Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:51   #1
J.Kill

I LOATHE my HOA!!

I am renting a townhouse that has a HOA... I know... Stupid me! Anyway, when we moved in we registered our plates for parking. I used to take home a work car when I was on call(would leave my POV at work) but stopped due to little yellow pieces of paper under the windshield that said the vehicle would be towed since it didn't have the 1"x1" parking sticker.

Two weeks ago the wife and I bought a new car and I transferred the tags... The same tags that are registered... This morning I go outside and my brand new car is gone. After I called the PD to report it stolen they said they were notified it was towed. I contacted a rep with the HOA and he told me it was towed because it didn't have that little parking sticker and even though the plate was registered it didn't matter since it didn't have the sticker. I asked what ever happened to leaving the "warnings" on the car so I could have gotten a new sticker since I JUST bought it...and my old car was here 3 months before they finally sent the stickers without a problem. He told me they don't leave the yellow papers anymore since people don't listen to them anyway so now they just tow cars without warning. $175 later I have my car back... I know I'll lose but it's going to be an all out *****fest on Monday when we call the main office.

I can't wait until April and I can move the hell out of here!!
J.Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 13:12   #2
Ragnar

I'd be getting my $175 back outta someone's ass.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 13:14   #3
okie
GT Mayor

Good luck to you my friend
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 13:28   #4
ron59
Bustin Caps

yeah, that's a load of crap.

I lived in a few places with HOAs, but they weren't super Nazi'ish about things. But I've heard some real horror stories, yours is way up there. Bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
“WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!”
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 13:37   #5
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

move!

j/k but that sucks and is pretty low they would do that.

stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 13:39   #6
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I'd be getting my $175 back outta someone's ass.

What good is a HOA?????

I have never heard anything good about them.

Old 10-13-2012, 13:47   #7
Gregg702
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post

What good is a HOA?????

I live in a large gated community called Rhodes Ranch. Our HOA makes sure people take care of their front yards, don't leave their trash out, they provide security, take care of and manage all the recreation grounds, including community pools, water park, gym, rec center, and the golf course and golf club. It is worth the $175/month I pay. It helps that it is run by people who care about the community, not just people in it for the power trip.
Old 10-13-2012, 14:00   #8
TK-421

After living in regular suburbs for all my life, I don't think I could ever live in a place with an HOA, too many horror stories, too many stupid rules. I live in the USA because I want to have the freedom to do what I want. If I wanted someone constantly telling me I have to keep my lawn looking good, and to keep the front of my house clean, and all that, I'd live in a different country. I've even heard of stories where HOAs have banned kids from playing outside, in the front or the backyards, because they don't think it provides a proper image for the community.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 14:11   #9
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

It's pretty easy to stay within the rules in mine,in 5 years have only been fussed at once and it was minor.

They aren't parking nazi's unless a car does't have a valid plate on it.

And then I can back it up against the garage so they can't see the plate

Okie is one KooL Cat
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 14:17   #10
Cmacc

I'd be getting $175 worth of feel good out of someone over the next few months. Be creative, take your time and always smile and wave.
Old 10-13-2012, 14:24   #11
RonS

You can't fight city hall. I would make sure that I dedicated the rest of my life to making someone's life a living hell on earth however.
Old 10-13-2012, 14:26   #12
Beretta92guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
After living in regular suburbs for all my life, I don't think I could ever live in a place with an HOA, too many horror stories, too many stupid rules. I live in the USA because I want to have the freedom to do what I want. If I wanted someone constantly telling me I have to keep my lawn looking good, and to keep the front of my house clean, and all that, I'd live in a different country. I've even heard of stories where HOAs have banned kids from playing outside, in the front or the backyards, because they don't think it provides a proper image for the community.
ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY correct........

why in the hell would you want to live in some communist dictatorship of a HOA????

i live on a street that is not HOA, but once you go past the four-way stop about a half-block up my street there is a HOA neighborhood, and my house is not included.......

about a year ago i get a knock on my door and its two people doing neighborhood HOA watches..i guess they were new to the HOA and did not know the boundary ended at the stop sign.......they proceeded to tell me that my grass was too tall and i could not park my car on the street after 7 pm....

i told them to go choke on an ethiopian goats nut bag and get the hell off of my NON HOA property......and was not the least bit polite when i said those exact words, either......

oh yeah, i forgot, my town had a nationally published news story about a couple suing their HOA because they had a child who had a disability and they built her a playhouse in the BACK YARD....the HOA sued them to get it removed.......the courts backed the HOA.....and the couple sold the house and told the HOA to shove it where the sun don't shine......

Last edited by Beretta92guy; 10-13-2012 at 14:33..
Beretta92guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 14:31   #13
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Crap like this is one of the reasons I waited to buy a house until I could find a nice new subdivision without an HOA.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 15:24   #14
VC-Racing
General Flunky

I say " lawyer up" and let them handle it. A nicely worded letter or phone call could resolve this issue . Sometimes

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 10-13-2012, 16:05   #15
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Sounds like your car is parked in a communal space/area.

I don't want my new (or old crappy) car out in the wild with those idiot door dingers, if I can help it
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 16:51   #16
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post

What good is a HOA?????

It's a fact properties in developments with HOA are worth more than developments without. The houses are usually better kept, there are no chartreuse or Pepto-Bismol pink houses, the yards are neat. Yeah, they can be a PITA but most exist simply to keep property values up and ensure people in the development can enjoy their properties to the fullest without worrying about how the state of their neighbors property affects the value of theirs. Full disclosure: I was head of a small HOA for a couple of years. Not because I wanted to but because no one else wanted to do it and if we didn't have one the state of Florida was going to hire someone to manage the HOA at our expense.
Old 10-13-2012, 17:04   #17
wellcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBaldy View Post
It's a fact properties in developments with HOA are worth more than developments without. The houses are usually better kept, there are no chartreuse or Pepto-Bismol pink houses, the yards are neat. Yeah, they can be a PITA but most exist simply to keep property values up and ensure people in the development can enjoy their properties to the fullest without worrying about how the state of their neighbors property affects the value of theirs. Full disclosure: I was head of a small HOA for a couple of years. Not because I wanted to but because no one else wanted to do it and if we didn't have one the state of Florida was going to hire someone to manage the HOA at our expense.
Can you provide some proof that HOA increase property value???
wellcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 17:36   #18
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post

He didn't say that .

At best, he said "maintain property values".
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 18:29   #19
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
Not proof but an elaboration of what I was talking about:

http://www.vf-law.com/articles/commu...roperty-values

I got it mainly from real estate agents and looking at HOA vs non-HOA developments. HOA properties usually looked nicer.

I will say when we moved from that development both of us agreed one criteria was no HOA.
Old 10-13-2012, 18:30   #20
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
He didn't say that .

At best, he said "maintain property values".
True. I'm not talking new sales, I'm talking resale homes that are at least several years old.
Old 10-13-2012, 18:38   #21
Bring_it!

HOA, not for me!
Just repainted our house and didn't have to ask anyone for permission.

gen 2 G21, gen 3 G30SF, & others
Bring_it! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 18:44   #22
wrenrj1

Get involved with your HOA and provide some balance to their decision making. I'd guess that your fellow members may have had the same experience. In my HOA, they can't do anything until they notify the home owner when someone from the board verifies the situation exists. They try to take care of it internally. Usually it's about RV's being parked in driveways, but it still comes down to someone complaining, and that's rare during camping season..
Old 10-13-2012, 18:47   #23
mixflip

What a coincidence. I just woke up to my new F150 4x4 gone this morning too. The contracted tow company towed it even though I had an HOA issued sticker.

My HOA ran out of stickers that said my complex's name so they issued me a generic pass that just said "visitor".

Well, the towing company was told it was a fake by one of the HOA managers (not the same guy who issued it to me) and this guy approved them to tow it.

Towing fees are $336. Since it was towed on a friday there is an after hours fee of $65 a day. HOA is closed til monday.

After I ripped someone a new A-hole over the phone I miraculously got my truck back free of charge!!! The HOA ate the $336 towing fee believe it or not lol. I guess my verbal judo skills are strong? Normally you have to pay the towing fee and fight the HOA for reimbursement.

Last edited by mixflip; 10-13-2012 at 18:49..
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 18:53   #24
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Yeah, one thing I've always looked for when buying a house is NO HOA. Even if they start out helpful they won't stay that way.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:00   #25
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

HOAs. More government for people who just can't get enough.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote