Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:03   #61
ScottieG59

I have 6 children in my household and gun safety is always on my mind. For me, it is critical to have firm habits.

The carry gun in on my person in a holster or locked up. The safe is opened with the room door locked and as soon as something goes in or comes out, it is locked. I may open and close a few times, but if I am interrupted, it is secure.
I also have a small safe by the bed.

Do not assume kids are to small or to young to find hidden guns. They are very creative in finding ways to dig through your stuff, including stuff on high shelves. Also, they can find hidden ammo.

Do not place your gun down at home. To many things can distract you and make you forget. Curious children quickly exploit a moment of inattention.

Avoid pocket carry if possible. It can get awkward to safeguard with kids. Your gun will not easily fit in a pocket, but you might consider one later. They do not always stay put when sitting on a soft chair.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:48   #62
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
I have 6 children in my household and gun safety is always on my mind. For me, it is critical to have firm habits.

The carry gun in on my person in a holster or locked up. The safe is opened with the room door locked and as soon as something goes in or comes out, it is locked. I may open and close a few times, but if I am interrupted, it is secure.
I also have a small safe by the bed.

Do not assume kids are to small or to young to find hidden guns. They are very creative in finding ways to dig through your stuff, including stuff on high shelves. Also, they can find hidden ammo.

Do not place your gun down at home. To many things can distract you and make you forget. Curious children quickly exploit a moment of inattention.

Avoid pocket carry if possible. It can get awkward to safeguard with kids. Your gun will not easily fit in a pocket, but you might consider one later. They do not always stay put when sitting on a soft chair.
A voice of real experience^^^.

And don't fall asleep in your favorite chair in front of the tv.

And if the entire family sleeps in a tent while camping, as mine did, figure out a secure way to keep the pistol out of reach of little hands.

And if your family enjoys boating, you better have a child proof place to stash the piece.

A home with young kids isn't a static environment that can be tightly controlled against all possible gun exposure circumstances. It often gets crazy, chaotic, and rambunctious if fun and spontaneity are permitted.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 22:15   #63
blk88

Update...I've been carrying now for a few months. I carry IWB with a Galco holster. I like it. Although, all day carry isn't the most comfortable. I'm looking to try a white hat max tuck soon. As for my son, much to my surprise, he hasn't even once noticed it on my belt! Once I get home the firearm goes straight in to the safe. I never let him see me put it on or take it off. So far so good. I must say starting to CC was a very awkward feeling. It took about 2 weeks to realize that no one was staring at me. Now if I don't have it for some reason I feel vulnerable. I will forever CC and look forward to introduce my son to firearms when the time is right. Thanks for all the advice!
blk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:07   #64
TeeJay37

If you are looking for a hybrid style holster, look at the Concealment Solutions Black Mamba. I just got one for my 26 and it is incredibly comfortable. I have never had one of the other brands like Crossbreed, but I have heard the Black Mamba is more comfortable and better made and a little less expensive. Plus Jason, the owner, is a great guy to deal with. I've ordered a few items with some alterations and even a completely custom buttstock shell holder for my shotgun and he is very helpful.
TeeJay37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:18   #65
Gunnut 45/454

Good holster and the ability to say no don't touch you are the adult here act like one! Teach them young and teach them right and you'll never have to fear them hurting themselves with a firearm! My grand daughter used to crawl all over me and I carried all the time never been a safety issue!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:23   #66
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Your gun, your responsibility.

Your child, your responsibility.

If they can get together you are not doing it right. Be a parent and fix the possibility.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:48   #67
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Trigger pull is 1 step, racking the slide takes additional education, strength, and skill.

Not an excuse to be careless, but the extra step could be important.

Pluses and minuses apply as usual
I am just thinking that the new CCWer may forget to keep the G23 away from unauthorized hands, so Cond 3 may save lives.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 12-30-2012 at 12:49..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 13:08   #68
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

trigger pull:

Ever see a small child pick up a gun and try to pull the trigger? if they cannot, they will turn the gun around and use their thumb on the trigger. With more strength in their thumb, they can now pull the trigger.

Children are excellent "problem solvers".

The above statement was the result of a video from a few years ago, where news media placed a few unloaded handguns on a small table and left the room, with around 4 or 5 very young children told to not touch the guns.

Trigger pull guarantees nothing.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 13:13   #69
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
trigger pull:

Ever see a small child pick up a gun and try to pull the trigger? if they cannot, they will turn the gun around and use their thumb on the trigger. With more strength in their thumb, they can now pull the trigger.

Children are excellent "problem solvers".

The above statement was the result of a video from a few years ago, where news media placed a few unloaded handguns on a small table and left the room, with around 4 or 5 very young children told to not touch the guns.

Trigger pull guarantees nothing.
This is a good analysis of child problem-solving. The point is is that all loaded guns MUST be kept away from children.
Old 12-30-2012, 20:58   #70
blk88

Just checked out the black mamba holster. Looks very similar to the white hat holster. I'm going to try out the white hat holster because you can swap out the kydek for different guns. Much cheaper to buy a different kydex piece than a whole new holster as the gun collection grows. Plus I can get custom imaging on the kydex piece from white hat. I clearly understand the responsibility part of all this as a parent and a firearm owner. I'm good there. I carried C3 for about a week then realized that it didn't make sense. If I needed the draw the gun as a last resort option, the bad guy isn't going to wait for me to rack a round. I now carry C1. Now I just need to get into some class and more range time.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:49   #71
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
And when you chose to carry CIII, make sure that you carry it with the Glock decocked. It will be a tactile reminder that the gun isn't cocked when you touch the trigger.
That's a good idea - if I was going to carry one with an empty chamber, I'd do that.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:14   #72
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
That's a good idea - if I was going to carry one with an empty chamber, I'd do that.
It would be briefly embarrassing to dry-fire at a felon.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:25   #73
ScottieG59

I have carried around children for many years. As opposed to 35 years ago, there are many options. Of course, you will want a holster that retains the firearm very well. Ensure the pistol will not fall out and that the trigger is covered.

Make sure you can holster your firearm safely. Holstering and drawing a firearm is when many accidental discharges happen.

You should NEVER lay the firearm down unsecured. Children are very quick. If you must leave a gun in your car, make sure it is in a locked container fixed to the car either with a cable, bolted down, or both. Do not hide the gun under a seat. Kids will find them very quickly.

Do not do the thing where you place the firearm up high where the child may not reach. Kids are very capable of solving the problem of how to get to it. Hidden weapons are also easy for kids to find as is the separately hidden ammo.

Be very aware of how many confuse family members for a threat. People sometimes shoot family members in error. If someone breaks into a house, kids may run to the parents' bedroom. Spouses you think are in bed next to you may have gone into the other room. In these two scenarios, people have shot their family members as they entered the bedroom.

I do security checks in my house, to make sure doors and windows are closed and locked. One night, I was investigating a knocking sound by one of our doors. It was very late and dark. My 7 year old son was sneaking around the house and thought it was funny. He was low crawling around and making sounds as a joke and then jumped out to surprise me. I do not startle easily and told him to get to bed. Someone else might have reacted differently.

Also, get a good safe with a combination. Kids love to play with keys and get into dad's secret area. My kids have taken and destroyed many of my family mementos, but they have not gotten close to my guns or ammo.

I am very careful around kids. Over the years, I have been lucky and I have learned not to count on luck. When you consider self defense scenarios, remember that kids are part of the environment. I doubt many training schools have kids grabbing at you, or being carried by you while you deal with a deadly threat.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:42   #74
Maine1

my son is 8. He has never seen me without weapons unless i am sleeping. Otherwise, my weaposn are IWB. If i am home, tey are unconcealed. be fore he was walking and talking, i was repeatig the safetey rules to him. And we still do it today.
I'll work this in to daily life:
- i'll be getting ready for work, ect, putting my holster on my belt while the gun is on the counter, and i'll ask him- "what's that?

"a gun"
what kind of gun?"
"a pistol"
What do you do when youy see one"
"i don't touch it'
"..and then what"
" i go tell you, mommy, nana, ect"
" waht do you do if sombody is fooling around with a gun"
" I leave and go tell someone'

To say that my boy is inquisitive is an understatement. He is a hellion. BUT, i take the time to reapeat the teaching, over and over. He also knows that weapons area family thing and not to be takled about in public.

As of now, its a non-issue as he begins his shooting training. he is safer than most adults. But i am still on him like glue. I'll just keep it up.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:15   #75
RussP

Quote:
And when you chose to carry CIII, make sure that you carry it with the Glock decocked. It will be a tactile reminder that the gun isn't cocked when you touch the trigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Quote:
It would be briefly embarrassing to dry-fire at a felon.
Quote:
I am just thinking that the new CCWer may forget to keep the G23 away from unauthorized hands, so Cond 3 may save lives.
Those are some good thoughts, SCmasterblaster.

Yes, embarrassing might be an understatement...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 01-02-2013 at 07:17..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:54   #76
NEVRL8T

Lot of great info in this thread.
NEVRL8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10   #77
lethal tupperwa

with the j-hook you can remove this without unholstering.
http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/K7.htm

I know that a 3 year old can pull the trigger on a S&W model 10.

Kids watch everything the will learn the combo to lock box if you are careless.

also where you "hide" the key.

With mine it was, If you want to look at it I will make sure it is unloaded

we will check and then you can look.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER

Last edited by lethal tupperwa; 01-02-2013 at 10:11..
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:22   #78
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk88 View Post
Not worried about my son drawing the piece. Just worried about the constant inquisitiveness and looking to see if other had similar experiences.
If your son was constantly groping your crotch and your wife's crotch and chest...would you simply let him?

I hope not...

Correct his actions, don't just let him do it. While you are dismissing his actions as inquisitiveness, his actions are also rude and even potentially dangerous. Just stop letting him do it...period.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:18   #79
blk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVRL8T View Post
Lot of great info in this thread.
There is, and I appreciate all the input. ScottieG59 and Maine1, thanks for your replies. That is the input I was looking for directly. I guess I needed to be a little more clear on what type of info I was looking for.

I think we all understand the simple "do not touch" reaction. My intent in creating this thread was more of life experiences and not "hand slapping" advice. Since my last update, my son did notice my gun which was IWB. I just told him danger, moved his hand and covered it back up. He was content with that. He understands "danger." Until his comprehension is a little better, I think that's where I am with him. I will fefinitely be doing gun saftey with him once I feel he grasps the concept. As of now it will be addressed as the situation occurs. For those that haven't read through the whole thread:

When at home my firearm is ALWAYS IWB or in a locked Gun Vault Digital Safe. It's never just laying out. I carry C1 because the time to rack the slide could be the difference of life and death. I used to carry C3, but after about 2 minutes of "what if thoughts" I quickly swithced to C1.

Thanks again for all the responses!

Old 01-02-2013, 18:02   #80
Maine1

The key, i think, is inclusion and education.
I make weapons of all types part of our family culture, and we talk about it often, clean weapons, discuss issues, train, ect.
The idea being to NOT make 'the gun" a forbidden fruit, just a tool that is good to have around, that must be respected for the damage it can do, and used safeley. No big deal, just needs to be consistently reinforced. I am also inoculating him against anti-gun bias.
Its often said that we have a "gun culture " in the US. Thats is only true if we make it so in our own lives, not hidign it in shame, or in fear of negative reactions. We should take a page out of the gay's playbook and be proud!
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote