Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:49   #101
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth68 View Post
So, I assume y'all are on the list then?
"Assume" whatever you choose. My children are none of your business.

Last edited by tsmo1066; 10-03-2012 at 11:50..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:53   #102
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
If you read the article that you linked to you will see that your characterization of "America as a whole" is false -- Republicans (and those leaning Republican) have become more pro-life.

The source of the shift in abortion views is clear in the Gallup Values and Beliefs survey. The percentage of Republicans (including independents who lean Republican) calling themselves "pro-life" rose by 10 points over the past year, from 60% to 70%, while there has been essentially no change in the views of Democrats and Democratic leaners.

-ArtificialGrape
They are simply mentioning the source for the shift. That doesn't change the fact that the majority of ALL Americans are pro-life.

It wasn't a "Republicans Only" or "Democrats Only" poll, but a nationwide opinion poll, and it found that the majority of Americans, to include a majority of all American WOMEN, oppose abortion.

Last edited by tsmo1066; 10-03-2012 at 11:54..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:15   #103
Restless28

It's tough to support the death penalty and be anti-choice.

That seems like a tough conflict.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38   #104
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post

Ridiculous.

The two have nothing to do with each other.
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:54   #105
Dragoon189

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
Meanwhile, The Democrats insist that girls too young to even get a tattoo legally should be able to have invasive medical procedures done to them without their parent's knowledge or consent.

Don't forget that the Dems seem to claim that they know better than you about every other aspect of your life
"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials." — George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788
Dragoon189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:00   #106
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon189 View Post
Don't forget that the Dems seem to claim that they know better than you about every other aspect of your life
I thought that's the Pubs too?

You get one coming and the other one going.

Vote Libertarian!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 13:22   #107
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post

How so?

A convicted murderer who is executed has committed grievous atrocities on others in order to earn his/her fate.

What has an unborn child done, except get conceived?
Old 10-03-2012, 13:45   #108
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
Your argument is rather poorly thought out.

So long as cars are on the road, there are going to be accidents.

So long as people have genitals, they are going to have sex.

I'm talking about the remedy for adverse consequences.

You sound like you'd be a proponent of FGM...
And if people try to avoid accidents by driving safe speeds, following the rules of the road (ie taking responsibility for following their own safety) there would be fewer accidents and fewer deaths and injuries from car wrecks. People generally do try to avoid accidents so the number of serious wrecks is very low.

If people who do not want children use birth control, then there will be fewer unwanted pregnancies. Those children that do get conceived could easily be given to adopting families - assuming the biological parents do not want them.

FGM? I don't know what that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:51   #109
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
Rape is simple to handle:

Victim carries baby until term and puts baby up for adoption if she chooses. Rapist pays for 100% of the pregnant woman's care. If he doesn't have enough money, his organs are harvested and sold to make up the difference.
So then you would be ok with a law that said is a man or a boy is sexually assualted, then the man/get 20 lbs of silicone implanted near his gut for 9 months, hormone injections that cause body regulations issues, and then right before it is all removed, he had to have an 8 lb watermelon shoved up his rectum?

This happens starting the day after the crime. Maybe the criminal is never even prosecuted, but the boy/man has to put of with this.

Obviously, you dont get that carrying a baby and having a baby is not the most comfortable and pain free process for a woman.

But you are OK with making a woman go through these changes with her body.

I will tell you what. I believe you have the some right to tell a woman what happens after she is raped the day I see you post a video of you putting an 8lb watermelon in your rectum or passing a lemon from your bladder through your urethra. Then you might have an idea what they go through. Of course, it would probably help if you got to experience a man raping you so you know exactly how the woman feels.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 16:28   #110
frank4570
Feral human

I'm pro choice. But I would be perfectly ok with setting a time limit beyond which abortions are not permitted. And I'll bet MOST americans would find that pretty reasonable and acceptable. Only the extremists on the left and the right would have a problem with it. But neither of them will stop banging that drum, so it stays in the spotlight with everybody all worked up, and both sides using it as a wedge issue in elections.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 16:50   #111
dbcooper

I honestly don't care much about the whole thing. I could understand getting rid of the late term stuff. On the other hand if my wife or daughter was at risk I'd save the ones I already know and love over the new one, who wouldn't?
Old 10-03-2012, 17:06   #112
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
It ceases to be "their bodies" as soon as another life form starts multiplying cells inside.
Save The Tapeworms! HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 17:24   #113
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
I honestly don't care much about the whole thing. I could understand getting rid of the late term stuff. On the other hand if my wife or daughter was at risk I'd save the ones I already know and love over the new one, who wouldn't?
My grandmother didn't and my uncle is around because of it. She was fine as well. There are very few where the baby threatens the mother these days.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 17:25   #114
RenoF250

I am fairly certain the "rape kit" in the ER includes RU486 equivalent to end any possible pregnancy.

Regardless, once the fetus is past 6 month it is viable and a life. To abort it is to kill the baby for what its father did.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 17:53   #115
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
So then you would be ok with a law that said is a man or a boy is sexually assualted, then the man/get 20 lbs of silicone implanted near his gut for 9 months, hormone injections that cause body regulations issues, and then right before it is all removed, he had to have an 8 lb watermelon shoved up his rectum?

This happens starting the day after the crime. Maybe the criminal is never even prosecuted, but the boy/man has to put of with this.

Obviously, you dont get that carrying a baby and having a baby is not the most comfortable and pain free process for a woman.

I will tell you what. I believe you have the some right to tell a woman what happens after she is raped the day I see you post a video of you putting an 8lb watermelon in your rectum or passing a lemon from your bladder through your urethra. Then you might have an idea what they go through. Of course, it would probably help if you got to experience a man raping you so you know exactly how the woman feels.
congrats on what is probably the stupidest analogy I have ever seen posted on GT......and that's saying something.

ETA: SC Tiger's suggestion was retarded, but I think that went without saying.

Last edited by gjk5; 10-03-2012 at 17:54..
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:07   #116
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Save The Tapeworms! HH
Do you honestly equate an unborn human child, even a fetus, to be nothing more than the equivalent of a tapeworm?

I'm assuming that was sarcasm at work, right?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:26   #117
Mushinto
Master Member

Quote:
... Obviously, you dont get that carrying a baby and having a baby is not the most comfortable and pain free process for a woman...
Eve's fault.

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always.
Mushinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:40   #118
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk5 View Post
congrats on what is probably the stupidest analogy I have ever seen posted on GT......and that's saying something.

ETA: SC Tiger's suggestion was retarded, but I think that went without saying.
Really?

You think is a man was told, by a woman, that he was going to experience what a woman does during pregnancy and childbirth after a crime was committed against him, he would agree that forcing him, because of the woman's religious views, to go through that is acceptable.

How would you feel if my religious views dictated that you get a grapefruit shoved up your rectum? That is about the size of a baby's head?
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:42   #119
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
Eve's fault.
That is stupid to even say. How do you then place blame that all female mammals go through this? Is that Eve's fault too?
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:09   #120
dbcooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
My grandmother didn't and my uncle is around because of it. She was fine as well. There are very few where the baby threatens the mother these days.
The very few is kind of the point, a blanket ban leaves no room for the rare case.

There was a recent case where a 12 yr old was taken to the er for stomach pain, turned out that it was from a pregnancy after being molested by mom's boyfriend. In that case the unborn may be an innocent child but so was the "mother" I can't see a child having to go through with that birth.

It's a complicated issue.

Last edited by dbcooper; 10-04-2012 at 12:10..
dbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:18   #121
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:

Ok, I admit that was a sort of off-the-cuff idea (and thankfully I'm not the one that would have to come up with the solution) and not the best (even "retarted" as was stated above). There are already other solutions out there (that "plan b" pill that Kalashnikev was talking about, for one) much better than what I suggested.

I would like to keep the idea of gutting the rapist and selling his organs, with the money going to the rape victim though, if I may.

But even leaving abortion in as an option for rape victims and medical necessity (which I stated in another post I would not be opposed to), what gets me is when women get pregnant due to their own actions (ie not rape) and think of an abortion just because the child is not "convenient." It may be one of those areas where principles have to give way a little to common sense.

Edit to Add - I stated this right below the section you quoted - fifth paragraph (counting the single sentences). It starts with the statement "In reality".

All that said, your analogy is at least as stupid as my idea.

In any case - nothing will change so not really worth talking about. In the past 32 years there have been 20 years of Republican presidents (the side that would typically be in favor of a ban) and nothing has happened, and it won't.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 10-04-2012 at 13:13..
Old 10-04-2012, 12:25   #122
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
But even leaving abortion in as an option for rape victims and medical necessity (which I stated in another post I would not be opposed to), what gets me is when women get pregnant due to their own actions (ie not rape) and think of an abortion just because the child is not "convenient." It may be one of those areas where principles have to give way a little to common sense.
I dont believe in abortion as birth control.

That said, I also believe that in some cases (i.e. rape and medical necessity) it is not immoral.

But what you must realize is that for many (especially men) there is no middle ground. It is black and white. But I promise if men had to go through what women do with a pregnancy, I highly suspect they may view it differently.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:31   #123
Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp3975 View Post
Either way, the president cant ban abortion.
Geez, would you quit with the logic.

So a prez. that favors partial birth abortion and saddles the next generation with a massive amount of debt IS for women's rights? Uh huh.......

You know if Clinton ran again, I think the e card slogan would apply much better. He likes lady parts.

Last edited by Sharkey; 10-04-2012 at 12:31..
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:37   #124
Sharkey

Quote:
Sadly, the majority that get abortions don't think like that.

Quote:
That said, I also believe that in some cases (i.e. rape and medical necessity) it is not immoral.
That is a pretty small percentage actually. Even though I'm a Christian conservative, I'll go along with you in theory.

Quote:
But what you must realize is that for many (especially men) there is no middle ground. It is black and white. But I promise if men had to go through what women do with a pregnancy, I highly suspect they may view it differently.
Well many men pass kidney stones so let us call it even. I know it sounds simplistic but if women don't wanna get pregnant, they could keep their legs closed or pay for contraceptives.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:42   #125
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:

I agree on these stances.

Unfortunately, dbcooper brings up a case where an abortion might be the only real answer. I would imagine a 12-year-old would be terrified to tell her parents what happened. Holy God that is just terrible.

Quote: