Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2012, 17:50   #226
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LippCJ7 View Post
Leather has become something of a fashion statement but I cannot tell you the value of mitigating road rash.

Just ask Tantrix....

BTW Tantrix, Sorry about the bad luck.
Oh, no doubt if I had had leather on my arms today I wouldn't be in the shape I'm in. Oh well...like they say...it's not if, it's when.
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 19:24   #227
Java Junky

Amen to that.
But beware crap leather that isn't up to a snag on'a nail, let alone protection for'yuh while yer becomin' one with the roadside scenery.
I'm not gonna embarrass myself by tryin'a remember what mil was the good stuff. But, trust me on this: there's leather that'll save'yer a . . ahem . . hide and there's a whole lodda thinner, wannabee leather out there that's good for Halloween'n not much else.
Like the ol' knight said: choose wisely.
Java Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 20:31   #228
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

Send a message via Yahoo to jeepinbandit
Mesh gear in my area of the country (I'm in a Scorpion Master Mesh right now) works year round. I switch to solid textile during the full blown winter months but I've ridden in well vented textile gear during 100+ days also. You sweat a bit but honestly you are much better off core temp wise if you are sweating a little and having it stay around for a bit then you are ridding without and having the sweat evaporate instantly.

I also wear long sleeve sweat wicking shirts under my riding gear.
Old 10-05-2012, 21:01   #229
Java Junky

I'd also tried some of those ballistic-material suits (don't ask how many years ago that was) and, I'd suspect that they've improved, but after having worn only leather . . they were "dirty".
The air smoothly slips around leather.
The wind grabs hold'a those ballistic suits'n tries to drag you off the back end'a the bike.
Lots'a touring'n cruiser guys are very happy with the ballistic suits, but to a sportbike rider . . kind'a like screen-doors on'a submarine.
Y'know?

Good leather gives me that snug, secure feelin' tha'cha get from'a good pair'a lace-up boots . . all over.
Old 10-05-2012, 21:14   #230
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
I'd also tried some of those ballistic-material suits (don't ask how many years ago that was) and, I'd suspect that they've improved, but after having worn only leather . . they were "dirty".
The wind grabs hold'a those ballistic suits'n tries to drag you off the back end'a the bike.
Lots'a touring'n cruiser guys are very happy with the ballistic suits, but to a sportbike rider . . kind'a like screen-doors on'a submarine.
Y'know?

Good leather gives me that snug, secure feelin' tha'cha get from'a good pair'a lace-up boots . . all over.

I rode a CBR600RR for a while and never had that issue in a one piece textile and one piece mesh suit.
Old 10-05-2012, 21:17   #231
sappy13

Iv never had any issues at with the wind catching me and pulling me off my bike when iv ridden with my mesh suit.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 23:13   #232
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigguns357 View Post
My wife and I have been talking about buying 2 motorcycles,one for each one of us.I have mine picked out but i haven't got a clue about hers.

I've owned 2 in the past but she has never been on one.So how do I go about getting her in some classes or something to help her get road ready(we have till spring).

A friend has a 2009 Honda rebel 250 for sale like the one in the pic.My question is this,wouldn't something this little be a bit small for highway or just right for her and her small size.

Any advice would be great before I spend 2,000 on a bike she may or may not be able to handle.

The Okie Corral
The Okie Corral
Now to be serious. I started riding as a teenager and raced on the dirt until my twenties. Then I started riding street and it was on a Harley Low Rider. I found the Harleys to be very forgiving motorcycles. I then rode some rice rockets and they were very fast and fun. Now that traffic is very bad I make these suggestions...

the Rebel is fine for class and they do provide the bikes at the classes. I would suggest a Harley for you and probably the Fat Boy types with the large tires as they are easier to ride slowly. The wife could get a small 883 Sportster or larger depending on how well she learns. Also check your pocketbook and what you have to take care of...like kids, dogs etc. That will sway your decision.

Also, be extra cautious when people are making left turns in front of you and don't drink and ride and watch out at intersections. Good luck in your decisions.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:29   #233
dabigguns357

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post

the Rebel is fine for class and they do provide the bikes at the classes. I would suggest a Harley for you and probably the Fat Boy types with the large tires as they are easier to ride slowly. The wife could get a small 883 Sportster or larger depending on how well she learns. Also check your pocketbook and what you have to take care of...like kids, dogs etc. That will sway your decision.

Also, be extra cautious when people are making left turns in front of you and don't drink and ride and watch out at intersections. Good luck in your decisions.
We don't drink so drinking and driving is out,car,bike or anything else.For the first 3 -4 months we will spend burning up old country road,with lots of stops at Hillbilly hotdogs along the way.

Once she gets up to speed after the class,we'll look for something.

Now I have decided to go ahead and get geared up,her and I both.I'm passing that class and i'm riding,she'll either ride behind me or beside to me.

Oh and who ever said to call about insurance,great idea.With the class(passing)my insurance,full coverage will only be a $135.62 a year (for both bikes hopefully)

ride sally ride

Last edited by dabigguns357; 10-06-2012 at 01:35..
dabigguns357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:32   #234
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigguns357 View Post
We don't drink so drinking and driving so thats out,car bike or anything else and for the first 3 -4 months will be spent old country road,with lots of stops at Hillbilly hotdogs along the way.

Once she gets up to speed after the class,we'll look for something.

Now I have decided to go ahead and get geared up,her and I both.I'm passing that class and i'm riding,she'll either ride behind me or beside to me.

Oh and who ever said to call about insurance,great idea.With the class(passing)my insurance,full coverage will only be a $135.62 a year for both bikes(hopefully)

ride sally ride

Insurance on cruisers was always cheaper for me so check those first. Good luck and have fun and stay safe.

JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:06   #235
Java Junky

'Sorry if I wasn't clear Jeep.
I was not referring to the Victoria's Secret summer mesh.
The stuff that grabbed the wind very noticeably was (come on memory . . you can do it) . . 'think that it was one of the early First Gear suits.
I'll admit to taking some "artistic license" with my drag'yuh off the back'a the bike, but facts is facts: rapidly-passin'-air grabs you considerably more with anything other than leather.
And a side note closely related to all of this (though later tests may have been done, and considering that man-made fibres may've improved some . . I'd go with the later tests) but leather came out on top of all the other contenders in the early hit-the-pavement tests. (If nothin' else . . it'll best keep all your body parts in one bag, y'know?)

Last edited by Java Junky; 10-06-2012 at 06:44..
Old 10-06-2012, 10:10   #236
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

I'll be the first to admit that leather is superior to most textile and mesh garments in the area of abrasion resistance. Most textile and mesh gear is going to be one time use with very few exceptions.

And I wouldn't qualify most mesh gear as "Victoria's Secret Mesh". This is the Mesh jacket I wear for most of the year with exception of full on "winter" (I'm in Texas it's subjective lol).

The Okie Corral

I think my next gear purchase will be a 2 piece Aerostitch.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:25   #237
Java Junky

Methinks the Jeep's just a mite cantankerous today.
Okay, okay . . it's not Victoria's Secret.
Yer jus' not gonna let me get away with anything, are'yuh?

('Curious: di'juh get the matching purse? Joke! Joke! Easy big fella!)

Whoa!
Aerostitch!
That was it! That suit was an Aerostitch, not First Gear.
'S'up in'a attic someplace.

Last edited by Java Junky; 10-06-2012 at 10:26..
Old 10-06-2012, 12:37   #238
Eurodriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
That was actually my first reaction after I picked my bike up, I headed towards his vehicle to yank him out and whip his ass but a state trooper a few cars behind us witnessed the entire thing and calmed me down. I'm kind of glad for the adrenaline though, as the pain from my injuries didn't kick in until later. Now, I'm hurting pretty good.

I know, not the best reaction but I was beyond pissed.

Dude - I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hear so many stories of d-bags on cell phones hitting bikers and I just dread that day. Not for the pain, road rash, etc. But because just thinking about it makes me want to make that inattentive driver 124 grains heavier. Damn careless cagers. Luckily the trooper was there. I can just see myself getting pushed off the road - the driver who hits me keeps going and I have to go through my own insurance company OR I get hit by someone with no insurance. For being in a bike wreck you did pretty well...all things considering.

Not bad...clutch lever was straightened completely out, rash on the exhaust, grip, and footpeg. The bike actually took less damage than I did. No worries though, his insurance is going to pay for it anyway. I lived, the bike survived, all is well.

Thats very good news.
Eurodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 21:29   #239
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Y'know?

You do know that many track day organizations allow for the use of Aerostitch suit in lieu of leather suit?
Old 10-06-2012, 21:33   #240
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:

Not bad...clutch lever was straightened completely out, rash on the exhaust, grip, and footpeg. The bike actually took less damage than I did. No worries though, his insurance is going to pay for it anyway. I lived, the bike survived, all is well.
I'm glad to hear that the bike will be OK.
Old 10-06-2012, 22:00   #241
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I'm glad to hear that the bike will be OK.
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 22:26   #242
Java Junky

'Ain't been any kind'a track denizen in some years 'falman.
'Wasn't aware'a Aerostitch's acceptance as a leather substitute. 'Says alot for the Aerostitch, but, as well made as that stuff is, I'm not surprised.
Thanks for the heddzupp.
Old 10-06-2012, 22:51   #243
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
'Ain't been any kind'a track denizen in some years 'falman.
'Wasn't aware'a Aerostitch's acceptance as a leather substitute. 'Says alot for the Aerostitch, but, as well made as that stuff is, I'm not surprised.
Thanks for the heddzupp.
BUT it is no substitute for race leathers. Nobody approves Aerostitch for racing, just for track days and that depends on the local organizations too.
Old 10-06-2012, 22:53   #244
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Obviously you're OK, otherwise you wouldn't be posting.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with one of the ex-chicks:

"Hey, I got into a car accident yesterday!!!"

"How's the car?"

"F THE CAR!!! How the hell am I?"

"Obviously you're OK, otherwise we wouldn't be talking."

"YOU INSENSITIVE &*&^%%&!!!"

"Hey, it's a nice 944 Turbo!"

CLICK!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 23:10   #245
Java Junky

Similarly'da aircraft, any "landin" tha'cha can walk away from is a good one.

And as an addition to the "advice" column for the new rider, something that a many-years-of-experience departing motorcycle magazine editor once left in his parting remarks: "Beware the Volvo . . even if it's parked."

Last edited by Java Junky; 10-06-2012 at 23:14..
Old 10-07-2012, 00:29   #246
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
You do know that many track day organizations allow for the use of Aerostitch suit in lieu of leather suit?
I mostly ride with a Kevlar jacket. Yes. I am not confused. It is a complete kevlar shell. I feel no less safe in that than in leather. If you look a long time ago racing gloves went away from studded palms to kevlar re-inforced palms. Why? abrasion resistance. Try to to abrade kevlar (or cut it) and come back with a report how well that worked.

Kevlar is a PITA to cut and very abrasion resistant.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 17:42   #247
harleyhawk

Motorcycle

A 650 Savage would be a pretty good choice. Most inexperienced riders get into trouble around curves, they try to brake at curves rather than lean the bike. Watch your wife on curves and be sure she can sit on the bike SHE chooses flat footed!

Last edited by harleyhawk; 10-07-2012 at 17:43..
harleyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:39   #248
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhawk View Post
A 650 Savage would be a pretty good choice. Most inexperienced riders get into trouble around curves, they try to brake at curves rather than lean the bike. Watch your wife on curves and be sure she can sit on the bike SHE chooses flat footed!
Hence the MSF Basic Rider Course.

It may not turn you into a road racer, but it sure helps you go around the corner with alacrity.
Old 10-07-2012, 19:57   #249
Smithers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halojumper View Post
Even a small girl can "pick up" a full dress Harley.

Hint: it's in the technique, not the strength.
Maybe a small girl elephant. C'mon now.
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 20:58   #250
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
Maybe a small girl elephant. C'mon now.
Did you read the whole thread? There were videos posted of girls doing just that.
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote