Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2012, 14:14   #1
Clay1

38/ 357 bullets in 9mm?

Anyone load .357 bullets in a 356 barrel? I'm not talking about hot loads. You ask why would you do that. I was given about 5000 .357 124 grain hp bullets. I just want to shoot them up in my 9 for local matches/ league practice nights. While I load for 357 Rem mag, I will never go through this many, but shooting my G34 in matches they won't last all that long.

Think something that makes minor PF in Production/SSP.

Maybe I should just trade them for something else and forget it.
Old 09-29-2012, 14:20   #2
fredj338

If you work up the load carefully, yes it can be done safely. You need a chronograph to chart the vel increase, which will indicate a pressure increase. I have succesfully load 0.357" bullet in 357sig as an experiment. Your accuracy may vary, but it's not uncommon fo guys to shoot 0.357" lead bullets in their 9mm all the time. You just can't plug & play though, they have to be worked up.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 09-29-2012 at 14:21..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 15:48   #3
Hoser
Mall Ninja

I had a bunch of 158 gn round nose bullets I burned through in 9x19 and 38 Super. Worked just fine, but start at min loads and work up.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 15:54   #4
glock_19guy1983

I shoot .357 158gr bullets in my .355 38 super all the time. Like said work up from the bottom and watch for pressure signs and you will be fine.
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
glock_19guy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 19:06   #5
Clay1

Thanks for the thoughts guys, much appreciated.
Old 09-29-2012, 19:17   #6
nomadrider

If your 357 is the Ruger Blackhawk, that would be the nuts.
Old 09-29-2012, 19:37   #7
Clay1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadrider View Post
If your 357 is the Ruger Blackhawk, that would be the nuts.

Smith 27, N frame 8 3/8" with presentation case.
Old 09-29-2012, 20:49   #8
ROGER4314

Been loading since the mid 1960's and have followed a policy of always loading from published data. I have a whole library of loading manuals and if isn't in one of those books, I don't load it. I don't use Internet loads and won't post loading data on the Internet.

Would I use those bullets for the load that you described? Not a chance.

Flash

Loving the Harley idle....potato, potato, potato.
ROGER4314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 20:50   #9
WiskyT
Malcontent

I've shot 0.357jhp's meant for 38/357 in my G17 with no problems. Start low and work up, just like any other reloading project and you'll be fine.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 23:23   #10
Clay1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGER4314 View Post
Been loading since the mid 1960's and have followed a policy of always loading from published data. I have a whole library of loading manuals and if isn't in one of those books, I don't load it. I don't use Internet loads and won't post loading data on the Internet.

Would I use those bullets for the load that you described? Not a chance.

Flash
You'll probably notice that many loads from the 60, 70 and 80s are no longer in the current books. They liked things hotter in the good ole days. I have many manuals from the 70's and a couple from the 60's.

Second, minor power factor is 125,000. Power factor is bullet weight X velocity. So for a 125 grain bullet it needs to go 1008 fps. That's a very mild load out of a G34.
Old 09-30-2012, 00:09   #11
Colorado4Wheel

Power varies a little day to day in a gun and chrono so most people load to around 130pf. I do wonder a little if the larger jacketed bullet would deform less easily then lead of the same caliber leading to much higher pressure then running a lead .357 in 9mm.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:53   #12
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Power varies a little day to day in a gun and chrono so most people load to around 130pf. I do wonder a little if the larger jacketed bullet would deform less easily then lead of the same caliber leading to much higher pressure then running a lead .357 in 9mm.
Speer #8 lists 0.357" 125jsp loaded at about a million fps in 9mm. Wonder no more.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:07   #13
Ceapea

A related question...
What about using 9mm bullets in 38/357 revolvers?
I have a ton of 90gr, 9mm/380 bullets that are too short for 380 and work just OK in 9mm. There is not enough bearing surface to hold them in the 380 cases and still keep them below max COAL.
I was thinking that since they taper down so quickly, that they might work with a light roll crimp in a 38. I know that they won't just fall through the barrel of a 38. As a matter of fact, they are still quite a bit larger than the minor diameter of the barrel. So, they should have enough, but not too much, back pressure.
I think that I'm gonna give it a try. Light plinking loads.
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:44   #14
Glockbuster

Dont expect much accuracy with them.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:01   #15
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Speer #8 lists 0.357" 125jsp loaded at about a million fps in 9mm. Wonder no more.
Whatever that means.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:46   #16
Clay1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I went into the shack and found a Speer number 10. Inside cover was dated by me on Aug 8th, 1984. It lists .355 and .356 bullet diameters but no .357. Also interesting was that the bullet weights listed were 88, 100 two 125 gr loads. That's it. I have some older manuals that were my father's and haven't searched those yet.

I also wonder, like Colorado4wheel about pressure increases and that was the reason for the post in the first place.

Angus Hobdell a sponsored CZ shooter and the importer of Zero bullets into this country once told me that he shoots both 356 / 357 interchangeably just depends on what he has the most of. That wasn't second hand, I was on the phone with him directly. Then again, if something does go wrong with his gun he probably just gets another one.
Old 09-30-2012, 13:09   #17
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
I went into the shack and found a Speer number 10. Inside cover was dated by me on Aug 8th, 1984. It lists .355 and .356 bullet diameters but no .357. Also interesting was that the bullet weights listed were 88, 100 two 125 gr loads. That's it. I have some older manuals that were my father's and haven't searched those yet.

I also wonder, like Colorado4wheel about pressure increases and that was the reason for the post in the first place.

Angus Hobdell a sponsored CZ shooter and the importer of Zero bullets into this country once told me that he shoots both 356 / 357 interchangeably just depends on what he has the most of. That wasn't second hand, I was on the phone with him directly. Then again, if something does go wrong with his gun he probably just gets another one.
Pressures are increased, it's why everyone tells you to work up the load. Bullets are not plug & play, it matters.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 13:26   #18
Clay1

There is nothing in this thread that has surprised me or that I have disagreed with. Yes, it can be done but do it with caution. Thanks everyone for the responses. Note: I have been reloading since 1982 (30 years).
Old 09-30-2012, 14:05   #19
Colorado4Wheel

My wonder is.....

Is there a huge increase in pressure as the FMJ bullet is squeezed by the throat that doesn't show up in extra velocity after the bullet starts going down the barrel and picking up speed. So more pressure with no gain in velocity at the chrono.
Old 09-30-2012, 14:40   #20
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
My wonder is.....

Is there a huge increase in pressure as the FMJ bullet is squeezed by the throat that doesn't show up in extra velocity after the bullet starts going down the barrel and picking up speed. So more pressure with no gain in velocity at the chrono.
My wonder is if people even know what their bore size is. Lots of Colts with 0.355" bores shooting 0.357" jacketed bullets in 357Mag.