Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2012, 17:14   #1
Redfire SVT

How do you keep your codes straight?

Just finished my first week in the academy (GA). Loving it so far, I've been doing a lot of studying and the majority of our first test (monday) is the CJ system and GA Criminal Law. We covered maybe 75-100 codes and I've got the majority down but there's some oddball ones that I just can't memorize.

Any tricks?
Redfire SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 17:23   #2
blueiron

We went to plain English after too many code changes within a fifteen year period. Honestly, an intellectual argument can be made for the elimination of codes as an antiquated form of COMSEC and detrimental to multi-agency operations.

There are too many dissimilar codes nationwide and the only way to learn them is by sheer rote, just like trigonometric functions.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 18:14   #3
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

We're plain English as well. We have 10 codes, nobody uses them though except for very common ones like 10-4, 10-20, and 10-15

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
Old 09-29-2012, 18:18   #4
RocPO

I think he means criminal codes, not radio codes.
RocPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 18:40   #5
11A

Where I'm at, we have City Code and the ORC (Ohio Revised Code). I keep my law books in the trunk of the cruiser in case I need them.

But for the most part, you'll end up memorizing the elements needed to charge someone with a specific crime by old fashioned studying and application.
11A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 18:52   #6
Redfire SVT

Criminal codes, should have clarified. Haven't gotten to (if we even will) the other codes. Call codes? I don't even know what they're called.

The basic ones (murder, assault, battery, theft, etc) are fairly easy. Some of the ones I've never heard of with a ton of elements are pretty damn hard to memorize in 2-3 days. Got until Monday though to keep trying!
Redfire SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 18:53   #7
collim1
Shower Time!

I still have a traffic code cheat sheet taped to the back of my ticket book and a criminal code cheat sheet on the back of my report folder.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 19:20   #8
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocPO View Post
I think he means criminal codes, not radio codes.
10-4... I mean... oh never mind.

That's why I bought a handy-dandy penal law reference.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 19:29   #9
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfire SVT View Post
Just finished my first week in the academy (GA). Loving it so far, I've been doing a lot of studying and the majority of our first test (monday) is the CJ system and GA Criminal Law. We covered maybe 75-100 codes and I've got the majority down but there's some oddball ones that I just can't memorize.

Any tricks?
If you are referring to law codes... Throw all that BS out, and randomly insert maritime law and/or joinder.

Seriously study, know what "and" & "or" means, and culpable mental states. I doubt you are going to have to write out every word to 75-100 laws. You will more likely be tested on their application. Additionally, think mainstream.

If you are referring to call codes, they will come as you get dispatched, and handle each one.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 19:32   #10
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Ahh ok, makes more sense haha

Last edited by SCSU74; 09-29-2012 at 19:33..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 19:58   #11
blueiron

They expect you to memorize them? Insane.

As a one time Federal US Attorney for the district of Arizona and distinguished attorney taught us in 1984; never memorize anything when it comes to criminal law. Simply know where in the book it is and look it up every time. It prevents mistakes and is what charging attorneys do. Within a short period of time, you'll know the law and its application.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 20:18   #12
Thumpernator

Which academy in Ga?
Thumpernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 21:19   #13
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

What blueiron said.

Be able to recognize that the dude over there is being bad. After you've subdued him using whatever force is appropriate, you can look up the details that need covered in interviews and documented.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 23:47   #14
Poohgyrr
trout fear me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfire SVT View Post
GA Criminal Law. We covered maybe 75-100 codes and I've got the majority down but there's some oddball ones that I just can't memorize. Any tricks?
Flash cards were my friend back when. 3X5 cards are relatively cheap and easy to work with. A rubber band kept them together.

edited: For what it is worth, we still require trainees (during field training) to demonstrate that they have memorized the elements and Code & section for the "common" (including some less common) crimes. I make my trainees complete their own cheat sheet to use, but they still need to know the section and code. And yes, our State legislature just renumbered a ton of weapons codes here - they also didn't supply any money (to replace all the text and reference books, or reprogram all the computers)....
Snoopy Lives!! Luke 22:36 Ephesians 4:26-32
357Sig Club #3531 S&W Club #10 BHP Club #35
"Life brings both sorrows and joys alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Last edited by Poohgyrr; 10-01-2012 at 10:45..
Poohgyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:42   #15
rockapede

Frequently used city ordinances (both traffic and criminal) are taped to my ticket book. I've got some state charges (mostly felony assault and drug stuff) memorized, I usually just look them up at the jail. I've got to look up the charge code anyway.

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:07   #16
4949shooter

This is what statute books are for. The more common statutes you will remember them just from use.

If you are taking a test, concentrate on the codes they went over in class. There is no way you will be able to memorize all the criminal codes. There are too many of them.
Old 09-30-2012, 13:15   #17
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
Frequently used city ordinances (both traffic and criminal) are taped to my ticket book. I've got some state charges (mostly felony assault and drug stuff) memorized, I usually just look them up at the jail. I've got to look up the charge code anyway.
Ours auto fill when we type in the charge, makes it very easy. All traffic citation numbers are in each ticket book.

Old 09-30-2012, 14:00   #18
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
Ours auto fill when we type in the charge, makes it very easy. All traffic citation numbers are in each ticket book.

Our reporting system auto-fills, but I have to fill out a paper gotcha sheet at the jail that requires a statute, charge code, and ncic number for every arrest. Which is funny, because the SO uses the same reporting system for booking, which also auto-fills. But NOooo, I've got to waste several minutes digging through a charge code manual

-Edward Conlon
Old 09-30-2012, 14:51   #19
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
I don't get why academies still push memorizing criminal/traffic code. All it takes is the legislature to go in and start mucking around and everything you memorized is useless. The Legislative Council Bureau in NV just reorganized the NRS's for traffic law into about 7 different chapters instead of just 3 or 4. Now all the NRS's that I've had memorized for the past 5 years are useless because they have different chapter and subsections. It's screwing up a lot of the guys I work with too.

Good luck and just know the elements of the crime, not chapter and verse. When you're on the street you'll have cheat sheets like everyone else and you can also look it up.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 14:57   #20
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
I don't get why academies still push memorizing criminal/traffic code. All it takes is the legislature to go in and start mucking around and everything you memorized is useless. The Legislative Council Bureau in NV just reorganized the NRS's for traffic law into about 7 different chapters instead of just 3 or 4. Now all the NRS's that I've had memorized for the past 5 years are useless because they have different chapter and subsections. It's screwing up a lot of the guys I work with too.

Good luck and just know the elements of the crime, not chapter and verse. When you're on the street you'll have cheat sheets like everyone else and you can also look it up.
Agreed. I was not required to memorize or, for that matter, even pay attention to statute numbers in the academy. Elements only.

-Edward Conlon