SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2012, 13:02   #1
itstime

Fishing gear in preps???

Hello,

Does anybody have fishing gear in their SHTF bags?

I'm not a fisherman but can see the advantages of having a small simple setup.

Portable would be most important.

Any input?

And yes I remember the commercials when I was young. I love Ron.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 13:18   #2
Tom Kanik

Besides a little kit I keep in the Altoids tins, I also have a couple of Shakespeare kits with collapsible rods, open-faced reels, some lures and goodies in a plastic case. Fishing would definitely be part of my plans...
Old 10-11-2012, 13:24   #3
BR549
Thread Killer

I keep a spinning reel and a small tackle box with each of my different bags.

I have at least two in each automobile.

I like fishing.
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 13:37   #4
Tom Kanik

Right on Brother! Of course, I have my own pond with bass, bluegills, and catfish.
Old 10-11-2012, 19:24   #5
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime View Post
Hello,

Does anybody have fishing gear in their SHTF bags?

I'm not a fisherman but can see the advantages of having a small simple setup.

Portable would be most important.

Any input?

And yes I remember the commercials when I was young. I love Ron.
Yes I do. I started a thread about fishing gear in my BOB some time back. The general consensus seemed to be that it was a waste of space. I disagree.
A simple kit consisting of line, hooks, sinkers and a few fly's would come in handy I do believe. A series of bank lines can fish for you while you are busy doing other things, setting up camp, sleeping etc.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:51   #6
RatDrall

I'm torn on this.

You can go weeks without food, but it would suck pretty bad. Sometimes fishing can be unproductive.

I've compromised with a small altoids tin fishing kit with hooks, weighted jigs, bobbers, and a few small spools of line, that's it. I'll have to dig up worms, grubs, or catch grasshoppers.

I'd bet that most people with "survival fishing kits" have never tested them. Hand fishing is way easier to break line or loose a fish because of poor tension on the line than fishing with a store bought rod and reel.
RatDrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:04   #7
eracer
Where's my EBT?

http://www.wally.com/workspace/asset.../images/02.jpg
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:37   #8
Bren
NRA Life Member

I'm reminded of the old "pocket fisherman" - do they still make those? My little brother had one and fished with it when he was younger. I seem to recall that the handle holds all the stuff except for live bait.
Survival/Preparedness Forum
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:32   #9
quake

I don't enjoy fishing. Wish I did, because our area is known for its fishing; attracting people from all over. But, I don't enjoy it so I don't do it; haven't in over 30 years.

That said, I have cleaned fish and could do so again. Thing is, my lack of enjoyment doesn't translate into a lack of acceptance of the reality that fishing is a real source of protein in the wild. IE, I may not like fishing, but I do enjoy eating. So I keep (and have tested) yo-yo's for emergency fishing; several dozen of them. Set up trotline-like, they're low-maintenance and work reasonably well.

In my ghb gear, no; no fishing gear in that at all. The yo-yo's are more for worst-case, fishing in the ponds or nearby river, supplement our food supply use.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:07   #10
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
I don't enjoy fishing. Wish I did, because our area is known for its fishing; attracting people from all over. But, I don't enjoy it so I don't do it; haven't in over 30 years.

I've taught my kid ta fish and it's a great memory, but not a main prep.

That said, I have cleaned fish and could do so again. Thing is, my lack of enjoyment doesn't translate into a lack of acceptance of the reality that fishing is a real source of protein in the wild. IE, I may not like fishing, but I do enjoy eating. So I keep (and have tested) yo-yo's for emergency fishing; several dozen of them. Set up trotline-like, they're low-maintenance and work reasonably well.

Fishing can be counter productive,you can burn more calories than you gather.However the omega acids that fish produce may become harder ta acquire in a "event".

In my ghb gear, no; no fishing gear in that at all. The yo-yo's are more for worst-case, fishing in the ponds or nearby river, supplement our food supply use.
We have trot lines/gill nets and stringer hooks.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:23   #11
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Better practice with what you have.

Being tired and cold and hungry and wet is no time to try to figure out how to tie proper knots, choose bait, manipulate lures, estimate depth, current, temperature, cover, lighting, time of day, etc.

"He said he fired a burst at the chest and if they didn't fall fast enough, he fired a burst at the face. He never needed to reload and had enough on board so if he missed a shot or two he could catch up in the fight. " -Gabe Suarez, 2008
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:57   #12
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

This falls into the same category as hunting. There are many scenarios where this just doesn't work.
1. Any scenario where the masses leave the big cities and try to survive in the country.
2. Any scenario where the water and air are unsafe.
3. Any scenario where your time is better spent fixing something or preping for the next event.
4. Any scenario just after a major weather event.
5. Anything just prior to a major weather event.
6. Anything where it is too cold or hot to get out and about or get to the fish.
This pretty much takes care of everything from blizzards to hurricanes to earthquakes to war to EMP to .....

The exception would be:
1. Out of work (maybe)
2. Airplane crash in the wilderness
3. ?

This being said, I enjoy fresh fish and have been known to fish on occasion. If there was a long term SHTF where there is no law, I would probably use a currently illegal method for catching fish. I would not be sitting by a creek all day waiting for the fish to bite.
Old 10-12-2012, 13:36   #13
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
The biggest problem with fishing, is that the majority of the gear is set up for "recreational" fishing.

While you could survive with that gear, you also might die, if you're not good with it.

Much easier to get a net, and block off the stream, and chase the fish into it.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 14:49   #14
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

dynamite..............a sure fire proven fish getter................

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 16:03   #15
BR549
Thread Killer

I'll give it to the GTSP experts: maybe it's not worth it to plan or prep for fishing in most scenarios.

I have burned some serious calories hunting/stalking and burned quite a few while fishing when fishing wasn't exactly the MAIN part of the adventure. However, I have also spent 12hr days fishing and burned fewer calories that I would have in an office for twelve hours.

I enjoy fishing before 'minor' (and semi-major) weather events. It has proven to be an excellent time to fish. I've also had some success fishing regular spots after 'minor' weather events, and I've found it easy to catch fish by hand after fish have been displaced by various types of 'flooding'.

Fish are still caught in the the coldest times of winter and the hottest times of summer.

I enjoy fishing. I fish often using many, many techniques and methods for many different types of fish in many different bodies of water with many different types of equipment including built-on-the-fly-rods from the area's natural resources and bait caught in the area including with or without a reel.

I can think of over ten excellent places to go right now to catch supper for at least 5 people with nothing but my knife, line, and hooks. I would bet I could catch 'em and serve 'em by dark.

I am a great hunter. I am a much better fisher.

It is very enjoyable, can be very relaxing, and can provide a pleasing meal.

Last edited by BR549; 10-12-2012 at 16:05..
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 18:15   #16
Jonesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
I'll give it to the GTSP experts: maybe it's not worth it to plan or prep for fishing in most scenarios.

I have burned some serious calories hunting/stalking and burned quite a few while fishing when fishing wasn't exactly the MAIN part of the adventure. However, I have also spent 12hr days fishing and burned fewer calories that I would have in an office for twelve hours.

I enjoy fishing before 'minor' (and semi-major) weather events. It has proven to be an excellent time to fish. I've also had some success fishing regular spots after 'minor' weather events, and I've found it easy to catch fish by hand after fish have been displaced by various types of 'flooding'.

Fish are still caught in the the coldest times of winter and the hottest times of summer.

I enjoy fishing. I fish often using many, many techniques and methods for many different types of fish in many different bodies of water with many different types of equipment including built-on-the-fly-rods from the area's natural resources and bait caught in the area including with or without a reel.

I can think of over ten excellent places to go right now to catch supper for at least 5 people with nothing but my knife, line, and hooks. I would bet I could catch 'em and serve 'em by dark.

I am a great hunter. I am a much better fisher.

It is very enjoyable, can be very relaxing, and can provide a pleasing meal.

Totally agreed. If my family's well being comes down to my ability to fish and hunt for food. The SHTF will be easier than I ever anticipate.

I am really kind of surprised more people aren't comfortable with doing both proficiently.

In my garage now are probably 15 fishing poles ranging from micro-lites to surf casting rigs and 2 fly rods also. And, at least 3 large tackle boxes full of gear.

Hunting is my real passion, but I spend more time fishing now.

Last edited by Jonesee; 10-12-2012 at 18:21..
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 18:21   #17
John Rambo
Raven

A bunch of line, some sinkers, and some treble hooks maybe. Cast 'em out if you're camped near the water, tie it off, and go about your business while you wait for a bite. I watched the entire series of Survivorman. He tried to fish a lot. Safe to say he knows more about survival than any of us, and is an avid fisherman. He caught enough fish to make it worth his time once, and he had a really decent fishing setup to do it, and it was during some kind of yearly fish migration.

Its a harsh reality, but the kind of food you end up with eating a lot in survival situations....ain't pretty to look at.

Last edited by John Rambo; 10-12-2012 at 18:22..
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 19:25   #18
Jonesee

That would be the same survivorman who stayed in motels at night?

I would say if you know the area and have fished it long enough, you shouldn't have an issue.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 19:50   #19
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregoryb View Post
dynamite..............a sure fire proven fish getter................
It will ruin a creek for a long time if you use dynamite.

As mentioned above, using a net/trap to fish and driving the fish into it is probably the best method.
Old 10-12-2012, 23:01   #20
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
That would be the same survivorman who stayed in motels at night?

I would say if you know the area and have fished it long enough, you shouldn't have an issue.
No. This would be Les Stroud. He eats thunder and ****s lightning.

Bear Gryllis is the one you're thinking of. Hes a fraud.
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote