thousands of 2002-2007 Tundra's and Sequoia’s.
Perhaps if Ford owned up to their crap parts and repaired at their expense like Toyota did, the OP would be o here now proclaiming his loyalty for the brand.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:54   #13
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

I have an 05 F150 as well and replaced the lower ball joints at 80k Not really a big deal. Trucks are typical more maintenance heavy than cars. Just a fact of life. All in all I have 221K on mine and I've done the lower ball joints, shocks and a few brake jobs. Not to shabby.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57   #14
Gareth68

Send a message via Yahoo to Gareth68

193k on my 4runner, just replaced rear springs and shocks...ball joints are original and still in good shape.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00   #15
ron59
Bustin Caps

They make Toyotas here in the US now too.
I got 240,000 on my 1999 4Runner bought new. Never changed a ball joint, very little else (expensive) gone bad. Love my truck.

Gimme a Toyota or Honda over anything else. Hey, I'm all about the U.S., but when I'm dropping $30k on something, I get the most value for my money. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
“WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!”

Last edited by ron59; 10-02-2012 at 11:01..
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:26   #16
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake_jumper View Post
Despite what others have said, replacing ball joints is not an easy job and can be quite dangerous.
Yeah, hate to have a negligent discharge with a rattle gun.

Ball joints are easy, just make sure you have the right tools before you start. Any auto parts store will loan you the press, and if you install the greasable ones you won't have to replace them for a long time.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:28   #17
HalfHazzard
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
Gimme a Toyota or Honda over anything else. Hey, I'm all about the U.S., but when I'm dropping $30k on something, I get the most value for my money. Period.
YUP. I think its completely an American value to shop for the best value. When Honda starts making trash, I'll reconsider buying American
Old 10-02-2012, 11:32   #18
Kawabuggy

That's one of the MANY things about Ford. Intentionally undersizing ball joints so the customer will come back to the STEALership where they can unload more of your cash.

When you try to buy those ball joints, just realize that you will have to buy the ENTIRE upper control arm as the ball joints are not serviceable. The lowers, I believe, can be purchased without having to buy the complete control arm. Yeah Ford!

Those of you with more than 50K miles on your Ford are simply driving around with bad ball joints. Your truck is not special and did not receive extra special heavy duty ball joints that the rest of Ford's customers did not receive. Plain & simple.

This is why, it has been said over & over & over again-buy a better made vehicle. Toyota or Nissan come to mind.

Remember how many MILLIONS of Ford Taurus were made? And how many do you see on the roads now? Think that was accident? It was planned from the first day of engineering to fall apart-as all Ford products are-so that you would come back in 5 years and buy another one of their products with an expiration date. Ford & Chevy & Dodge BLOW. Buy the best-buy Toyota or Nissan.
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
Joe,

My 30+ year old bone stock daily driver, complete with poverty caps.

The Okie Corral

The only thing I've gone through has been the transmission.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40   #20
Wake_jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth68 View Post
Perhaps if Ford owned up to their crap parts and repaired at their expense like Toyota did, the OP would be o here now proclaiming his loyalty for the brand.

Well, it would be nice to think that Toyota was altruistically taking care of their customers, but that was not the case.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration forced them to do the recall after several accidents were caused by front suspensions collapsing at speed.

Toyota, like every other car manufacturer, tried to weasel out of it until the NHTS stepped in.
Wake_jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:56   #21
ken grant

03 Explorer 4x4
27,000 Ball joints gone
39,000 Transfer case.
42,000 Transfer case making moaning noise.

Wife's Explorer, never been off road and 4X4 used one time for about 10 minutes.
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:05   #22
Aux Bear

Send a message via ICQ to Aux Bear
'94, F150. Starter at 100K, Ball joints at 120K. Otherwise nothing except oil, gas 7 grease.
Aux Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:28   #23
Mr981

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr981
Same experience with an 04 XLT 4 WD I sold in 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken grant View Post
03 Explorer 4x4
27,000 Ball joints gone
39,000 Transfer case.
42,000 Transfer case making moaning noise.

Wife's Explorer, never been off road and 4X4 used one time for about 10 minutes.

Ball joints cooked at 40K; original ring and pinion shot at 12 K; second one replaced at 60K. Leaking transfer case fixed at 50K.
The ring and pinion gear was a bad part replaced by the same bad part; bad design or QC?--you decide.

Never--ever-- own a Ford product without a warranty.
Mr981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:45   #24
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr981 View Post
Never--ever-- own a Ford product without a warranty.
Funny...I have heard that same comment about Porsche...
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:54   #25
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Funny...I have heard that same comment about Porsche...
My uncle would add "and a spare car."

His Porsche was in the shop more than it was on the road. This was back in the 70s-80s though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote