Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:32   #1
cablecutter

10mm magnum case strength

Is the the 10mm magnum case any stronger than the 10mm? I know the .40 is stronger than the 10mm but I was thinking what if you trim the case down of a 10mm magnum to a 10mm for some real nuclear loads. Could this be done?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
cablecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 14:23   #2
gator378
Gator378

Might need to call Starline Brass.
Old 01-19-2012, 14:27   #3
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

What you need to consider is that the web of the 10mm Mag if different from the 10mm can cause excessive pressures as it occupies powder space. I am not familure enough with the 10mm mag cases to advise if it is thicker than the 10mm.

The 40S&W case is the small primer making the small difference in the web but I have seen more 40's blown out than 10mm!

If you live in the real world of safety, you will live within the design of the 10mm cartridge. Therefore if you push it will push back!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 19:19   #4
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Pretty much what the Shadow said. The 10mm is a fine cartridge the way it is - good support in the barrel is what you should be looking for.

Cover that and you can build loads right up there to the .41 magnum range.
Old 03-21-2014, 22:54   #5
dannyyates

I have been using starline 10mm mag brass. for allmost a year. with no probs what so ever i couldnt find any 10mm brass last year when everthing went crazzy and ive loaded the same. Loads i even have went well over spec' s the only psi signs ive seen is with primers no case bulge at all i like them because most other brass is not. .992 there from.. 984 & up i have lone wolf 6.61" barrel the brass works great for me the only thing is u need a cut off wheel its lot of work on a case trimer i used a arrow cutted that i had worked good if you do use them just start. .5 grains lower and work them up like any loading data no gun is the same
dannyyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:24   #6
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
What you need to consider is that the web of the 10mm Mag if different from the 10mm can cause excessive pressures as it occupies powder space. I am not familure enough with the 10mm mag cases to advise if it is thicker than the 10mm.

The 40S&W case is the small primer making the small difference in the web but I have seen more 40's blown out than 10mm!

If you live in the real world of safety, you will live within the design of the 10mm cartridge. Therefore if you push it will push back!
^ this
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/index.html
Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:25   #7
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyates View Post
I have been using starline 10mm mag brass. for allmost a year. with no probs what so ever i couldnt find any 10mm brass last year when everthing went crazzy and ive loaded the same. Loads i even have went well over spec' s the only psi signs ive seen is with primers no case bulge at all i like them because most other brass is not. .992 there from.. 984 & up i have lone wolf 6.61" barrel the brass works great for me the only thing is u need a cut off wheel its lot of work on a case trimer i used a arrow cutted that i had worked good if you do use them just start. .5 grains lower and work them up like any loading data no gun is the same
Interesting nonetheless

Be safe !
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/index.html
Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote