SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 23:43   #176
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Yep. Chop a car's entire roof off, do away with the A & B pillars and it still isn't the same.

There's nothing like the visceral feeling of a motorcycle on the move in a rapid manners. Add some lean angles and it's nirvana.
I tune ride to road; it would take Stephan Bradl to keep up with me in the twisties when I'm having an A Game day in my S2000.

The Okie Corral

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:36   #177
Java Junky

'Seem'da share'a love for more than just Glocks GV.
The Okie Corral
('S'not me drivin'. 'Kids just wanted to borrow the car.)

OP, just so you know that I wouldn't steer you from bikes:
The Okie Corral
And may your rides provide what you require . . and be free of traffic and those bluemen in the Hemi-Chargers. (They've got the chase-instincts of Rottweilers.)

Last edited by Java Junky; 10-04-2012 at 04:41..
Java Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:29   #178
GVFlyer

I like that interior only slightly less than the pups...and I like them a lot!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:24   #179
JEEPX

Wife went from a 250cc to a 2010 Triumph Scrambler. She moved beyond the 250 very quickly. So fast, that it was almost like wasted money.
I went from my Yammie 125( I miss the bumble bee colors) to my fathers Honda 750 back in the 80's.
I do wonder if we baby women and actually start them on bikes that are too small.

Sent from Droid Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by JEEPX; 10-04-2012 at 11:28..
JEEPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:51   #180
DanaT
Pharaoh

I had a 125cc bike and I suspect that bike was more than 99.9% of GT riders could ever hope to exploit...
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:57   #181
Java Junky

Mr. Scott: would you be so kind as to engage the cloak of disclaimer?
'Always felt that starting on the smaller side of things was good insurance. 'Builds comfort and eventually experience.
'Been in the motorcycle game for some years, some'a those in a dealership with much experience with new riders.
'Seen too many who came in thinking that if they could drive a car, they could surely handle and needed the biggest and the baddest. Many never made it oud'a the parkin' lot.
Ledd'em get comfortable on something that isn't too much of a handful to throw around. Something that'll scare'em (It should scare'em!) but not too much.
If I hadda opine the procedure, I guess I'd start with a 250 (and I'm talkin' any new rider, not just a lady) enduro, upgrade from that no further than a 550, ma-a-a-a-aybe'a 650.
Today's 600's easily pack more of a punch than what our old 1000's had too.
No.
I don't think that allowing new-meat to work their way up to even the medium-sized bikes is the wrong way to go.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:01   #182
DanaT
Pharaoh

Lets see who the first person to identify this person is:

The Okie Corral
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:01   #183
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPX View Post
I do wonder if we baby women and actually start them on bikes that are too small.
Go to a gun shop with a woman, play the quiet observer and let the hilarity ensue... HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:35   #184
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

Send a message via Yahoo to jeepinbandit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Lets see who the first person to identify this person is:

The Okie Corral
Guy from Spongebob Squarepants isn't it?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:48   #185
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbandit View Post
Guy from Spongebob Squarepants isn't it?
But what is his name???
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-04-2012, 13:03   #186
GVFlyer

Quote:
I had a 125cc bike and I suspect that bike was more than 99.9% of GT riders could ever hope to exploit...
The Okie Corral

Old 10-04-2012, 13:13   #187
xMyazXtr3me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
I tune ride to road; it would take Stephan Bradl to keep up with me in the twisties when I'm having an A Game day in my S2000.

The Okie Corral
Great looking car. My friend has a white S2K.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
xMyazXtr3me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 14:35   #188
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPX View Post

Sent from Droid Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 2
I wonder how much better riders would be; both men and women, if they were to start on a 250-cc something and truly learn how to ride before they move up to something bigger and better?
Old 10-04-2012, 14:38   #189
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
If I hadda opine the procedure, I guess I'd start with a 250 (and I'm talkin' any new rider, not just a lady) enduro, upgrade from that no further than a 550, ma-a-a-a-aybe'a 650.
Today's 600's easily pack more of a punch than what our old 1000's had too.
No.
I don't think that allowing new-meat to work their way up to even the medium-sized bikes is the wrong way to go.
Yep.

People think that since they can balance, stop and go, and that somehow means that they've mastered or conquered and outride a 250-cc motorcycle's capability.
Old 10-04-2012, 15:13   #190
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMyazXtr3me View Post
Great looking car. My friend has a white S2K.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Thanks! I think white with a red interior would be sharp.

Old 10-04-2012, 15:19   #191
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Love me some V4. I rode my uncle's 80's model Honda Magna years ago and ended up buying a '95 Honda Magna earlier this year. 750cc 4-cylinder. It hangs with my buddy's Victory Hammer 1800cc V-Twin from redlight to redlight. It really sucks Honda discontinued it.

Last edited by tantrix; 10-04-2012 at 15:20..
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 16:51   #192
dabigguns357

Today we had free time and lots of it.No kids no hassles and a great lunch.We took off in search of the perfect start to the perfect bike/bikes.

First we went over to the Ashland Community college for a talk/tour of the place and what we will need for the training and safety course.Total cost will be 185.00 per person and it's a 3 day class,totally worth it and I enrolled both of us to be on the safe side.Training dates are Oct 26th thru the 28th.

Then 3 bike shops later and many new and used bikes,we(she)sat on 2 650's,a 750,a used sportster 883,a v-star 500 used, and my friends rebel 250.

The 2 she felt most comfortable was the 250 and the 500.Anything past that and she couldn't hardly lift it or stand flat footed.Now she did like the 500 butshe loved and felt the most at ease on the 250,said it fit her perfectly.

I talked it over with my friend and he said he would hold on to it till she took the course.

Now everything is in line and set up,what kind of helmet/glasses would be good for her.Actually if she got a helmet with a full face mask why would she need further eye protection.
dabigguns357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:22   #193
Java Junky

'Can't emphasize a full-face helmet enough.
I wear glasses, so visor-up is common for me, but I've hit'a bee at speed and it bent and took the lens out of my glasses.
What I'm gettin' at is don't take your eyes lightly.
'Call is, of course, yours.
'Sounds like youze guys're on your way dab.
Old 10-04-2012, 17:24   #194
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigguns357 View Post
Then 3 bike shops later and many new and used bikes,we(she)sat on 2 650's,a 750,a used sportster 883,a v-star 500 used, and my friends rebel 250.

The 2 she felt most comfortable was the 250 and the 500.Anything past that and she couldn't hardly lift it or stand flat footed.Now she did like the 500 butshe loved and felt the most at ease on the 250,said it fit her perfectly.
Sizes matter not (just ask Yoda) ONCE a person becomes an experienced rider. However, between now and then sizes matter quite a bit. Take me for an instance, I rode for several years (never learned to ride properly but I rode), then took a hiatus of about 11-years. When I got back, despite my better judgment AND MSF training, I bought a BMW R1150R Rockster. It wasn't too particularly powerful but it was heavy as hell. I dropped that mutha about five times. Fast forward a year later, I could have rode anything. I am 5ft6 with 26" actual insteam (pants inseam of 30") and I ride a big ass KTM dual sport with 33" inseam. I ballerina that mutha on the tip of my left toe.

So, stick with small until she's comfortable enough to move up and handle something heavier & taller.

And don't saddle her with a cruiser either. There are several 250 and 500 bikes that aren't cruisers (or crotch rockets).

Quote:
Now everything is in line and set up,what kind of helmet/glasses would be good for her
First of all, most of the helmets meet DOT and/or Snell and/or SHARP/ECE (British & Euro ratings which are a lot more stringent than US). When you buy a more expensive helmet, you don't truly buy for the extra protection unless the helmet is SHARP/ECE rated because these ratings are more stringent than DOT or Snell. What you buy is the higher degree of comfort and durability.

A $80 Chinese helmet may be DOT rated, but the visor flops around, the liner is thin and tears off after two weeks' worth of wearing, vent pieces fall off after a couple of rides, etc.

Set your price range and then shop within that price range. If money is no object, then look at the Japanese brands like Arai and Shoei. If money is an object then look at the Korean, American and Italian brands like KBC, Scorpion, Bell, AVG, Vemar, etc. There are even helmets from the Portugal too. If money is truly an issue then buy the el cheapo Chinese helmets. Like I said, they're DOT rated.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - get a helmet that fits. A $1000 carbon fiber Shoei racing helmet ain't gonna do squat for her head if it doesn't fit her head well. This is why you should wait until after the class to go helmet shopping. By then you should know what a well fitted is like because an instructor would tell you what to look for and you'd probably get to wear a crappily fitted helmet and know what tht feels like.

Don't let anybody tells you that you have an "Arai head" or "Shoei" head, or whatever. Try a bunch of helmets on until you find some that fits you really well. Everybody has different head shapes and some manufacturers (like Arai for example) would have a few different helmet lines that are pre-shaped for a certain head shape (long oval, oval, etc.). However, most manufacturers aren't like Arai, they would make their helmets shaped in some sort of general shape. European helmets tend to fit white Americans well because of the caucasian head shape.

Quote:
.Actually if she got a helmet with a full face mask why would she need further eye protection.
No, she wouldn't, unless she wants to ride with the visor up. Sometimes you want to do that for even more ventilations or because your visor is fogged up. Then glasses are highly recommended.

And don't forget earplugs. In training is one thing, but on the streets, you go deaf real quick. You don't realize how loud the streets are until you go out there on your moto.
Old 10-04-2012, 17:45   #195
dabigguns357

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Sizes matter not (just ask Yoda) ONCE a person becomes an experienced rider. However, between now and then sizes matter quite a bit. Take me for an instance, I rode for several years (never learned to ride properly but I rode), then took a hiatus of about 11-years. When I got back, despite my better judgment AND MSF training, I bought a BMW R1150R Rockster. It wasn't too particularly powerful but it was heavy as hell. I dropped that mutha about five times. Fast forward a year later, I could have rode anything. I am 5ft6 with 26" actual insteam (pants inseam of 30") and I ride a big ass KTM dual sport with 33" inseam. I ballerina that mutha on the tip of my left toe.

So, stick with small until she's comfortable enough to move up and handle something heavier & taller.

And don't saddle her with a cruiser either. There are several 250 and 500 bikes that aren't cruisers (or crotch rockets).

First of all, most of the helmets meet DOT and/or Snell and/or SHARP/ECE (British & Euro ratings which are a lot more stringent than US). When you buy a more expensive helmet, you don't truly buy for the extra protection unless the helmet is SHARP/ECE rated because these ratings are more stringent than DOT or Snell. What you buy is the higher degree of comfort and durability.

A $80 Chinese helmet may be DOT rated, but the visor flops around, the liner is thin and tears off after two weeks' worth of wearing, vent pieces fall off after a couple of rides, etc.

Set your price range and then shop within that price range. If money is no object, then look at the Japanese brands like Arai and Shoei. If money is an object then look at the Korean, American and Italian brands like KBC, Scorpion, Bell, AVG, Vemar, etc. There are even helmets from the Portugal too. If money is truly an issue then buy the el cheapo Chinese helmets. Like I said, they're DOT rated.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - get a helmet that fits. A $1000 carbon fiber Shoei racing helmet ain't gonna do squat for her head if it doesn't fit her head well. This is why you should wait until after the class to go helmet shopping. By then you should know what a well fitted is like because an instructor would tell you what to look for and you'd probably get to wear a crappily fitted helmet and know what tht feels like.

Don't let anybody tells you that you have an "Arai head" or "Shoei" head, or whatever. Try a bunch of helmets on until you find some that fits you really well. Everybody has different head shapes and some manufacturers (like Arai for example) would have a few different helmet lines that are pre-shaped for a certain head shape (long oval, oval, etc.). However, most manufacturers aren't like Arai, they would make their helmets shaped in some sort of general shape. European helmets tend to fit white Americans well because of the caucasian head shape.

No, she wouldn't, unless she wants to ride with the visor up. Sometimes you want to do that for even more ventilations or because your visor is fogged up. Then glasses are highly recommended.

And don't forget earplugs. In training is one thing, but on the streets, you go deaf real quick. You don't realize how loud the streets are until you go out there on your moto.
OK and wow,lots to think about.The reason i brought up the helmet is in the pamplet it says to bring eye wear,helmet is provided but we may bring our own.She gets a bit creeped out about using a Used helmet,her words not mine.Oh and she did make a joke about the pamplet not including a hair brush in the things to bring.

Over all she is very excited,lets hope she will be during,after the class.
dabigguns357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:59   #196
Java Junky

'Pamphlet didn't mention'a joys'a helmet-hair either.
Did it.
Old 10-04-2012, 18:01   #197
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
'Pamphlet didn't mention'a joys'a helmet-hair either.
Did it.
Gaelic? Welsch? HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 20:00   #198
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

Send a message via Yahoo to jeepinbandit
Quote:
But what is his name???

IIRC when my boy used to watch SBSP it was Patchy the Pirate or somethign like that.
Old 10-04-2012, 20:27   #199
Java Junky

'S'jus' 'Joizey HH. No 'fense intended.
Old 10-05-2012, 00:30   #200
LippCJ7

Let me make the Helmet issue easy for you,

Full face Helmet with Clear visor makes riding at at night a no brainer, simply wear Sun Glasses during the day and at night take the sunglasses off and flip the clear visor down.

Full Face helmets are warmer also.

open face can be nice but you have to think about the night time riding situation, either have a helmet with a clear visor that can be snapped on or take night riding glasses with you.

I have both, but I have been riding a very long time, you may just have to jump in one way or the other and figure out which is for you and the Lady. Sometimes I don't wear a helmet at all its my choice and I exercise it.