SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2012, 20:45   #41
Never Nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
Even if you download - you should still unload and reload your mags every 3 months or 3,000 miles whichever comes first.

If you're using synthetic you can go at least 7 maybe 8 thousand before downloading.

NN
Old 10-02-2012, 21:08   #42
.38 super
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
... I've had spring problems with Glock 45 ACP magazines that I never had with 1911 magazines...
My 1911 style pre-historic Llama in .38super have both mags loaded since 1990 believe it ot not.
Besides the feeding problem with one of them that I dropped once, the other-one is performing perfectly. I know for a fact that this gun was not shot from 1990 till 1997, both mags loaded, it was my father in law's gun, the guy was ill, I never shot the gun for 7 years, it was in my possession.
Never had problems with my Glock mags too but they don't stay loaded longer than month or two...
Florida Glockers Club #1964
Калашников Клуб №1000
.38 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:20   #43
jbglock

Actually their is a consensus. I trust Wolff. I trust Vickers. I have modern magazines that have lasted for 15+ years and counting. Download 1.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15   #44
AquaHull

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
Never had a problem with keeping mags loaded for extended periods of time. I do rotate thru my mags for carry about every six months.
Me too, it's easy to do when you have lots of spares. Plus you stay sharp with the carry ammo, since I shoot it out.
AquaHull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:20   #45
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Nervous View Post
If you're using synthetic you can go at least 7 maybe 8 thousand before downloading.

NN
Glocks & Glock mags are synthetic - aren't they?
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38   #46
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
These folks probably know more about gun springs than everyone on this forum:
This is like asking Jiffy Lube if I should change my oil every 3 months / 3,000 miles.

They want to sell springs - what do you think they will say?

If I think really hard - I could come to the conclusion that --

If the manufacturer forces an extra round in - just so they can say - My gun holds 15 - Brand X only holds 14 -

And they do this by - reducing the size of the spring too much - and by "over compresses the spring" I could see a possible spring problem.

----------------
My -

S&W M&P9c mags hold 12 rounds of 9MM with no problem.

The S&W M&P40c mags hold 10 rounds of .40 S&W - but it is a tight fit.

The magazine body is the exact same size - they use the same spring.

I have M&P40c mags that have been fully loaded for almost 5 years - so far no issues - the springs are still strong - I know they are because I can feel it when I load the magazine.

If I need to use a mag loader to get the last few rounds in - because the spring is so stiff - is it possible that the spring is weak? Doesn't seem possible.

Last edited by Z71bill; 10-03-2012 at 07:40..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:57   #47
unit1069

Quote:
Glocks & Glock mags are synthetic - aren't they?
The mag springs are steel.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20   #48
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
10 rounds in a 10 round magazine is the designed amount.
My point being load 10 and then rack the top round in the chamber so it becomes 9+1 leaving a -1 downloaded mag.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:27   #49
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
Didn't notice slide lock (or lack thereof?)
No, no I didn't. That was why I started the post saying it was non-focus and stupidity causing a SD (Stupid Discharge). I am completely at fault and will not make excuses. I didn't pay attention and ABSOLUTELY SHOULD HAVE OBSERVED THE SLIDE BACK IN BATTERY AND NOT HELD OPEN!!!

It has convinced me to download by 1 round by racking the slide on a loaded magazine to obtain the 9+1 configuration on my 10 round G26 magazines in the future. And others, too....

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Old 10-03-2012, 12:32   #50
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhic View Post
My point being load 10 and then rack the top round in the chamber so it becomes 9+1 leaving a -1 downloaded mag.
My point being that a magazine that holds 10 rounds is loaded to the designed amount when it has 10 rounds in it.

Another point: Don't assume a gun is empty because you counted rounds.

Another point: One should probably get out and shoot more if one thinks a Glock, with a magazine inserted, has run out of ammunition despite the fact that the slide closed after the last shot.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:44   #51
xrmattaz

I don't top off Glock mags, except the G38 and 39.

My old pal Chuck Taylor told me his G17 mag springs lasted much longer on his old 375K round Glock by doing so.
G17Gen4,G19,20SF,21SF,21Gen4,23Gen2,38,39
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 16:24   #52
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
This is like asking Jiffy Lube if I should change my oil every 3 months / 3,000 miles.

They want to sell springs - what do you think they will say?
Not really. If you read it they are telling you to not over stress the magazine spring to insure that you will not have to buy a spring from them. If you, as a matter of necessity, need to keep fully loaded magazines, they offer a way to do this (extra power spring) without having to replace springs as often to insure reliability.

They also note that the stress on the spring varies with the magazine design. So for some designs, fully loaded magazines for long durations matters, and in others it doesn't.

Depending upon design, cyclic fatigue is not the only mechanism for changing the k-factor of the spring. If normal stresses are close to the elastic limit, the k-factor changes - and "close", to a certain extent, is a function of time (ie. the "dash pot" in solid modeling)

Last edited by PEC-Memphis; 10-03-2012 at 20:29..
PEC-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 16:49   #53
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
My point being that a magazine that holds 10 rounds is loaded to the designed amount when it has 10 rounds in it.

Another point: Don't assume a gun is empty because you counted rounds.

Another point: One should probably get out and shoot more if one thinks a Glock, with a magazine inserted, has run out of ammunition despite the fact that the slide closed after the last shot.
I agree with you. It was my lack of focus that caused the issue. After 400+ rounds of .22 I was more on "auto-pilot" (not an excuse, I know) and counted 10. I always shoot until empty and the slide locks back. I then close the slide, point downrange and "click" to return the gun to my bag for transport home.

This time I slipped past step #1. And what about people who've asked about their slide not locking back after the last round is fired? The slide would be in battery but the weapon is empty. I am taking this as a lesson to be learned and, as such, I learned something...!

Old 10-03-2012, 17:22   #54
DocWills

oh please like none of us have not done it too.
Old 10-03-2012, 21:01   #55
jbglock

I've never done it but it that is just pure luck. I don't know why he's being criticized so heavily. He had it pointed downrange. It's not like he shot his TV or killed the family dog.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 21:03   #56
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
I've never done it but it that is just pure luck. I don't know why he's being criticized so heavily. He had it pointed downrange. It's not like he shot his TV or killed the family dog.
It's probably because he listed it as a reason to download magazines, as if fully loading his pistol was somehow to blame.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 10-03-2012, 21:12   #57
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
If it's a Glock that I am carrying there are sixteen rounds,one in the chamber fifteen in the magazine Always and that's why to me the LCI extractor is a waste.
If the gun is in my safe it's empty Always,no matter what type it is,handgun,rifle or shotgun. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 22:01   #58
FatBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhic View Post
This is more personal stupidity and non-focus than an equipment issue. Just today, I was at the range testing ammo in my Ruger .22's. I had my G26 with 10+1 concealed.

After finishing the .22, I had one target left so I shot it with my 26. Ten shots and then pointed the pistol downrange (THANK GOD!) before putting it back in the holster so I could leave and head home. Well, I had shot 10 rounds. The G26 carries 10 rounds, but ONE IN THE CHAMBER = ELEVEN!!!

I had the dreaded ND -- more like a SD (Stupid Discharge) -- down range!!! Because I am thinking/counting 10 rounds, the 11th snuck up on me. One more reason to only load the designed amount, downloading one round as the one in the chamber from now on. All Glocks..

I have to say this is craziness. Personally I actually ck my gun to see if it's loaded. I guess it comes from having good habits when I learned how to shoot.

All of my PD guns are loaded to the max; be that 5 or 31.

Back to the OP. I don't have a PhD nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I have had two HK P7M13 mags loaded since 1989ish(except while being emptied at the range) They keep on ticking like a Timex. This discussion has been going on for ever, so I test them every now and then.

FB

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 22:31   #59
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
I have to say this is craziness. Personally I actually ck my gun to see if it's loaded.
As well you should, if you are going to expect it to be unloaded. Check it visually and physically.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:09   #60
Southwind

A properly designed and manufactured spring will not change properties if left under load.

A properly designed and manufactured pistol will not eject brass into the user's face.

Hmmmm...
Southwind is offline   Reply With Quote