Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-21-2012, 19:20   #1
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

spare rifle and pistol mag loadout

http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI-Drop-Leg-...-p/hsg.307.htm

I carry three pistol mags and a 20 round pmag on my belt.

In light of the **** shows I've been sent to lately, I want to have more available. Something I can throw on in a hurry. Plate carriers for patrol are not an option.

Anyone use one of these guys?
Old 08-21-2012, 19:29   #2
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Looks good. But, I don't have one since I am not on a SORT.

I would probably just load up my pants pockets and bring in a tactical bag of some sort from here at the house. Load that up as well. Keep a bottle of water handy, and some snacks handy, and make sure my insulin pump is topped off, if this is a preplanned event.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 19:54   #3
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

This is ammo management only. For not so preplanned activities.
Old 08-21-2012, 20:25   #4
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Are you planning on carrying that all the time or for a quick throw on?

When you say "plate carriers are not an option," do you mean you can't keep a well stocked vest in the car to throw on in a rush? That would be my first choice.

The KHP Turnpike Troopers have a very nice setup with a bail-out-vest. The vest has a ton of mags for the AR (I believe their sidearm mags have spots, too). There are also pockets for other things such as flashlights. It looks like a SWAT vest, but won't hold any plates. It's kickass.

Also, how do you keep a 20 rounder on your belt? Home-made rig?

Last edited by nikerret; 08-21-2012 at 20:26..
nikerret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 20:26   #5
Kahr_Glockman

I think something like that or a maxpedition man bag would be cool
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 21:02   #6
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I built a Safariland drop leg rig based on the 6005. The detacahable end goes on the inner belt so as not to interfere with room on the duty belt. Three AR mags go on the rig. It's lighter than the quad subload I had before that. No handgun magazines in there, but it's open top, kydex, no velcro, no straps, etc.

I'll see what I can do about a picture. Not in a position to take one right now.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 21:41   #7
Ohio Copper

I've been pondering the same setup. I'd like a 3 ar mag pouch on a drop leg with maybe a CAT and a couple glow sticks in a pouch. Just something I can grab and carry in my support hand if need be until I can get it slung on. Still searching amazon and such

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 21:57   #8
Schaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post

a guy i work with has a rig that holds his pistol mags and a 20 round rifle mag behind it. Been meaning to ask him about it.
Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 23:26   #9
JBUS
I'mHellaJelly!

There's a guy running a 30 rounder horizontal behind his pistol mag pouches on his duty belt.

It just looks really bulky.

I have a SKD PIG with HSGI rifle/pistol tacos/blow out and ESAPI's in the trunk as well as an Orignal SOE Micro rig as well. 4 mags and an IFAK. It can be worn as a chest rig or sling bag like.
JBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 00:20   #10
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
Are you planning on carrying that all the time or for a quick throw on?

When you say "plate carriers are not an option," do you mean you can't keep a well stocked vest in the car to throw on in a rush? That would be my first choice.

The KHP Turnpike Troopers have a very nice setup with a bail-out-vest. The vest has a ton of mags for the AR (I believe their sidearm mags have spots, too). There are also pockets for other things such as flashlights. It looks like a SWAT vest, but won't hold any plates. It's kickass.

Yep, we can't wear external kit like that. Don't ask me why. That's why I sold my swat vest to articulate or I would have kept it.

My AR mag holder is made by COM Holsters. Steve makes one too at ColoradoHolster.com

I wear it on my duty belt. Behind my pistol. I shoot rifle right handed and pistol lefty so it works very well.

Old 08-22-2012, 00:20   #11
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I built a Safariland drop leg rig based on the 6005. The detacahable end goes on the inner belt so as not to interfere with room on the duty belt. Three AR mags go on the rig. It's lighter than the quad subload I had before that. No handgun magazines in there, but it's open top, kydex, no velcro, no straps, etc.

I'll see what I can do about a picture. Not in a position to take one right now.
I want pics!

Old 08-22-2012, 02:42   #12
pgg00

I have a bail out bag next to my rifle loaded with 6 pmags and 6 spare pistol mags. Also has water and granola bars. If I have time I'll grab my tac team vest instead with it's loadout. All depends on what's going on and what I have time for.

My concern with a leg rig like that is being able to run and taking time to attach it. Would a bail out bag be quicker and easier for you instead? While I would say that a vest carrier of some sorts would be best, right now your admin hasn't allowed that to be an option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:45   #13
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgg00 View Post
I have a bail out bag next to my rifle loaded with 6 pmags and 6 spare pistol mags. Also has water and granola bars. If I have time I'll grab my tac team vest instead with it's loadout. All depends on what's going on and what I have time for.

My concern with a leg rig like that is being able to run and taking time to attach it. Would a bail out bag be quicker and easier for you instead? While I would say that a vest carrier of some sorts would be best, right now your admin hasn't allowed that to be an option.
I've had good luck with the subload. Clip it to the receiver buckle on my belt, wrap the two straps around my leg and clip the buckles. Done. Properly tensioned straps are no issue for running and it takes about ten seconds to put it on. It also doesn't interfere with your rifle and sling.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:48   #14
socalchuckster

I carry a rifle/handgun mag load out thigh mounted rig, I keep the female clip on my underbelt so it doesnt take up room on my duty belt. The pouches are both made by TAG and are great products. The rifle pouch is a 4 mag shingle pack with molle on the outside of it and simple velcro flaps with big tabs that make it easy to pull open. The inside of the shingle pouch has seperate elastic dividers so when you take one mag out the rest of the mags don't bounce around or make noise. On the outside of the shingle pouch I have a TAG tripple enhanced handgun mag pouch, which is their newer design that is open top with magnets sewn into the pouch so it holds the mags in really good. It holds my Glock mags in there nice and secure and even while running or going prone I don't have an issue of the mags comming out. I'm at patrol rifle instructor school now so on my break i'll try to take a picture of it and post it up.
socalchuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:57   #15
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
I shoot rifle right handed and pistol lefty so it works very well.

Of all the things I have heard of, that is a first for me. How did you manage to get that skill down?
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:27   #16
PinkoCommie
Unusual Member

My setup is a lot simpler than the kind of gear you would even glance at

I have a Blackhawk rifle bandoleer (http://goo.gl/hznv5) with spare mags, a couple quick-clot sponges and a big compression bandage. Not very "cool", but practical, simple, and inexpensive.

Quote:
I shoot rifle right handed and pistol lefty so it works very well.
You're... hmm... interesting.
This wasn't me... --DaBigBR
I was hauling a large quotient of ass. --Cochese
PinkoCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:45   #17
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Yep, we can't wear external kit like that. Don't ask me why. That's why I sold my swat vest to articulate or I would have kept it.

My AR mag holder is made by COM Holsters. Steve makes one too at ColoradoHolster.com

I wear it on my duty belt. Behind my pistol. I shoot rifle right handed and pistol lefty so it works very well.

I always knew you were an odd one.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:22   #18
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I know several shooters who shoot long guns opposite their dominant hand. Usually due to the opposite eye being dominant.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:41   #19
bccop

Quote:
Vests and helmets are issued with the rifle.

Here's my setup. I keep debating on picking up a pistol mag pouch that mounts directly onto the Nexus Fast Mag but heard it sticks out too much. I keep the 20 rounder in the pouch just in case I don't have time to get to my tac vest (with 30 round mags x 2) in the trunk.

I just transitioned from a Safariland 070 to the 6304 2 weeks ago. I do like the new holster. However, it's going to take a while getting used to a new draw and overcoming almost 13 years of muscle memory.

Cop Talk

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC

Last edited by bccop; 08-22-2012 at 13:21..
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:41   #20
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Rif...r,856,1388.htm

I carry one of these in my car. I don't throw it around my shoulder, but rather just snap it around my waist. It works great. Gets in the way of my taser, but it's a tradeoff I can make - if I need this much ammo, I likely am not in taser mode.

Last edited by SPDSNYPR; 08-22-2012 at 12:41..
SPDSNYPR is offline   Reply With Quote