GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:07   #1
Ernroe

Anyone using the Clipdraw in place of a IWB holster?

I realize there is no universal 'BEST' way to carry a concealed handgun. There are a lot of different factors that come into play such as but not limited to; size and shape of gun, size and shape of person, and type of clothing worn. That being said, I have found that for me the Clipdraw method is the most suitable. I have them installed on 3 J frames, a Glock 33 and Para Ord Carry 9. I have used them for over a year and never had a retention problem and they take up less space than a holster and are more comfortable.

Be Good,

Ernie
Ernroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:48   #2
hamster
NRA Life Member

Personally I would never use a clip draw on it's own as a "holster."

In my book the primary function of a holster is to securely cover the trigger guard area.

If you are looking for minimalistic carry while still covering the trigger, I'd look at a Vanguard 2
Carry Issues
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:55   #3
B.Reid

I used a clipdraw for awhile with a Lightweight Officers ACP, it didn't work to well because the ACP was grip heavy and would rotate out of the waistband. It would probably work well with a longer barrel.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:12   #4
Ernroe

I place the Clip under the belt between the waistband and the belt. The trigger is covered by the waist band and the belt. It works for me.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:15   #5
rilkil23

I have the technaclip on my LCP and my LC9. I only use them in combination with my smartcarry holster or a pocket holster. The LC9 has a manual safety so I have toted it in my waistband but found I was getting enough moisture on the slide to cause rusting.
rilkil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33   #6
roberev

Ernie,

I used to carry my Glock 23 with a Clipcarry. I used a Raven Vanguard 1 to cover the trigger so that I could carry with a round in the chamber safely. I appendix carry, so this was very comfortable and versatile for me.

There were two drawbacks to this set up, however. First, while this setup keeps the gun from falling down your pant leg, it does not keep the gun from riding up off of your belt. Second, Clipcarry is not tuckable.

I recently graduated to the Raven Vanguard 2. It is much more secure than the Clipcarry and it solves the two problems that I just mentioned. I recommend that you give it some consideration for your Glock (as it currently is available only for Glocks . . . for now).

Rob

Last edited by roberev; 10-03-2012 at 08:51..
roberev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 13:42   #7
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Clipdraw is dangerous and anyone who advocates carrying a weapon IWB without covering the trigger is a moron.

Last edited by mrsurfboard; 10-01-2012 at 13:42..
mrsurfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 18:37   #8
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurfboard View Post
Clipdraw is dangerous and anyone who advocates carrying a weapon IWB without covering the trigger is a moron.
On my clip draw, the trigger is covered by my belly on the inside and by the belt on the outside. The only way the trigger can get pulled is by someone sticking a finger in my pants. Not going to happen.

More concerned about slipping it on. Have to make sure the trigger isn't caught on the belt going in. Same as making sure it doesn't catch on a holster going in. (That has happened many times) Carried that way for over ten years.

ETA: For ten years I have been asking doubters to give me examples of clip carry accidents related to carrying. (Note - I do NOT include Mexican carry in this format. Totally different )
I have yet to see any responses other than opinions.

Show me valid accident information and I will re-evaluate my methods.

Last edited by fwm; 10-01-2012 at 19:12..
fwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 20:53   #9
DaneA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernroe View Post
I realize there is no universal 'BEST' way to carry a concealed handgun.
Actually there is. With the trigger covered. Particularly when it comes to a Glock. Too many potential problems such as clothing getting bound up in the trigger guard.
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 21:09   #10
frankmako

i use the clip draw for several pistols. a s&w model 36, a model 60, and a glock 27. i used the kel tec clip on a p11 and p3at. i never had a problem with it coming out of my pants. my guns had never gone off because it was not in a holster. the trigger is covered by my paints and shirt. it works for me and i have not had any problems.
frankmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 21:34   #11
Ernroe

As I stated earlier there is no universal agreement on the best way to carry a concealed handgun. My preference is the Clipdraw and has been for for the past 2 years. I have them installed on 3 J frames, a Glock 33 and a Para Carry 9. Now, I understand the inherent safety problems w/ the Glock and therefore use a Saf T Blok [URL="http://www.Glockstore.com"]www.Glockstore.com[/URL] to prevent trigger movement. As to the J frames the belt and body cover the the trigger and to access the trigger one pulls the gun upward the same as a holster. The Carry 9 has a manual safety but must be pulled upward to manipulate the trigger just as you would with a holster.

Re: Mr Surfboard, you gracious way of expressing your opinion tells me all I need to know.
Old 10-01-2012, 22:49   #12
collim1
Shower Time!

Not for me, I have got to have a holster attached to the belt, no paddles, and retention. I prefer leather OWB with a thumb break.

Doesn't conceal as well, but is much more secure IMO. I am not worried about 100% concealment.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15   #13
carlspeed

It's amazing that every time this topic comes up, it's almost immediately followed with a bunch of, at least what seems like, 1911 guys talking about how their single action pull is so fragile that even a mosquito fart from the next door country will set off their auto pistol, and they are constantly petrified of their gun going off. After that, it's commonly followed by people who think that carrying a gun with no round in the chamber is somehow this great profound discovery that the mall ninja (who, granted, is a blackbelt at jackassery) at the knife store taught them. I'm not really sure where get these theories from, because even with a 2lb trigger on a 1911, you have a safety. With a Glock, you have a longer pull, and some stupid deal in the middle that makes it go bang only when a force is placed onto a trigger commeasure with a finger pulling the bang switch. This also applies to a small auto pistol that has a 5-7lb trigger pull. It's not going to go off. It has the same protection, EG: clothing, that a simplistic Uncle Mike's nylon holster has. But that's fine though, cause it's a "holster" right partners?

In any event, I take pride knowing that I'm the ONLY person in the world that has figured out how to carry a gun shoved in my pants with a belt clip, and has been able to avoid pulling the trigger on accident for the last 8 years.

Bottom line. Safeties fail. Holsters get stuffs in them, pull triggers, which fires bullets through seats. These things happen when people don't pay attention. Your best bet is to do the following. Be careful when you holster, or put your pocket clipped pistol into your belt. Don't put your finger on the bang switch until you're ready to fire. If you do these, your gun will not go off unless you want it to. Some of you are probably thinking, "that's not possible." And you guys, should keep carrying your holsters that are twice as large as the gun that's in them.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38   #14
PhotoFeller

Yea, I like the ClipDraw, but I carry chamber empty. I have misgivings about carrying a Glock C1 without a good holster, especially for anyone new to CC.

My intro to this carry concept started years ago with revolvers and a device called Hip Grip. The Hip Grip is a plastic revolver grip with a lip moulded into it that is carried IWB by hooking over the belt or waist band. Some of you old-timers might remember this product. I never worried about carrying a fully-loaded revolver this way because the trigger pull is long and heavy.

When I started carrying Glocks, I decided C3 is best given my modest skill level and the absence of a manual safety. The ClipDraw is simple, comfortable and an effective carry method for Glocks carried C3. I'm not an expert, but this seems safe and logical for me.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-03-2012 at 14:04..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05   #15
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspeed View Post
It's amazing that every time this topic comes up, it's almost immediately followed with a bunch of, at least what seems like, 1911 guys talking about how their single action pull is so fragile that even a mosquito fart from the next door country will set off their auto pistol, and they are constantly petrified of their gun going off. After that, it's commonly followed by people who think that carrying a gun with no round in the chamber is somehow this great profound discovery that the mall ninja (who, granted, is a blackbelt at jackassery) at the knife store taught them. I'm not really sure where get these theories from, because even with a 2lb trigger on a 1911, you have a safety. With a Glock, you have a longer pull, and some stupid deal in the middle that makes it go bang only when a force is placed onto a trigger commeasure with a finger pulling the bang switch. This also applies to a small auto pistol that has a 5-7lb trigger pull. It's not going to go off. It has the same protection, EG: clothing, that a simplistic Uncle Mike's nylon holster has. But that's fine though, cause it's a "holster" right partners?

In any event, I take pride knowing that I'm the ONLY person in the world that has figured out how to carry a gun shoved in my pants with a belt clip, and has been able to avoid pulling the trigger on accident for the last 8 years.

Bottom line. Safeties fail. Holsters get stuffs in them, pull triggers, which fires bullets through seats. These things happen when people don't pay attention. Your best bet is to do the following. Be careful when you holster, or put your pocket clipped pistol into your belt. Don't put your finger on the bang switch until you're ready to fire. If you do these, your gun will not go off unless you want it to. Some of you are probably thinking, "that's not possible." And you guys, should keep carrying your holsters that are twice as large as the gun that's in them.
Agreed. 10 years here. DAO, long, heavy pulls, just as protected as a holster in my mind.

Actually, the people horrified by my carry choice would also probably complain about how hard the trigger is to pull while shooting it, but I grew up shooting DA pistols and they work fine for me.

To make a point ,once, I carefully loaded my gun with a snap cap, with a piece of paper over the chamber in front of the firing pin. After checking about a dozen times that it was really a snap cap, I put my gun in my pants on the clip. Then I reached a hooked wire coat hanger in my pants, hooked the trigger and pulled. The 8# trigger just lifted my gun out of my pants, leaving the paper covering the firing pin completely unmarked.

Some folks need to open their minds to 'newfangled' designs that are inherently safer than 100 year old designs.
(A Ford Model T made with modern steels and alloys may be lighter than the original but it is still just a Model T)

Last edited by fwm; 10-03-2012 at 08:07..
fwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20   #16
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

I prefer a good holster but the clips do have their place.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:07   #17
4Rules

Quote:
While "all generalizations are dangerous..."*, yours does have a lot of evidence to support it, in my opinion.

* All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.-Alexandre Dumas
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:17   #18
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post
While "all generalizations are dangerous..."*, yours does have a lot of evidence to support it, in my opinion.

* All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.-Alexandre Dumas
Again, what is the evidence, or is it all in your 'opinion'.
Give me examples. Do not give me examples of 'Mexican Cary' gone wrong. Two different things.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:48   #19
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
People who disagree with me are morons.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:45   #20
DaneA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
Do not give me examples of 'Mexican Cary' gone wrong. Two different things.
Could you explain the difference please? Other than having a little clip keeping it from sliding down your pants leg.

Thanks

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote