Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:11   #101
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
by those who spend full days riding hundreds of miles across the country. Hit the highway for 11-12 hours
I got cleaver and learned of this invention called an AIRPLANE. It gets me across country in somewhere between 2 and 6 hours depending upon how far I go. I can even make over oceans.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16   #102
RC-RAMIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
go back to the beginning of the thread...try a rebel 250 and come back saying that..
I have and I enjoyed it.

Last edited by RC-RAMIE; 10-03-2012 at 08:17..
RC-RAMIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19   #103
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
I got cleaver and learned of this invention called an AIRPLANE. It gets me across country in somewhere between 2 and 6 hours depending upon how far I go. I can even make over oceans.
And you get to go to second base with a complete stranger on your way into the plane!

Sportbike riders can't understand the concept of cruising to cruise. Some of the sport tourers might...but straight crotch rockets? Good god, who would ever want to cruise on one of those?
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23   #104
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Sportbike riders can't understand the concept of cruising to cruise. Some of the sport tourers might...but straight crotch rockets? Good god, who would ever want to cruise on one of those?
Cruising is for cage. But then probably that's why you have the two-wheeled equivalence of a sofa.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:25   #105
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
How could I be so silly as to forget that patches are one of the important motorcycle accessories?
Patches? We don't need no steenkeeng patches!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:29   #106
xMyazXtr3me

Soon getting a Suzuki GSXR 750.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
xMyazXtr3me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30   #107
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMyazXtr3me View Post
Soon getting a Suzuki GSXR 750.

People keep talking about the 1-liter sport bikes, but they tend to forget about the original mid-weight.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:37   #108
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
And you get to go to second base with a complete stranger on your way into the plane!
You must be doing it wrong...

I never have issues.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:40   #109
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Sportbike riders can't understand the concept of cruising to cruise.
Sure I get the idea of "cruising". It is to enjoy the trip and not care about the destination.

In fact, I am going to do that here in 5 minutes. The difference is if I am going to just be driving, it will be like I am doing in a few minutes.

No traffic (holiday) and give some gas so I can enjoy some speed. 125mph shouldnt be any issue today.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:44   #110
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Cruising is for cage. But then probably that's why you have the two-wheeled equivalence of a sofa.
My two wheeled sofa has enough power to ride circles around your scooter. And be comfortable and look good doing it.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:45   #111
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Sure I get the idea of "cruising". It is to enjoy the trip and not care about the destination.

In fact, I am going to do that here in 5 minutes. The difference is if I am going to just be driving, it will be like I am doing in a few minutes.

No traffic (holiday) and give some gas so I can enjoy some speed. 125mph shouldnt be any issue today.
Speed kills. Speed kills a lot more on a motorcycle. which isn't to say I don't like hauling ass - thats why I bought the bike I did. But not so much on public roads. Thats not cruising.

Last edited by John Rambo; 10-03-2012 at 08:46..
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13   #112
Gonzoso

I agree with everyone else that starting her at the MSF class is the best plan. See if she's into it and then let her pick out a bike.

I really think buying the 250 is not the best choice for most people.

However some people need a small bike. Some new riders are intimidated by larger bikes and the 250 will ease their minds while riding it, and comfort with the machine will encourage progress.

For most people though a 500cc+ cruiser is a good starting point I think. I learned on a Suzuki Marauder 805 and it was perfect. I bought it cheap, dropped it once on a turn, and now I'm selling it and I just bought the bike I really wanted, a 2012 KLR 650.

I'd hate to have dropped the new bike...
Old 10-03-2012, 09:14   #113
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
My two wheeled sofa has enough power to ride circles around your scooter. And be comfortable and look good doing it.
I seriously doubt it. Your geezer glide probably wheezes its way up to 55-MPH.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:15   #114
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Speed kills. Speed kills a lot more on a motorcycle. which isn't to say I don't like hauling ass - thats why I bought the bike I did. But not so much on public roads. Thats not cruising.
Some of us are born old in spirit. Some of us are hot blooded even though we're old.

The day I can't ride a fast bike is the day I hang it all up.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:17   #115
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoso View Post
II really think buying the 250 is not the best choice for most people.
Why not?

Is there a law that says these people can't sell off their 250s after they've gotten good with the basic riding skills?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21   #116
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeorge View Post
yeah no kidding...
Old 10-03-2012, 09:22   #117
RC-RAMIE

Quote:
Why not?

Is there a law that says these people can't sell off their 250s after they've gotten good with the basic riding skills?
Especially this Rebel for 2K that bike still books at $2900 hell trade in value is $2300. He could ride for a year or two and get his $2000 back out of it.
RC-RAMIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26   #118
JimIsland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B in CO View Post
Get her a dirt bike and have her learn to ride on that before she ever ventures out on the street.
Bingo!

All good riders I know started on a dirtbike. I bought my wife a Yamaha TTR 125L and she really took to it nicely. After that, a 883 Sportster was fairly easy to handle once got over the fear of actually being on the street instead of the woods.

Personally I would pass on the Rebel 250. Not much power there at all which can actually do more harm than good.
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:33   #119
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
I have done both, knee dragging and sport touring and they go to different moods.

Sport riding is fun and challenging.

Sport touring allowed me to enjoy the open air sun on my face and a sprited run through beautiful scenery.

Bikes I owned
ninja 900
GPZ1100 (fuelie)
RM370
AMF Sportster 1000 (and I never had an issue with it)
VF1000 f2
zx10 that was tuned by muzzy.

Concourse.. stock with a seat and a pipe.

I also rode a FXRS-SP at work , and while It could do impressive things once I learned to ride it, it would not be my choice for any type of all day riding.

I agree with the Rebel as a good first bike.

Just recenty rode a friends R1...WOW small fast and very capable, I am glad I dont sport ride anymore.....
Old 10-03-2012, 09:37   #120
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-RAMIE View Post
Especially this Rebel for 2K that bike still books at $2900 hell trade in value is $2300. He could ride for a year or two and get his $2000 back out of it.
Exactly.

You buy these things, beat the hell out of them and sell them off for pretty much what you got into it.

I laugh whenever people reasoned, "Yeah, but I'll outgrow the bike." No, you're not going to outgrow the bike any time soon, and by then you'd probably have a better idea of what kind of bike you'd be interested in.

When I got back into motorcycling eight years ago after a long hiatus, I thought that I was going to get me a "reasonable" bike that would fit a fellow of certain maturity. Something that doesn't make me look like a crotch rocketeer. So I bought a BMW. Three months later, I realized that: a) I hate heavy beasts, b) I hate slow, heavy beasts, c) The Roundel ain't all that. I would have been better off on an el cheapo something until I discovered that I still have the hots for fast Italian machines like I did when I was younger and rode a Ducati.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:53   #121
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
I have done both, knee dragging and sport touring and they go to different moods.

Sport riding is fun and challenging.

Sport touring allowed me to enjoy the open air sun on my face and a sprited run through beautiful scenery.
I fully agree. My Aprilia Tuono is my sport touring bike. You can ride in relative comfort and when you get to where you're going, you can still cut the curve. Or disconnect the lights and hit the track. Then put everything together and pack up to ride back.

When I was younger, I started out with the Kawasaki EX500 (aka Ninja 500). Didn't take any class so I crashed a lot, but I was too macho to admit that I couldn't ride. Nosiree.

Then I went to a Dyna Glide because only real riders and real men ride Harleys. The fact that it was a slow, heavy, ungainly beast didn't deter me. Then at Daytona Beach, I saw my first Ducati in red. That stirred something in me so I traded the heavy beast in for an Italian stallion - a PASO 750.

Sold them all when I got out of Uncle Sam's service and went to college. College was done, worked for a while, paid off the loans, bought me a convertible sports car but something is still missing. The call of the road beckoned, so I took the MSF (I don't wise up much, but I do a bit now and then) and it was a revelation. Told myself that I'm old enough to know better, so I'd best get me a geezer glide so that I'd appear responsible. Didn't want to wear vests and assless chaps so I went with a German geezer glide - a BMW Rockster (still have it). After a few months of "cruising", I still felt something was missing. I'm not getting my rocks off. Riding in a straight line is just simply boring.

Some of the dudes told me to go canyon carving. Wow, what a revelation!!! So, now I gotta have a new bike. But what? Ducati? Nah, too common. Aprilia...hmm...Italian, red, V-twin, reliable - a bright red Tuono found her home with me.

Next thing I know, I was canyon carving, commuting and touring on my Aprilia with the BMW being well neglected.

Then some dude took me to the track. Wow, what a revelation!!! Next thing I know, there's an Aprilia Mille in the garage.

Then some dude took me offroading a bit. Wow, what a revelation!!! But I don't want to buy a true blued offroad machine that has to be carted in the back of a pickup truck or towed on a trailer. Next thing I know, there's a KTM Adventure in my garage.

Then I saw a bunch of cute chicks riding around on scooters. Hmm...lightweight, small, easy on the gas and maintenance. Next thing I know there's an Aprilia buzzbomb in my garage.

One day I went to a 2-smokes gathering, checking out the Aprilia RS250, the Suzuki RG500, ad infinitum. Took a ride on an Aprilia RS250 and...WOow, what a revelation!!! Next thing I know there's an Aprilia RS125 (1 out of 150 ever imported) in my garage; slightly massged, of course.

I'm getting older and my homeys are getting older but we can't seem to get off the fast bikes mentality. Oh well, one of these years we'll grow up and get us some geezer glides.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:02   #122
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
I fully agree. My Aprilia Tuono is my sport touring bike. You can ride in relative comfort and when you get to where you're going, you can still cut the curve. Or disconnect the lights and hit the track. Then put everything together and pack up to ride back.

When I was younger, I started out with the Kawasaki EX500 (aka Ninja 500). Didn't take any class so I crashed a lot, but I was too macho to admit that I couldn't ride. Nosiree.

Then I went to a Dyna Glide because only real riders and real men ride Harleys. The fact that it was a slow, heavy, ungainly beast didn't deter me. Then at Daytona Beach, I saw my first Ducati in red. That stirred something in me so I traded the heavy beast in for an Italian stallion - a PASO 750.

Sold them all when I got out of Uncle Sam's service and went to college. College was done, worked for a while, paid off the loans, bought me a convertible sports car but something is still missing. The call of the road beckoned, so I took the MSF (I don't wise up much, but I do a bit now and then) and it was a revelation. Told myself that I'm old enough to know better, so I'd best get me a geezer glide so that I'd appear responsible. Didn't want to wear vests and assless chaps so I went with a German geezer glide - a BMW Rockster (still have it). After a few months of "cruising", I still felt something was missing. I'm not getting my rocks off. Riding in a straight line is just simply boring.

Some of the dudes told me to go canyon carving. Wow, what a revelation!!! So, now I gotta have a new bike. But what? Ducati? Nah, too common. Aprilia...hmm...Italian, red, V-twin, reliable - a bright red Tuono found her home with me.

Next thing I know, I was canyon carving, commuting and touring on my Aprilia with the BMW being well neglected.

Then some dude took me to the track. Wow, what a revelation!!! Next thing I know, there's an Aprilia Mille in the garage.

Then some dude took me offroading a bit. Wow, what a revelation!!! But I don't want to buy a true blued offroad machine that has to be carted in the back of a pickup truck or towed on a trailer. Next thing I know, there's a KTM Adventure in my garage.

Then I saw a bunch of cute chicks riding around on scooters. Hmm...lightweight, small, easy on the gas and maintenance. Next thing I know there's an Aprilia buzzbomb in my garage.

One day I went to a 2-smokes gathering, checking out the Aprilia RS250, the Suzuki RG500, ad infinitum. Took a ride on an Aprilia RS250 and...WOow, what a revelation!!! Next thing I know there's an Aprilia RS125 (1 out of 150 ever imported) in my garage; slightly massged, of course.

I'm getting older and my homeys are getting older but we can't seem to get off the fast bikes mentality. Oh well, one of these years we'll grow up and get us some geezer glides.
LMAO... yup,, I have been on a self imposed Haitus from fast bike owning for 8 or so years... I am wanting to do it again, but the last bike I had to lay down was my ninja 900 , and I was much younger then 1984... I have been lucky and vigilant enough not to be wrecked over the years even racing motocross...
I really like the Ducs and Aprillas I have seen and am lusting after a sporty weekend rider...The TUONO is calling my name so is the Panigale..
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11   #123
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
LMAO... yup,, I have been on a self imposed Haitus from fast bike owning for 8 or so years... I am wanting to do it again, but the last bike I had to lay down was my ninja 900 , and I was much younger then 1984... I have been lucky and vigilant enough not to be wrecked over the years even racing motocross...
I really like the Ducs and Aprillas I have seen and am lusting after a sporty weekend rider...The TUONO is calling my name so is the Panigale..
I am ambivalent about the Tuono V4 because I don't like the fact that Aprilia had adopted the Japanese mentality to water down the naked bike's engine output from the sport bike's engine output. The Tuonos have been nothing but a Mille with a handlebar and no fairing. Detune the engine by 10-HP is a transgression against God and Man. Granted, it's still a 140-HP + to the rear wheel but the thought of a detuned Tuono just galls me so and that's why I haven't bought one yet. Not to mention that the current two colors are matte black and yellow. No red, WTF, over?

I'll give Aprilia another year to see if they're going to do something different for the V4 Tuono. If not then I'll buy something else, like maybe a KTM 990 Supermoto. Talk about a machine that's the equivalence of viagra that you can kill yourself on.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:46   #124
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I am a lawyer, so it doesn't bother me.

Since I was 5 or 6 I've never been interested in anything but a Harley and other stuff in the same subculture (Indian, custom choppers and bobbers, etc.), even though I have owned Hondas. By the time I was in first grade I had chopper models, magazines and trading cards, Evel Knievel toys, etc. I would be embarrassed to be seen on a sport bike - not meant as an insult, just the literal truth. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit to people that my little brother used to ride sport bikes.

Funny.

This is the bike I gave to the DAV to make room in my garage for my Dyna Super Glide. I rode it all over Europe, but riding tucked in was going to get me killed in the U.S..

The Okie Corral

I briefly considered, alright - almost bought, this Ducati, but see above, I figured that with a 462 lb bike with 162 hp, it would only be a matter of time before I became a grease spot on the highway.

The Okie Corral

So, I bought my Harley and have come to love it. I'll be out riding it in a few minutes.

The Okie Corral

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:55   #125
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Funny. I see lots of speed and not so much kill. On public roads none the less.

2x4=8, not 14.