Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:11   #1
RussP

Earlier report on CJ Grisham Jury deadlock totally wrong...5 voted guilty

It was earlier reported by Grisham and his attorney that the deadlock was 5 to acquit and 1 guilty.

Grisham and his attorney were shocked to learn that it was the other way around:
Quote:
TX: COUNTY ATTORNEY REVEALS SHOCKING ‘TRUTH’ ABOUT GRISHAM VERDICT
Quote:
BELTON, Texas – October 22, 2013

In a complete reversal of what officials told the public following the sensational mistrial of Master Sgt. C.J. Grisham for the misdemeanor offense of interfering with a public official, Bell County Attorney Jim Nichols set the record straight in a courthouse interview with a citizen who wanted to confirm the truth.

But, according to what Nichols said, a juror named L.J. Cotterill misinformed the public when he said in a post-trial interview that five held out for acquittal, while only one juror voted to convict. Cotterill could not be reached for comment...

When Grisham and his defense team arrived for a speaking appearance Saturday in San Antonio at the Alamo “Line in the Sand” rally, their perspective changed upon learning something brand new – at least to them.

“We didn’t know until Saturday that it was five to convict and one to acquit.”
The following day, Cotterill did give an interview...
Quote:
TX: DONTCOMPLY.COM SPEAKS TO JUROR AS BELL COUNTY PROSECUTION OF GRISHAM CASE CONTINUES
Quote:
L.J. Cotterill, one of six jurors from the U.S. Army Master Sgt. C.J. Grisham trial, spoke with Matthew Short of DontComply.com regarding his four-day Bell County courtroom experience which rendered a hung jury with a five to convict, one to acquit vote.

After qualifying that he was speaking only on his own behalf, Cotterill called the trial an “interesting event.”

...The jury composition included corrections officer Cotterill, a law enforcement officer and a Marine. He said all but one – the individual who voted “not guilty” – were pro-gun.
There is a whole lot more about the process the jury went through in this story. You need to read the whole thing...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:28   #2
Lord

if anything, it shows that prosecuting this case was not about Grisham exercising rights and being arrested or even confronted when he never should have been... but rather prosecuting Grisham in order to defend the actions of the LEO. When they put it into the perspective of "did he do it", well of course they would have to say "yes, he did". That was never really in question since the videos show it (both Grisham's and I assume the dashcam). But finding someone guilty is not always about "did he do it" since people who have killed other people (i.e. zimmerman) have left no question about "did he do it". but rather the intent when the action was committed or the circumstances that led up to the action itself.
Leaving the jurors with no other option but to weigh in on whether or not he did without the option of considering the circumstances surrounding the events it is almost tantamount to assuring that there could be no acquittal.
I'm sure a conviction could be overturned on appeal if that were used as the basis of the arguement.

Last edited by Lord; 10-30-2013 at 11:29..
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 20:17   #3
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

So what's the over- under on how many hung juries both sides will endure before one side blinks? I say one more hung jury and the prosecution will offer to dismiss with prejudice as long as probable cause is stipulated. I also say that after one more hung jury, particularly if the vote to convict is as lopsided as this one was, Grisham's attorneys will advise him to take that deal and give up his dreams of winning the lottery off of the officer's badge.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:42   #4
Gamma_Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
if anything, it shows that prosecuting this case was not about Grisham exercising rights and being arrested or even confronted when he never should have been... but rather prosecuting Grisham in order to defend the actions of the LEO. When they put it into the perspective of "did he do it", well of course they would have to say "yes, he did". That was never really in question since the videos show it (both Grisham's and I assume the dashcam). But finding someone guilty is not always about "did he do it" since people who have killed other people (i.e. zimmerman) have left no question about "did he do it". but rather the intent when the action was committed or the circumstances that led up to the action itself.
Leaving the jurors with no other option but to weigh in on whether or not he did without the option of considering the circumstances surrounding the events it is almost tantamount to assuring that there could be no acquittal.
I'm sure a conviction could be overturned on appeal if that were used as the basis of the arguement.
While I agree that this arrest and prosecution are purely COC, I can't find any case law that speaks to what constitutes "interference" in Texas. Can you? Can anyone?
Gamma_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote