GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 14:07   #1
dusty_dragon

Ruger Mini 14 Improved Accuracy by xtra Power Spring???

i installed a wolff xtra power recoil spring in my 1998 built mini-14 ranch rifle and accuracy (which wasn't really bad with the standard recoil spring also) improved significantly.

could this be due to the split second the bolt keeps locked longer than with the standard recoil spring and doing so allows the bullet to completly pass the barrel before the charging handle moves backwards and rotates the bolt, so less movement in the gun till the bullet passes the muzzle?

otherwise i can't explain to myself, why the xtra power recoil spring should have an effect on the accuracy.

has anyone an idea or clue?
dusty_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 14:22   #2
ArmoryDoc

I would think the extra power spring is going to have it's most effect at full compression, driving the bolt home harder. In that thinking, maybe the spring is causing a more consistent, tighter lockup at battery ? Remember too, the Mini is a gas gun. Inconsistent gas pressures can affect consistency at the target. So, maybe when it slams home in battery, you're getting a more consistent seal. Just like the M1A. I saw greater accuracy with my M1A when I shimmed the gas system and reduced leaks.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 14:35   #3
dusty_dragon

good point, armory doc.
this leads me to another question:
a stiffer/heavier op rod spring will increase dwell time, the bolt will open slower, but will close faster and with more force/momentum due to the heavier/stiffer spring. as yu mentioned, it will drive the bolt home much harder than before.

will this increased closing speed/force/momentum damage the receiver/gas plug/op rod etc.?

Last edited by dusty_dragon; 10-06-2012 at 14:36..
Old 10-06-2012, 15:00   #4
countrygun

I have always nurtured a theory that besides the well known "barrel harmonics" issue there is some kind of anomoly to the design, that makes it very "harmonically sensitive" . From what I have seen, across the board, is a lot of "Add ons" that seem to have from a 50% success rate to up in the 90% range and the common factor, whether intended or not, it they all probably affect the harmonics of some, if not all, of the rifle.

Last edited by countrygun; 10-06-2012 at 15:00..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:07   #5
dusty_dragon

yes, as mentioned the accuracy, which wasn't bad at all with the factory setup, was increased significantly by the stiffer/heavier recoil spring.

my only concern is this:
a heavier/stiffer recoil spring will drive the bolt home much harder than before.

will this increased closing speed/force/momentum damage the receiver/gas plug/op rod etc.?
Old 10-06-2012, 15:35   #6
ArmoryDoc

Dwell time is going to be very important because the more dwell time, the more complete powder burn. Complete powder burn improves gas consistency. Anything you can do to improve gas consistency will help, to the point you are maximized in that regard.

I am concerned about slamming parts around. Google "Mini-14 gas bushings". There is an Accuracy Systems set that you can try out, which allows you to regulate the gas into the block. In addition, there are adjustable gas blocks by the same.

Critical points to note on the gas system are; barrel gas port to bushing, bushing to gas block, gas block to gas pipe and gas pipe seal to op rod contact. Anything you can do to improve seal / fit, will pay off.
Old 10-06-2012, 15:39   #7
ArmoryDoc

A lot of people focus strictly on harmonics. While it plays a role, I'm of the opposing belief that it doesn't play near the role the gas system does. I've seen it first-hand in my M1A. Only bad thing is, not nearly the supply of "match" gas system parts available for the Mini as opposed to the M1A.
Old 10-06-2012, 15:46   #8
dusty_dragon

if i got you right, the more dwell time, the better.

will the increased dwell time also increase gas pressure built up?

i also encountered the following:
gun zeroed with factory spring setup at 100 meters. after that i installed the xtra power recoil spring and all the hits were nearly 8 inches high and nearly 8 inches to the left. a sign for increased dwell time AND gas pressure built up?
Old 10-06-2012, 15:59   #9
ArmoryDoc

Well, I don't know how to answer that question "completely" right. Here's my recommendation. Order the gas bushing set, then try each until you just get reliable extraction. Know that the gas block screws must be tightened in a certain pattern and to a certain inch # in order to be correct and give best results. If you have the $100.00 to spend, get the adjustable gas block, and play with that instead.

Accurizing the Mini is more an "art" than a science. The gas system is the best place to start, IMO.
Old 10-06-2012, 16:06   #10
dusty_dragon

if my understanding is correct, then a gas bushing or adjustable gas block will decrease the power of the backwards movement of the bolt, but not the forward movement.
i have a wilson combat 1911 buffer on the op rod (function 100%) to soften the hammering on the receiver in the backwards movement of the bolt.

but the gas bushing or adjustable gas block will not decrease the force of the bolt hammering back into battery, especially with the xtra power recoil spring installed.

i don't wanna ride a front buffer on the gas pipe, cause it decreases the dwell time / bolt opening time due to its thickness it decreases the way the charging handle moves backwards free without beginning to rotate the bolt.

so after all i have a bolt hammering harder into battery than with the factory spring and the gas bushing or adjustable gas block will not change anything on that movement, right?

do you think the harder hammering home of the bolt is a problem with the mini?

Last edited by dusty_dragon; 10-06-2012 at 16:08..
Old 10-06-2012, 16:09   #11
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoryDoc View Post
A lot of people focus strictly on harmonics. While it plays a role, I'm of the opposing belief that it doesn't play near the role the gas system does. I've seen it first-hand in my M1A. Only bad thing is, not nearly the supply of "match" gas system parts available for the Mini as opposed to the M1A.
I think the gas system "tuning" gives more consistant results but a lot of that may also affect harmonics and a heavier spring certainly does. I had M-1s, National Matched and others for 25 years to mess around with before I got my first Mini-14 and there is a "tuning fork" effect firing the mini that I can't quite explain in words.

I think the best way to compare is to look at the pressure of either the .308 or the 30-06 and the 5.56 and then look at the mass of the platform you are firing it from. It seems like Ruger has picked up the factory accuracy noticably with a shorter, stiffer barrel and the polymer stock without much major changes to the internals.

countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 16:18   #12
ArmoryDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_dragon View Post
if my understanding is correct, then a gas bushing or adjustable gas block will decrease the power of the backwards movement of the bolt, but not the forward movement.
i have a wilson combat 1911 buffer on the op rod (function 100%) to soften the hammering on the receiver in the backwards movement of the bolt.

but the gas bushing or adjustable gas block will not decrease the force of the bolt hammering back into battery, especially with the xtra power recoil spring installed.

i don't wanna ride a front buffer on the gas pipe, cause it decreases the dwell time / bolt opening time due to its thickness it decreases the way the charging handle moves backwards free without beginning to rotate the bolt.

so after all i have a bolt hammering harder into battery than with the factory spring and the gas bushing or adjustable gas block will not change anything on that movement, right?

do you think the harder hammering home of the bolt is a problem with the mini?
It depends on how much greater the extra power spring is. Any extra battering is not good. You can break a bolt. And, I'm not a fan of buffers. When properly sprung, buffers are a liability. Work on tuning your gas system and as long as your gun is still cycling reliably, you're probably ok on the spring.
Old 10-06-2012, 16:51   #13
dusty_dragon

okay, i'll try that, thanks