Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:42   #1
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT

Home Invasion with Rifle

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...yssey=nav|head
The article does not say what type of rifle was used, but one of the local TV news stations reported that it was an AR-15.

So what's your plan to defend yourself against a bad guy busting into your home using an AR-15 or similar sporting rifle?

BTW, Shreveport has had a rash of home invasions this year. I'm glad I live across the river in Bossier City.

"Government cannot deny its citizens a right on the off chance that right might be abused." --Unknown
LoadToadBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:45   #2
Hyksos

Saiga 12 > rifle in a home defense situation I would believe.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:52   #3
deputy tom

The perps probably used a marlin 60 with a broken stock = AK/AR/machine gun in the eyes of the media. 12 ga shotgun or G17 would be my answer to the threat. Whichever one is closer.YMMV. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

Last edited by deputy tom; 10-02-2012 at 05:56..
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:10   #4
kiole

Hope it's an Olympic arms or other third tier AR15 because according to the internet they won't work.
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:43   #5
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadToadBoss View Post
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...yssey=nav|head
The article does not say what type of rifle was used, but one of the local TV news stations reported that it was an AR-15.

So what's your plan to defend yourself against a bad guy busting into your home using an AR-15 or similar sporting rifle?

BTW, Shreveport has had a rash of home invasions this year. I'm glad I live across the river in Bossier City.
Doesn't Jerry Miculek live in Shreveport? The BG would be in for his worst nightmare in Jerry's home.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:45   #6
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadToadBoss View Post
Shoot mine first. Shoot mine better. Shoot mine more.
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:04   #7
Brucev

If someone burst into your home armed with anything... handgun or rifle or shotgun, they will run your business regardless of what you have to reach for simply because they will have their gun in their hand and you will be reaching your hand out for a gun. If you have a handgun in your shorts... you may get to fire back a shot or two. But if they burst into your home and you have to go get something other than a weapon secreted under the couch cushions, you will be toast.

Reality is that one is better off putting up properly thought out security features such as fence, outside lighting, alarms, quality doors/windows. Then and only then is it worthwhile to pay any attention to some sort of firearm. Do the other stuff first. Then do motion detectors, etc. inside, a safe room, and... a firearm of whatever type you think best. For most folks, that's a shotgun.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10   #8
SGT HATRED

I would say my best advantage is knowing the lay of the land. With that in mind my home defense plan is to wait at the top of the stairs around a 90 corner with my benelli m3. No one else in the house on the lower levels. Hopefully the dog and alarm will provide sufficient notice of the invasion.
SGT HATRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11   #9
Aahzz
Who?

Same as with any home invasion - my M&P Shield is in the pocket of my "lounging round the house" shorts at all times. I will do what I can as fast as I can make the split second decision to both get my kids and Mrs Aahzz out of the way while providing cover/return fire/etc. There are plans in place, but it largely depends on where Mrs Aahzz and the kids are in the house at the time.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11   #10
Longtooths

Send a message via ICQ to Longtooths
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy tom View Post
The perps probably used a marlin 60 with a broken stock = AK/AR/machine gun in the eyes of the media.

No doubt!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:13   #11
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Cameras and alarms would allow for an ambush. I'm sure an ambush is illegal, but if the BG came in while you were practicing home invasion drills....
Old 10-02-2012, 07:50   #12
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post

Reality is that one is better off putting up properly thought out security features such as fence, outside lighting, alarms, quality doors/windows. Then and only then is it worthwhile to pay any attention to some sort of firearm. Do the other stuff first. Then do motion detectors, etc. inside, a safe room, and... a firearm of whatever type you think best. For most folks, that's a shotgun.

I concur that a good really strong door will do a much better job of allowing one to potentially prevail in a home invasion than any specific choice of firearm. That and avoiding drugs and associations with criminals/gang members.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:55   #13
Altaris

A rifle would not change my response at all. You break into my home with any type of weapon, and I will do the same response which is using mine first(most likely pistol since it is always next to me).
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:56   #14
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
Cameras and alarms would allow for an ambush. I'm sure an ambush is illegal, but if the BG came in while you were practicing home invasion drills....
Best I can figure, an ambush would only be illegal in a state that has a "duty to retreat" since you could have retreated instead of waiting. I doubt if most states require you to retreat from your own home.

