SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-20-2014, 19:50   #1
Taterhead
Counting Beans

So I Got Some Unique...

Grabbed a couple of pounds of Unique. I didn't really need it, but the opportunity came up and I thought I'd try it finally. After all, it has only been around for about 115 years!

It should probably work just fine like I use WSF. Meaning perfect for "FBI loads" or "10mm Light." I'll try it in 10mm short too (aks 40 S&W).

The shape is just like Blue Dot, just a bit smaller. I'm betting that it will meter a little better than Blue Dot. Thinking it will throw similarly to Longshot.

I'll peruse the Alliant sticky here in a minute, but wonder if you've had some nice loads with 180 grainers? I'll mostly be running 180 grainers from Precision Delta or PowerBond.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 19:53   #2
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Hook a brother up!
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 21:02   #3
WeeWilly

I have loaded 8.0grs of Unique with PD 180gr FMJ/FP's. Nice 1100fps load, pretty soft shooting for 10mm.

I pretty much use Unique only for my shotshell loads these days, well actually, these days I don't have any Unique to load...

Personally, I think Blue Dot and Unique meter about the same, which is not saying much. For shotshell it isn't all that important. I did get a small improvement in metering with Unique when I polished up the bowl of my powder hopper on my Dillon, but it still doesn't compare to powders like AA #9 or VV-3N37, etc.

Enjoy the powder.
WeeWilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 13:46   #4
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
Hook a brother up!

No problem. Stop by the house and I'll sell you a can for exactly what I paid for it... plus $1 for the sake of the pursuit of free market capitalism.
Old 03-21-2014, 13:47   #5
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Willy, what are you velocities? I'm thinking of charging enough just so the burn is not too filthy. Thinking somewhere in the sixes.
Old 03-21-2014, 13:59   #6
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Willy, what are you velocities? I'm thinking of charging enough just so the burn is not too filthy. Thinking somewhere in the sixes.

Just right around 1100fps out of the G20 (which means you will probably be seeing 1150 out of yours ). For whatever reason I got a little bit bigger bump than usual out of magnum primers when using Unique (kind of using them up on plinking loads).

The later version of Unique does burn cleaner than older versions, it is also a lot fluffier, so maybe not like burning dirt...

It is funny, as much I as really don't like Unique for pistol, it seems to fill a lot of game load boxes really well for 12 gauge shotshells, looking forward to the powder shortage to ease so I can restock.
Old 03-21-2014, 16:31   #7
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
I've never tried Unique, either, but I have over half a LB of WSF left and I've never really LOVED WSF.... but I've never pushed it ... WSF always feels like I'm treating it with kid gloves. Thought about loading up some 10mm close to book max with WSF.... might be real nice.

Good luck with the Unique!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/index.html
Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 17:01   #8
Michael Rye

Unique is very good for 44 Magnum, especially for reduced/midrange loadings. I've never used it for 10mm, though.

Glad to hear someone got ahold of some powder!

Here in SC it's nowhere to be found.
Old 03-21-2014, 19:40   #9
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
I've never tried Unique, either, but I have over half a LB of WSF left and I've never really LOVED WSF.... but I've never pushed it ... WSF always feels like I'm treating it with kid gloves. Thought about loading up some 10mm close to book max with WSF.... might be real nice.

Good luck with the Unique!

WSF has been my gaming powder for IDPA lately. Works great for that. That and Accurate no. 5 make nice soft-shooting 10mm loads that still cycle the big 20. I imagine that Unique will fit right in there, but maybe a bit dirtier and meter somewhat less consistently. I don't intend to explore the upper end of this in 10mm at all. I might push it a bit in .40 S&W.

Got a few projects going on right now, so I'll report back as I can.
Old 03-21-2014, 19:42   #10
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWilly View Post
Just right around 1100fps out of the G20 (which means you will probably be seeing 1150 out of yours ). For whatever reason I got a little bit bigger bump than usual out of magnum primers when using Unique (kind of using them up on plinking loads).

The later version of Unique does burn cleaner than older versions, it is also a lot fluffier, so maybe not like burning dirt...

It is funny, as much I as really don't like Unique for pistol, it seems to fill a lot of game load boxes really well for 12 gauge shotshells, looking forward to the powder shortage to ease so I can restock.

The part in bold is funny. The weird thing is that only A9 runs fast in my gun. Longshot is a dog. Blue Dot is about average. 800-X is everywhere.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:35   #11
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
The part in bold is funny. The weird thing is that only A9 runs fast in my gun. Longshot is a dog. Blue Dot is about average. 800-X is everywhere.

I generally shoot through my chrono starting fairly early in the morning. I have been working on a theory that maybe the radical change in light during a normal session (as the sun starts to rise in the sky) is behind my weird results compared to you and TDC, specifically with regard to #9.

I still scratch my head with your 800x results as it was one of the kindest powders on brass when running up at the limit I have tested, in both 10mm and .45 Super.

I sometimes think the benefit of all of us publishing our results is you get a pretty good idea how wide the range of expected results might be in any given "recipe". It is no wonder load data continually drifts downward when these deviations are contemplated.

Some fun.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:39   #12
bear10

Unique is fine

I use unique for more loads than anything! I load my 16 and 20 gauge shotshell loads with Unique and most handgun loads. I like it in my 10mm for all my IDPA and USPSA shooting. It burns very clean and consistent for me. With 180gr. bullets and 6.5 grains of powder it makes major power factor easily.
bear10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:14   #13
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWilly View Post
I generally shoot through my chrono starting fairly early in the morning. I have been working on a theory that maybe the radical change in light during a normal session (as the sun starts to rise in the sky) is behind my weird results compared to you and TDC, specifically with regard to #9.

I still scratch my head with your 800x results as it was one of the kindest powders on brass when running up at the limit I have tested, in both 10mm and .45 Super.

I sometimes think the benefit of all of us publishing our results is you get a pretty good idea how wide the range of expected results might be in any given "recipe". It is no wonder load data continually drifts downward when these deviations are contemplated.

Some fun.
I hear that.

In my Fusion, Longshot runs real well and really accurate. AA7 was exactly as book says and very accurate. Blue Dot has always ran slowly (although, admittedly, I've yet to push it REALLY hard) and 800X runs VERY fast, although not as accurate as many say their loads are. Power Pistol has always been right on book and very accurate... a very understated powder if I do say so.

AA9 is the SINGLE MOST DEVIANT powder from what I've READ from OTHERS. You hear people say they only get 1120 with 200gr XTP's and others who get 1250 with the same 13.0gr load.... which always baffles me. I know there are a few different manufacturers so that is part of the issue I'm sure. I've yet to try the pound of AA9 I just bought but I'm hoping it runs fast.... If so, I may use a LOT of it. I LOVED AA7 and if I can get more of the same goodness with AA9, it will surely become my fav.

Can't wait to get some of these load experiments chrono'd from the new G20SF, too....

Time will tell....
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/index.html
Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”

Last edited by nickE10mm; 03-22-2014 at 12:16..
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 14:13   #14
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
I hear that.

In my Fusion, Longshot runs real well and really accurate. AA7 was exactly as book says and very accurate. Blue Dot has always ran slowly (although, admittedly, I've yet to push it REALLY hard) and 800X runs VERY fast, although not as accurate as many say their loads are. Power Pistol has always been right on book and very accurate... a very understated powder if I do say so.

AA9 is the SINGLE MOST DEVIANT powder from what I've READ from OTHERS. You hear people say they only get 1120 with 200gr XTP's and others who get 1250 with the same 13.0gr load.... which always baffles me. I know there are a few different manufacturers so that is part of the issue I'm sure. I've yet to try the pound of AA9 I just bought but I'm hoping it runs fast.... If so, I may use a LOT of it. I LOVED AA7 and if I can get more of the same goodness with AA9, it will surely become my fav.

Can't wait to get some of these load experiments chrono'd from the new G20SF, too....

Time will tell....

Looking forward to your results.
Old 03-22-2014, 15:01   #15
9jeeps
Fogey

Years ago I used Unique in Revolver loads. It was very dirty. Almost as bad as Black Powder.
My shooting friend loved the stuff.
9jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 22:02   #16
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear10 View Post
I use unique for more loads than anything! I load my 16 and 20 gauge shotshell loads with Unique and most handgun loads. I like it in my 10mm for all my IDPA and USPSA shooting. It burns very clean and consistent for me. With 180gr. bullets and 6.5 grains of powder it makes major power factor easily.

I shoot SSP in IDPA, so "major" is N/A (PF is a lowly 125,000). In USPSA PF obviously matters. Curious about how slowly you can run 180s with Unique? Thinking that this powder might be another arrow in the gaming quiver.

You are right, it is kind of hard to not make major PF with a 10mm.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:21   #17
bear10

I usually shot a load of 6.0 gr. of unique with 180gr. Berry bullets for IDPA and it was sweet! A light load like that in my G20 allows you to shoot just as fast as the 9mm boys with their pocket pistols and much more accurate. I always used WLP primers and my loads shot extremely clean.
bear10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:23   #18
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Thanks for the data point bear10. Low sixes was where I was considering playing around a bit.
Old 03-23-2014, 16:42   #19
OhioGlockMan

I love using unique for loads that are about 2/3 full power! In the 10mm my favorite reduced recoil plinking unique load is 7.4 gr with a 155 gr & winchester WLP primer, clocks high 1200's out of my 6 inch lone wolf barrel, I'd anticipate 1200 FPS out of standard length G20 barrel. I've gone up to 8 grains for 1325ish velocity with the 155's and 6 inch barrel. Both loads are mild recoil

Also love unique for 357 magnum reduced power plinking loads. I use it with 8.4 grains and a 125 gr jacketed or plated bullet, clocks 1200 fps from 4 inch revolver and low 1500's out of 16 inch barrel lever action carbine. Also low recoil, feels like a 22 in the rifle.

Last edited by OhioGlockMan; 03-23-2014 at 16:44..
OhioGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 23:35   #20
MinervaDoe

I haven't had great luck with Unique and 180 grain plated 10mm.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1366915

But Unique works great with my 155 grain plated 10mm loads.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1305709
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote