Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:47   #1
pipedreams

black blade coating on Benchmade

In July I purchaded a Benchmade Pardue With Black Blade and the coating is coming off on one side of the blade. Not a lot but slowly more is coming off. This is a very nice light weight knife that carries well in the pocket of dress pants with the pocket clip removed. I'm quite pleased with the knife but wondering if this is something I should expect when the knife has been only used a few times to open envelopes and small packages. The knife is a BM-530SBK. I have a SOG knife with a black blade that has considerable use and the coating is still in good shape.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:00   #2
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

All coatings will wear.

I wouldn't think light tasks as described would cause any problems. Have you contacted BM customer service?

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:39   #3
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
All coatings will wear.

I wouldn't think light tasks as described would cause any problems. Have you contacted BM customer service?

Yes I contacted them and waiting for a reply. If the knife wasn't practically brand new I wouldn't be concerned. I did a closer inspection with a magnifying glass and it appears the blade is rubbing on the inside liner and the bare areas are fine scratches.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:47   #4
OdinIII

Send a message via ICQ to OdinIII
I'll be interested in what they say. I like black blades but the finish gets scraped or worn off way to soon.
OdinIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:04   #5
glock_19guy1983

It adds character. Ive had my Mini Rukus auto for several years and the black is nearly grey in some spots and completely gone in others.
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
glock_19guy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 20:07   #6
Myke_Hart
Handloader

I haven't found any brand that makes a black coating that will stay on the knife.

This is why I always buy blades that do not have any coating. Those that do, I will remove the coating as soon as it starts to wear. They usually will polish right off and look pretty good.

Got Guns? Does she know about it?
Myke_Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 14:44   #7
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinIII View Post
I'll be interested in what they say. I like black blades but the finish gets scraped or worn off way to soon.
Got a reply from CS and they said to send it in.

"Your blade should be centered between the handles and should not rub the inside liner. You are welcome to send that into us so we can repair under the warranty. Please complete the attached form and send it in with the knife, there is a space provided where you can list your concerns. "

Old 09-06-2012, 15:23   #8
OdinIII

Send a message via ICQ to OdinIII
Thanks for the update. Maybe they'll send you something extra for your trouble.

Good luck!
OdinIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 17:58   #9
ScottH

Benchmade customer service is top notch. I have the 530BK myself and mine rubbed a tiny bit when it was close to being fully closed. I tweeked the pivot screw and that did the trick. It was a 4-5 minute fix.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:17   #10
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
Benchmade customer service is top notch. I have the 530BK myself and mine rubbed a tiny bit when it was close to being fully closed. I tweeked the pivot screw and that did the trick. It was a 4-5 minute fix.

Enjoyed reading your review and found it accurate. The knife was designed to be thin and lightweight to fit a certain niche. It isn't a knife for heavy work but made to carry when you want something light and easy to conceal such as when wearing a suit or other dress clothes. With the clip removed you could even conceal it in your sock without a problem. Due to the thin design it does take some practice opening with one hand but after some practice it is easy.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:58   #11
Glock36shooter

What is the blade steel? If it isn't D2 or M2 I wouldn't worry about it. The coating does nothing for stainless blades. In fact in my experience blades can actually rust underneath a coating. I've stripped coatings off blades to find pitting and rust underneath. I generally do not leave a coating on a blade as I can care for the steel myself far better than any coating.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 21:05   #12
pipedreams

Follow up:

Send the knife in and as soon as they received it they sent an email they had received it and estimated 6-8 day to return. Received it back today with a new blade, springs, screws and all cleaned and adjusted. I had sent it to them without the pocket clip and received it back with another pocket clip. Can't ask for better service.