Here, ambush is allowed. A recent example: 92-year-old WWII vet not charged after killing home intruder

Quote:
Jones told The Kentucky Enquirer he heard a noise in his basement around 2 a.m. Monday and grabbed his .22-caliber rifle. He sat in a chair with a clear view of the door, saying he fired when the intruder burst in.

"I aimed right for his heart," said Jones, who served in the military from 1941 through 1946.
Old 10-02-2012, 19:21   #15
fwm

Quote:
If someone burst into your home armed with anything... handgun or rifle or shotgun, they will run your business regardless of what you have to reach for simply because they will have their gun in their hand and you will be reaching your hand out for a gun. If you have a handgun in your shorts... you may get to fire back a shot or two. But if they burst into your home and you have to go get something other than a weapon secreted under the couch cushions, you will be toast.
As I read this, I am indeed comforted by the pistol residing in my shorts. I have lived in places in the past that taught me no place is safe if you don't make it safe.
Old 10-02-2012, 20:25   #16
gatorboy

First is to avoid drugs and scumbags, live in a decent neighborhood.

Second tier is having sound barrier doors and windows with proper lighting and security. A sign announcing video and audio recording (whether there or not) won't hurt.

Multiple trained dogs and never doing anything without a firearm of some sort is the second tier of my plan.

Main thing is have garage door shut as much as possible. Most untargeted home invasions are homes in nice areas with garage door left open - day or night. If you have nice stuff and people such as landscape crews, pool guys, cable, electricians see something while working; they may come back.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:37   #17
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

The Okie Corral

Plus

The Okie Corral
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:40   #18
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

!2 ga, 00 buck. I think that trumps an AR in home range.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:42   #19
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:

This is a good reason to keep your gun on your person while in your home.

I seldom do this anymore, but it's no less a good idea.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:48   #20
jp3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
Doesn't Jerry Miculek live in Shreveport? The BG would be in for his worst nightmare in Jerry's home.
He lives in Princeton...about 20 miles or so East of Shreveport.

And yeah...I wouldnt want to break into a world record holder for shooting fast.

Last edited by jp3975; 10-02-2012 at 20:49..
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:55   #21
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

No different than any harmed home invasion. Shoot first, shoot accurately, and hope for the best.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:06   #22
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
First is to avoid drugs and scumbags, live in a decent neighborhood.
As often as the cops raid the wrong house, criminals do it far more often. Avoiding drugs and scumbags is a false sense of security, as they can come for you, even if it is through stupidity.

Example. I live at: ABC Liberty Road. (Fake address)
Another fellow with the same first and last name lived at:
ABC Liberty Street.(Similar Fake address)

I got his motorcycle insurance bills, doctor bills, tax refund checks, and when he died a lot of sympathy cards. If he had a bad drug deal go down, I could very well have been attacked in the middle of the night with no warning.

It can happen.

And in my world, decent neighborhoods are what DRAW criminals to the area. More to steal than in bad neighborhoods.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:27   #23
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
The Okie Corral

Plus

The Okie Corral
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31   #24
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

Agreed.

If a man enters your house with a rifle and has the element of surprise your goose is cooked in most cases. That said, I'd like a shotgun if its a situation where I actually have time to take defensive measures.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35   #25
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
This is a good reason to keep your gun on your person while in your home.

I seldom do this anymore, but it's no less a good idea.
It is so damned inconvenient though. At some point you have to do a risk assessment and make some judgement calls. For me, that means I am just a few steps away from a gun anywhere in my house, but I'm not carrying here.

I do know someone that was killed recently in his home and his stashed handgun was untouched, though there are some indications it may have been a professional hit.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote