SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 17:48   #1
mcm127

G27 wrong choice?

Mas,

I recently bought a G27 gen4 and I love the feel of the pistol, it's the first glock I have bought and I'm very pleased with the the way it feels in my hand, the weight... Pretty much everything about it I love..

Having said that I am having buyers remorse with the .40 cal and I'm sort of thinking I should have went with the G26 9mm. I'm new to the handgun world and I wanted a gun I could carry and practice with at the range so I can get really good with for my EDC.

I just took a friends G26 to the range to shoot side by side with my G27 and there is a pretty noticeable difference in the recoil but I don't feel like the 27 gets away from me, I shoot it pretty accurate but the G26 is just smooth, a very impressive little pistol, but I bought the .40 cal because of the "you can't trust your life to a 9mm and you need the stopping power of the .40 or .45" talk... I guess what I'm asking is did I make a mistake? Should i trade the .40 in and pick up the 9mm? Or should I keep practicing and get good with what I've got?

Sorry to ramble a bit and thanks in advance for taking my question.

Mike
mcm127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 00:15   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

mcm, welcome to Glock Talk.

Neither the G27 nor the G26 is a bad choice. I bought both when I tested them when they came out 15 or so years ago.

The lighter recoil of the 9mm G26 is an advantage, and to a lesser extent, so is its one greater round of capacity. I spent the past week carrying one (and shooting a G26 in Subcompact, Master Stock, and Competition at the GSSF match in Salt Lake City), and I'm perfectly comfortable with that neat little gun.

That said, I've spent a lot more time with the G27 over the years when I needed a small auto pistol. Subsonic for subsonic, 1300 fps load for 1300 fps load, the .40 does indeed give you more power. If you've got good control with both and don't have a particular logistical need (as a cop carrying a 9mm service-size Glock would have in choosing a 9mm G26 for backup), you should be fine with the G27 you already have.

If cheaper ammo is a concern, a 9mm conversion unit for your G27 might be the best of both worlds.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote