SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-25-2012, 16:24   #1
Meanie5470

Send a message via AIM to Meanie5470
Best thumbbreak holster?

Hey anyone here use thumb break holsters? I was considering the DeSantis mini slide for my G23. Normally I wouldnt consider a thumb break but Im going to FL next month and Im bringing my motorcycle with me. I feel like Id be constantly paranoid about losing my gun with an open top. Im a fat kid so an IWB would def be too uncomfortable with a gun that big. What do you guys ride with? I have a Harley Fat Bob and a GSXR 1000 but the Harley is the one im bringing with me. Plan on riding in jeans and a t-shirt. Im not THAT worried about flashing while im riding, more about comfort and retention, but it def needs to be concealed once Im off the bike.
Meanie5470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 16:49   #2
jlavallee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanie5470 View Post
Hey anyone here use thumb break holsters? I was considering the DeSantis mini slide for my G23. Normally I wouldnt consider a thumb break but Im going to FL next month and Im bringing my motorcycle with me. I feel like Id be constantly paranoid about losing my gun with an open top. Im a fat kid so an IWB would def be too uncomfortable with a gun that big. What do you guys ride with? I have a Harley Fat Bob and a GSXR 1000 but the Harley is the one im bringing with me. Plan on riding in jeans and a t-shirt. Im not THAT worried about flashing while im riding, more about comfort and retention, but it def needs to be concealed once Im off the bike.
I generally ride with a Mitch Rosen shoulder rig. Occasionally on the ankle but that vibrates a lot and is not comfortable. I personally don't care for IWB or OWB on a bike since that is not going to be a good spot in a fall and you will hit your hip for sure. (look at any set of leathers and they're all padded there)

Riding in jeans and a T-shirt is never a good idea. Get a mesh jacket and save yourself some extra pain and it'll also allow you to stay cool and keep the rig covered.

Track bills in Congress and tell politicians your opinion.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
jlavallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:44   #3
dosei

Ride behind anyone wearing just an untucked shirt...NOTHING on their waist is concealed AT ALL. As the air moves around your body, your back quickly becomes a "low pressure zone"...and shirts get pulled away from the body revealing EVERYTHING.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 18:46   #4
Meanie5470

yea on the gsxr the shirt immediately blows up. On my HD though it stays down pretty well. The way my seat is shaped I lean on the back of my shirt. With a long shirt on I really dont think itll be a problem. And yea I have riding jackets and such but bottom line is if its warm enough I just wont wear one. Dumb as it sounds its just how it is lol. Especially on the cruiser. Anybody have experience with DeSantis? Are they good quality? Ive got a Galco concealable belt holster for my Sig that I used to carry and I love it. Only thing similar to the DeSantis that I found from Galco with a thumb break is the Cop Slide. It doesnt seem like it sucks in as close to the body as the DeSantis though. Seems more duty oriented then CCW oriented. I considered just getting an ankle rig for my LCP but m just not a fan of ankle holsters in general unless its a backup.

Last edited by Meanie5470; 10-25-2012 at 18:50..
Old 10-25-2012, 19:35   #5
jlavallee

A good mesh jacket is no hotter than just wearing a T shirt but I'm getting the impression that this is more about style than anything. I have a DeSantis OWB holster for my P99 but without thumb break, in it, the gun is not going anywhere and is a quality holster.

There again, riding with a gun on your hip is asking for a serious injury in a crash but just like riding without a jacket, if it is all about looking "cool" over anything else, I doubt you are concerned.

Track bills in Congress and tell politicians your opinion.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
jlavallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 20:09   #6
Meanie5470

Ill look plenty cool whether im wearing a jacket or not lol. I promise you thats the least of my concern. I could see the gun hurting me if I slammed down directly on it but anything else wouldnt it protect the spot its covering? Especially with a leather holster?
Old 10-25-2012, 20:15   #7
isp2605

Rodek Holsters.
http://www.rodekleather.com/site-map/belts
Ed has been making holsters since at least the early 1980s that I've known him. He's made a truck load of them for our Troops and Agents and he's made quite a few for people on this forum. Ed is a perfectionist. If it's not right then it won't leave his shop.
Delivery time is about 1 week. You'll wait longer on the mail to deliver it than you'll wait for Ed to ship it.
The one pictured below he made for me in 1998-99. This is his mahogany basketweave. I wore it everyday in plain clothes and still wear it now that I'm retired. It's gotten a lot of use and it's still like the day I got it. Ed uses very heavy leather that maintains its shape and appearance.
Cost is about $33. Doesn't matter if you want it plain, basketweave, border print, lettering, or color. Price is the same. You're not going to find a better made holster for anywhere near that price.

Carry Issues
Old 10-25-2012, 20:40   #8
Meanie5470

I kinda like how the others are molded to the specific gun but for 33 bucks i might give Rodek a shot. Def looks like good quality from what i can see on his website.
Old 10-25-2012, 20:52   #9
Patchman
Florist

A kydex holster (real kydex, not the cheaper plastic holsters) offer just-as-good-if-not-better retention.

There's also the option of a laynard.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 21:04   #10
isp2605

Quote:
I kinda like how the others are molded to the specific gun but for 33 bucks i might give Rodek a shot. Def looks like good quality from what i can see on his website.
He's made several hundred holsters, most likely more. A lot of our people use Ed's holster. It's not a boned type holster but it retains the firearm very well. Quite a few of our guys got matching holster, belt, handcuf case, and star holder which looks great in basketweave mahogany.
I was just by Ed's house today. He's making a pancake for somebody on this forum for a S&W 457 and also a S&W .460. He's also made a bunch of holsters for people on this forum for AMT .45 and 4" S&W 63. If a person has an idea for a different design Ed is not opposed to discussing it. He does custom work.
You won't be disappointed in Ed's quality of work. Here's one he made for my S&W 63. It's had harder use than for my Glock. I carry my 63 exposed to the elements when hunting so it gets all kinds of weather and drug thru all kinds of brush, etc. Still like the day he made it.

Carry Issues
Old 10-25-2012, 23:17   #11
collim1
Shower Time!

I like Don Hume holsters personally. They are a great bang for the buck. I have a H721 thumbsnap for each handgun I own.

They are good old fashion belt holster. The thumbsnap stays buttoned and it has just enough cant help it conceal.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:27   #12
dosei

I've used a Bianchi Model 5 Black Widow in the past and was pleased with how well it kept the gun snug & tight against my body. It also has a thumb-break design that is more "minimalistic" and thus less prone to printing. Mine was for a Stainless Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel, and it performed very well. My only complaint is that the belt slots are 1.75" and I wear 1.5" belts, and holsters really do work best when the belt slots are properly sized to the belt.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...p?TxtModelID=5
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)

Last edited by dosei; 10-26-2012 at 06:27..
Old 10-26-2012, 07:58   #13
The Retired Sarge
"The Sarge"

Take a serious look at the High Noon Holsters "Sky High". Best of breed in a thumb break. Bill
The Retired Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:37   #14
Meanie5470

Yea I have a 1.5" Galco belt so Id have the same problem with the Bianchi. I like how the Sky High is molded all the way up the thumb break. Have you ever tried a "horsehide" holster? Ive never even heard of that until now when I saw it on High Noon's website.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:07   #15
The Retired Sarge
"The Sarge"

Quote:
Yea I have a 1.5" Galco belt so Id have the same problem with the Bianchi. I like how the Sky High is molded all the way up the thumb break. Have you ever tried a "horsehide" holster? Ive never even heard of that until now when I saw it on High Noon's website.
Horse Vs. Cow. I have used both for many years. Horse hide is very dense, thin, and very resistant to abrasion and moisture. Gentle on the pistol finish and wears like iron. Down sides of horse is it is very hard to work with and form. Also it is extremely stiff. If you want that "broken in feeling" or close forming to your body, horse is not for you. I have dealt with High Noon for many years and they do a superb job on every thing. Having carried for 36 years I have settled on cow for OWB but definitely horse for IWB. In belts I go horse no doubt. All my pistols ride in High Noon Holsters. Bill
The Retired Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:29   #16
SCmasterblaster

Bianchi

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/

they have been making great holsters for decades.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58   #17
dosei

Quote:
Yea I have a 1.5" Galco belt so Id have the same problem with the Bianchi.
You'll also have the same problem with DeSantis, Galco, High Noon, etc. They are all made with 1.75" belt slots. High Noon tries to say that even though the slots are 1.75", the holster works best on a 1.5" belt...if that is the case it is only because the slots are way too snug on a 1.75" belt.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07   #18
SCmasterblaster

Amen, brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
I've used a Bianchi Model 5 Black Widow in the past and was pleased with how well it kept the gun snug & tight against my body. It also has a thumb-break design that is more "minimalistic" and thus less prone to printing. Mine was for a Stainless Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel, and it performed very well. My only complaint is that the belt slots are 1.75" and I wear 1.5" belts, and holsters really do work best when the belt slots are properly sized to the belt.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...p?TxtModelID=5
I have been carrying my G17 in a Bianchi 4/4L for a good long time.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 10-28-2012 at 15:47..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:54   #19
Remington 870

OP. the blackhawk serpa, my favorite in leather is the don hume model 721. or another blackhawk holster the " leather cutaway" , I carried my 23 in one of those for years. good luck hope this helps
Remington 870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:07   #20
dosei

The Blackhawk Serpa is, hands down, one of the LEAST concealable holsters that is still marketed as a "Concealed Carry" holster.

Comfortable? Yes
Concealable? Only under bulky winter coats

And yes, I own one. I do know first hand what I'm talking about. A good "pancake" style leather OWB is MUCH easier to conceal.