SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:25   #1
Wesley w/Glock

Send a message via Yahoo to Wesley w/Glock

Ford Motor New Police Interceptor

This is my first time posting at GT in something like five (5) years.

Check out Fordís new police interceptor.
see: Ford Police Interceptor
Wesley w/Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:27   #2
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Yes, we have been discussing them a bit . . .

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:56   #3
bccop

Cop Talk

Welcome back.

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC

Last edited by bccop; 10-01-2012 at 09:57..
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:00   #4
collim1
Shower Time!

I got another CVPI this year. This next year we aren't sure what we are gonna get. Chief is trying to get us Tahoes, but the city council is fighting it hard. Not sure what we will end up with, but we need some new rides ASAP.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:19   #5
blueiron
Clown move, bro

While you were gone, I retired and got this as a take home vehicle!

Cop Talk

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 14:34   #6
Rex G

Send a message via AIM to Rex G
My patrol division has one or two of these, plus a couple of Caprices. Officers seem to like them. My PD acquired a mix of these new Fords, Caprices, and a few Tahoes, seemingly in an effort to see what rises to the top.

A Tahoe was briefly loaned to us, to be evaluated by several officers on each shift for one week each. I and one other officer seemed to be the only ones who gave the Tahoe high
evaluation commentary, at my division, and it looks like that Tahoe ended up with the truck
enforcement detail, which uses Tahoes and pickups. I am driving one of the latest delivery
of Crown Vics, which I really hope will not be crashed by one of the young bucks on evening shift.
Rex G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 14:40   #7
mj9mm

Cop Talkfor real cops
mj9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:17   #8
Vigilant

Danners.
Old 10-01-2012, 17:28   #9
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj9mm View Post
Cop Talkfor real cops
I'm a little partial to Pepper here

Cop Talk

Got a little work to do before we're ready for mounted patrol. Honestly its me that needs the most work, but she needs another year of age on her before I'd trust her in a crowd.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:32   #10
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj9mm View Post
Cop Talkfor real cops
Is that the slower neutered Ford Mustang?

Last edited by razdog76; 10-01-2012 at 17:33..
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:38   #11
Wesley w/Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
Is that the slower neutered Ford Mustang?
I'm betting there has been no gelding here. I really doubt though that it is... street legal.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:11   #12
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

There's been some talk that when we start replacing our CVPIs, the Ford Interceptor SUV is the likely replacement. Who knows if this rumor has any merit.....
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturityĒ Sigmund Freud

Last edited by txleapd; 10-02-2012 at 04:12..
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:43   #13
Wesley w/Glock

Having no LE experience I don't want to be the arm-chair expert on optimum CVPI selection as I am sure many factors weigh heavily including creature comforts. From my own professional perspective however I wonder if electrical energy delivery anomalies have been observed. The problem is that the 12 Volt system is only capable of delivering about 3kW. The industry was going to migrate to a 42 Volt system but then for practical considerations found it was too expensive. They therefore began to adapt 12V to fill the gap mainly by implementing load shedding.

The obvious consideration is what do you do when cars come off the assembly line maxed out for energy delivery and then get fitted with an assortment of after market utility accessories. By definition it is a problem generic to 12V. The after market accessories would not be participating in the vehicle microprocessor controlled load shedding and could potentially bring down the system voltage under extreme conditions. A vehicle coming off the assembly line specifically intended for CVPI delivery would at least have an edge.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:46   #14
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley w/Glock View Post
This is my first time posting at GT in something like five (5) years.

Check out Fordís new police interceptor.
see: Ford Police Interceptor
All wheel drive cars are more prone to repair than two wheel drives. I bet in the future the departments will find this out and go with the Chargers. I like the Tahoes in black..very intimidating looking.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:59   #15
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley w/Glock View Post
Having no LE experience I don't want to be the arm-chair expert on optimum CVPI selection as I am sure many factors weigh heavily including creature comforts. From my own professional perspective however I wonder if electrical energy delivery anomalies have been observed. The problem is that the 12 Volt system is only capable of delivering about 3kW. The industry was going to migrate to a 42 Volt system but then for practical considerations found it was too expensive. They therefore began to adapt 12V to fill the gap mainly by implementing load shedding.

The obvious consideration is what do you do when cars come off the assembly line maxed out for energy delivery and then get fitted with an assortment of after market utility accessories. By definition it is a problem generic to 12V. The after market accessories would not be participating in the vehicle microprocessor controlled load shedding and could potentially bring down the system voltage under extreme conditions. A vehicle coming off the assembly line specifically intended for CVPI delivery would at least have an edge.
Actually, modern light bars use LED's which are vastly more efficient than the old stuff... my non LED light bar has a 30 amp fuse. The CVPI has a beefier alternator, than a regular crown vic, still I think they tend to wear them out quicker.
Old 10-02-2012, 15:58   #16
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Our install shop is installing a second battery for the equipment. Even with all LEDs, between the lights, the laptop, the thermal printer, the flashlight charger and so on, batteries usually last a year before they die in our rigs. So much space in the trunk is eaten up by all the crap and spare battery these days.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Old 10-02-2012, 22:45   #17
Annhl8rX

We just got an Interceptor to try out a couple of weeks ago. I drive it for the first time last night. I suppose it's an upgrade from the Crown Vic, but I didn't like it near as much as out Charger demo car. It has no more room (possibly less) than the Crown Vic. I never thought it would be possible, but the visibility is worse than the CV, too (although I suppose that depends on your cage and other equipment). It'll move, but it's nothing to write home about.
Old 10-02-2012, 22:46   #18
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

I think the back window is smaller.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Old 10-03-2012, 03:55   #19
CanIhaveGasCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
All wheel drive cars are more prone to repair than two wheel drives. I bet in the future the departments will find this out and go with the Chargers.
While I don't dispute that AWD systems are not as sturdy as a solid axle rear wheel drive system, they are not as repair prone as everyone seems to think they are. We have had our AWD patrol cars going on 5 years and haven't had to make a single repair to the AWD system.
CanIhaveGasCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:37   #20
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Our install shop is installing a second battery for the equipment. Even with all LEDs, between the lights, the laptop, the thermal printer, the flashlight charger and so on, batteries usually last a year before they die in our rigs. So much space in the trunk is eaten up by all the crap and spare battery these days.
Two batteries, does that mean it will croak in two years now? I'm thinking there is something else going on since the alternator is going to provide the juice.
Old 10-03-2012, 13:28   #21
AJE
*goes to 11*

Send a message via AIM to AJE Send a message via Yahoo to AJE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIhaveGasCash View Post
While I don't dispute that AWD systems are not as sturdy as a solid axle rear wheel drive system, they are not as repair prone as everyone seems to think they are. We have had our AWD patrol cars going on 5 years and haven't had to make a single repair to the AWD system.
What sort of geography are we talking for your patrol area?

We have 420 square miles of rural farm land, some of which open flat state routes, some of them crappy potholed farm roads, and the occasional gravel/dirt road (or long driveway).

Oh, and usually only a few of us working, so I've had 15 or 20 mile emergency runs.
Old 10-03-2012, 13:37   #22
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Oh great, a new crop of white cars with spotlights and HF antennas waiting to be sold to wanna-be's 10 years from now.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote