Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-22-2012, 18:58   #1
Gpruitt54

Florida non-resident CCW permit???

Recently, I learned that it is possible to receive a Florida non-resident CCW permit. Questions:
Is this true?
Is It it legal?
Have any of you done this?

Where am I seeing this? See the link below:
http://dmztactical.com/florida-non-r...aining-course/

Currently I live in Illinois, as I understand it, the only state that does not allow CCW permits. I know that getting a non-resident CCW does not allow me to carry in my state, but I am interested.

Anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Have any of you actually cone this?
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 19:00   #2
steveksux
Massive Member

You can send away for the application by mail. I was going to do it, having family in FL we will visit. But then FL recognized MI permits, right about the time the application arrived, so I never filled it out.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 19:07   #3
Bruce M

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 19:19   #4
fwm

Something I haven't seen on here is the fact that the application states that you must be eligible for a CCW in your home state. I doubt you will be able to receive an FFL license as a IL resident.
Old 07-22-2012, 19:21   #5
Gpruitt54

According to the website listed, you have to show up for classes. So, for a non-resident, it's a little tough. Or, can one obtain a CCW Permit from the state of Florida or any other state without having to show up at the state authorization office?
Old 07-22-2012, 19:31   #6
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
Something I haven't seen on here is the fact that the application states that you must be eligible for a CCW in your home state. I doubt you will be able to receive an FFL license as a IL resident.
I have an FOID (Firearms Owner ID) card for the state of Illinois. I am not interested in getting an FFL (but, if this required, them OK). I am however, interested in a CCW permit. I understand that this does not allow carrying in Illinois. But some states do recognize CCW permits of other states. I am interested in understanding how Florida can provide non-residents CCW permits. If this is possible, I would love to hold a CCW.
Old 07-22-2012, 19:33   #7
DaneA

I see nothing here that requires you actually be in Florida. However, getting some of the qualifications while residing in the state of Illinois might be difficult. Check out this link:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 19:40   #8
ParisArms

Check FL law enforcement division's website.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Last edited by ParisArms; 07-22-2012 at 19:58..
ParisArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 20:02   #9
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpruitt54 View Post
According to the website listed, you have to show up for classes. So, for a non-resident, it's a little tough. Or, can one obtain a CCW Permit from the state of Florida or any other state without having to show up at the state authorization office?
I believe they had a listing of out of state instructors that were certified/acceptable for FL's purposes. Just depends if one is close to you.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 20:07   #10
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
I believe they had a listing of out of state instructors that were certified/acceptable for FL's purposes. Just depends if one is close to you.

Randy
You may be right. I looked through the details and I did not see any special instructions for people actually living outside the state.
Old 07-22-2012, 20:27   #11
ChicagoZman

I got my Florida license about ten years ago when I still lived in Illinois. I had taken an NRA class some years before, which was sufficient for the training requirement. Just completed the application, attached the appropriate photographs and had my local PD run my prints.

I moved about five years ago and renewed with Florida at the same time as I applied with Indiana.
Glocks: 17, 17L, 22, 22C, 23, 24C, 27, 34
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 20:36   #12
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoZman View Post
I got my Florida license about ten years ago when I still lived in Illinois. I had taken an NRA class some years before, which was sufficient for the training requirement. Just completed the application, attached the appropriate photographs and had my local PD run my prints.

I moved about five years ago and renewed with Florida at the same time as I applied with Indiana.
Excellent! So, there is set of training that require formal instructions. In your case, you fulfilled this in an NRA class. What are these trainings? Would these trainings be available in states with no CCW provisions?
Old 07-22-2012, 22:50   #13
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I believe Florida only requires a "Home" permit, when you're in a state that issues CCW's (this is why folks from May issue states get screwed on the Florida Non-Res permits)... I imagine for Illinois residents, this shouldn't be an issue (or maybe I'm confusing Florida and Utah)
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 07-22-2012 at 22:51..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:52   #14
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Also consider a UT non-resident permit. $65 and renewals for it are $15 whereas FL permit is $112 originally and $102 renewal for out of state

http://www.carrysafely.com/utah-conc...rry-permit.htm
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:30   #15
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
Also consider a UT non-resident permit. $65 and renewals for it are $15 whereas FL permit is $112 originally and $102 renewal for out of state

http://www.carrysafely.com/utah-conc...rry-permit.htm
Quote:
Also, I believe that residents of Illinois will have a concealed carry law and CCW permits within the next 2 years. Its possible that with Utah concealed carry permit training, you may be a step ahead in receiving your Illinois CCW permits, when our lawmakers decide that the people of Illinois are entitled to protect ourselves and our families.
That guy is either off his medication or totally delusional. I'd love to see Illinois get a shall issue system, but anyone who says that will happen in the next 2yrs, is simply ignorant of Illinois politics.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:01   #16
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
That guy is either off his medication or totally delusional. I'd love to see Illinois get a shall issue system, but anyone who says that will happen in the next 2yrs, is simply ignorant of Illinois politics.
I honestly don't give a damn about that. I was looking at the class for the UT carry permit in IL and that's the first link that came up. His political beliefs don't matter one whit, UT has a strict class and they export the slides required for their permit.

Doesn't matter who the class is from, it's still about half price from FL's permit and renewal is, what, 15% of the price of FL's renewal.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:25   #17
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
I honestly don't give a damn about that. I was looking at the class for the UT carry permit in IL and that's the first link that came up. His political beliefs don't matter one whit, UT has a strict class and they export the slides required for their permit.

Doesn't matter who the class is from, it's still about half price from FL's permit and renewal is, what, 15% of the price of FL's renewal.
Political views aside, you favor the Utah CCW over that of Florida? In another post within this thread, someone said the Utah permit is cheaper than the Florida permit. Would agree with that?

Have you actually taken the classes for Florida or Utah non-resident permit? If so, what are your views on the process and the training.

As an Illinois resident, I am trying to get a bead on which class to take in order to get a CCW permit.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:38   #18
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpruitt54 View Post
Political views aside, you favor the Utah CCW over that of Florida? In another post within this thread, someone said the Utah permit is cheaper than the Florida permit. Would agree with that?

Have you actually taken the classes for Florida or Utah non-resident permit? If so, what are your views on the process and the training.

As an Illinois resident, I am trying to get a bead on which class to take in order to get a CCW permit.
I'm the one who posted the two states' pricing on both the original permit as well as the renewal so yeah I'd bet I agree with the posting.

I'm a vet so I wouldn't have to take anything for FL's permit. I did take UT's class and it was exactly what I expected, general good to know stuff and not a whole lot of surprises.

Why don't you get whichever one you want, that will give you the most useful set of states you can carry in, and after that start taking personal protection classes.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:57   #19
TTex
Cannon Fodder

I think many states no longer honor non-resident permits. Florida has a tough time keeping track of out-of-state criminal activity by permit holders, so I think the non-resident permit is on the way out.
TTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:05   #20
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTex View Post
I think many states no longer honor non-resident permits. Florida has a tough time keeping track of out-of-state criminal activity by permit holders, so I think the non-resident permit is on the way out.
I believe they'll hang around until all states are shall-issue. It's an excellent source of revenue without a whole lot of downside.