GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2012, 18:45   #21
Bruce M

I agree that in our current environment an employee handbook can be very valuable. How do you guys that have them handle the weapons policy?
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 18:50   #22
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
In most states if they officially designate you as Security then you will have to meet the standards your state imposes on those employed in that capacity.

They are usually not hard to meet. You need to research OKL state statutes on requirements for "security guards."

Personally I think a better option would simply be to have them place in your file a letter stating you are authorized to be armed on the premises and are exempt from the prohibition.
This.

I would also advise to check with a attorney in the OP's state that specializes in handgun law about this just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by NEOH212; 09-30-2012 at 18:51..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 19:15   #23
molar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I agree that in our current environment an employee handbook can be very valuable. How do you guys that have them handle the weapons policy?
My weapons policy is the more guns on my premises the merrier.
molar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 19:17   #24
SoonerDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
I've been away from it for some time, Sooner Dad, but in a previous job was involved in Oklahoma security guard training and the associated regulations. One thing I have some recollection about on the armed security guard included holding insurance/bonding for the armed license along with certification from an agency that you are actively employed in a position that requires the firearm. Normally, both of these requirements are met by agency employment. Being an individual, it would be tougher for you to meet these requirements.

Bottom line, I believe you need to ask more questions directly to CLEET to ensure you properly understand the possibilities and the limitations. As others have counseled in their responses, I also think you have other options that don't include the need to hold a security guard license.

Yes, I did spot that in my research of the security guard licensure requirements this afternoon. So that might be a problem to getting a SG license, even if I took and passed the 'CLEET' certified classes...

Some of the other posts have really got me thinking about this venture and I think I'll just talk to my employer and see if he might give me a letter of exemption allowing me to conceal carry for my own personal protection, and let it go at that.

Thank you all for your thoughts. You all pointed out some angles I hadn't thought of, and I appreciate it. I feel much better educated now...
SoonerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:09   #25
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by molar View Post
My weapons policy is the more guns on my premises the merrier.
Is that policy by chance captured in writing in your employee handbook?
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:06   #26
molar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Is that policy by chance captured in writing in your employee handbook?
Nope, there is nothing in my employee handbook pertaining to weapons. I have been known to give discounts to people open carrying or who present a CHL, so my employees know where I stand.
molar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 18:29   #27
bobtheelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by molar View Post
Nope, there is nothing in my employee handbook pertaining to weapons. I have been known to give discounts to people open carrying or who present a CHL, so my employees know where I stand.
What and where is your business, that I may frequent it if I have need to?
bobtheelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27   #28
Bruce M

I understand having a no wespons policy in an employee handbook. I understand not mentioning anything reagrding weapons in an employee handbook. My guess is that any mention of a pro-weapons policy in an employee handbook would be very much an uphill battle once insurance companies got involved in most areas in most industries.

Last edited by Bruce M; 10-02-2012 at 06:27..
Old 10-02-2012, 08:19   #29
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDad View Post
.....snip....

You raise a good point about the liability issue... I'll bet our liability insurance company would have a fit about it. That's why I was considering the advanced training, if that's what they would require.

....snip...
The issue of liability insurance not covering you is somewhat of a misnomer. Liability is basically where one was negligent in something they did/didn't do but should have. Liability insurance, as in a general business policy, provides for compensation for someone's negligence......it doesn't exclude coverage when there has been the use of 'firearms'. There are exclusions for somethings, but not the use of firearms. If a firearm was used and it was a criminal issue, more than likely, the GLP will not provide coverage....most if not all GLPs do not provide coverage for criminal acts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizz View Post
Merlin raised the insurance issue, which is the first thing that occurred to me. I'm just going to come out and say that your idea makes sense, but there are just too many problems that will crop up.

Most likely, the owner's insurance is not going to cover you. If he is an employee, the business insurance will provide coverage unless it is specifically excluded in the policy.

Next think about your OWN liability insurance. What does it say about having a firearm while treating patients? Does having a gun void it? What if your carrier found out you carried on the job? I bet they'd drop you. If you are referring to his personal insurance, it will not provide coverage while in his professional capacity. If you are thinking of professional insurance (i.e. malpractice) it is limited to his actions as a professional (general speaking). The owner of the business would provide general liability; unless you are contract help or independent contractor.

You are also going to need a separate policy or a rider to cover liability if you use your gun. That is not going to be easy, even if it is possible, it would tip your malpractice carrier off to you carrying on the job. Why would his malpractice insurance care if he was carrying? If treatment was for him to use a 9mm and he uses a 44 mag, then it might have a issue, but malpractice has nothing or will care if he carrys.

Now consider this: I know of a psychologist who does forensic psych exams. He went to law school part time, graduated, and passed the bar. Getting liability coverage as a dual professional was gawdawful hard, and it took a lot of searching to find it. Substitute "firearm carry" for dual professional, and you can see why it would probably be impossible. There is no 'firearm carry' policy. Now, if he was to be a certified security guard, you may have to have a general business policy with a company that will insure security guards. This is a specialized policy, from specialized carriers for security firms. There are very few companies who insure individual security guards, from an underwriting standpoint.
....snip...

SoonerDad.......IMHO, ask your employer/owner about having an exception to the policy of NO FIREARMS and place it in your file, but you maintain a copy too. The security guard avenue will prolly be more costly and time consuming than you think.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie

Last edited by redbaron007; 10-02-2012 at 08:20..
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 15:21   #30
poodleplumber

Quote:
How do you guys that have them handle the weapons policy?
I don't mention firearms in my employee handbook. Kind of my version of "Don't ask, don't tell."
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote