Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-21-2012, 19:57   #1
tsh3406

Old question, but maybe new circumstances

I've read several posts on here regarding trigger modifications on a ccw. The majority opinion is don't change anything, but I don't have that option. I have a spinal cord injury that has left me with significant strength loss in my hand. I can shoot a single or double action revolver (puling hammer back first) just fine, do ok with guns like the HK USP and the S&W MP22, but am unable as of yet to fire a double action only gun. I just completed a concealed carry course and intend to order a Glock 20 with and additional conv. barrel, as it's been the semi auto that fits my grip best and the easiest to operate. I went to Cabela's awhile back and they brought me damn near every model they had, it was extremely helpful and very generous of their time. I'm going to try the gun as is, however, if it should require modification, in the experts' opinions, what route will prove the most reliable? In my case, every little bit counts.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
tsh3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 20:06   #2
TheExplorer

Given your situation, you may want to ask Cab if they have a trigger pull gauge before you go spending any money. If not, you're looking at a lot of trial and error.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 21:07   #3
tsh3406

The way I see it, there's only so much trial and error I can do for it's intended purpose. The more I read, the more I think the Glock 3.5 lb connector and trigger/striker springs are about the limit. If that doesn't do the trick then it gets the works and will become a recreational firearm. In which case, I don't mind a bit because I've wanted a 20 for as long as I can remember.
tsh3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 22:47   #4
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

You might want to ask Mas up in GATE about this. I would like to think if you have a physical disability and your gun required modifications in order for you to correctly use it to defend yourself would be defensible in court.

The modifications could possibly be defensible in court providing nothing was done to the firearm that would cause a accidental discharge or render any safety mechanism inoperative. Furthermore, I would imagine you would have to prove that your disability required you to have a lighter trigger and that the lighter trigger isn't a safety/negligence issue due to your disability.

(This is all assuming the court was going to try to hang you on the notion that your trigger was too light.) It's not saying they would try but that isn't to say they wouldn't.

For a normal person I would consider the 3.5 pound connector in a Glock a hair too light for carry but for someone that's having a hard time pulling the trigger, it just might be the ticket and a non-issue.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:54   #5
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
You might want to ask Mas up in GATE about this. I would like to think if you have a physical disability and your gun required modifications in order for you to correctly use it to defend yourself would be defensible in court.

The modifications could possibly be defensible in court providing nothing was done to the firearm that would cause a accidental discharge or render any safety mechanism inoperative. Furthermore, I would imagine you would have to prove that your disability required you to have a lighter trigger and that the lighter trigger isn't a safety/negligence issue due to your disability.

(This is all assuming the court was going to try to hang you on the notion that your trigger was too light.) It's not saying they would try but that isn't to say they wouldn't.

For a normal person I would consider the 3.5 pound connector in a Glock a hair too light for carry but for someone that's having a hard time pulling the trigger, it just might be the ticket and a non-issue.

Good luck.
I think any modification is ok, as long as your lawyer can explain it to a non gun owning jury.

In the case of a physical disability that should come up pretty early in the trial as your lawyer explains why you had to defend yourself the way you did. That would build the foundation so if the prosecution tries to bring up a lightened trigger it is quickly dealt with.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:07   #6
dosei

So...you have significant hand strength issues to the point that you question whether or not you are capable of pulling the trigger on a stock Glock, and you've decided to get a 10mm...
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:01   #7
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Are you able to reciprocate the slide (cycle the action) on a semi auto pistol?

I wish you well.

- G
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:04   #8
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
So...you have significant hand strength issues to the point that you question whether or not you are capable of pulling the trigger on a stock Glock, and you've decided to get a 10mm...
FIRST THING I THOUGHT OF!

Glock pistols don't do well with any trigger lighter than 4.5#'s. I know I'd certainly never carry one and, especially, not in C-1.

I teach pistolcraft; and I've encourage elderly people in similar circumstances to yourself to SHOOT WHAT THEY CAN HANDLE. Sometimes that's a 22LR or 5.7 x 28mm pistol. Other times it's a small caliber carbine that they can tuck underneath an arm in order to gain better control while firing.

Back in the day, we had people in the store who weren't able to do simple tasks like opening a jar, or twisting a bottle cap off. These people require special consideration AND PRACTICALITY when selecting and using a handgun. Sometimes no handgun at all, but a carbine, is the only right answer.

A 10mm pistol? NEVER!

Last edited by Arc Angel; 10-23-2012 at 04:10..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:21   #9
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
I think any modification is ok, as long as your lawyer can explain it to a non gun owning jury.

In the case of a physical disability that should come up pretty early in the trial as your lawyer explains why you had to defend yourself the way you did. That would build the foundation so if the prosecution tries to bring up a lightened trigger it is quickly dealt with.

You should know that this is not an issue in our commonwealth of Virginia. I have consulted with an attorney knowledgeable in these matters.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:02   #10
SouthernBoyVA

deleted.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 10-23-2012 at 07:12..
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28   #11
eaglefrq
NRA Member

It's not a Glock, but have you considered a 1911 in 9mm?

I have a Springfield EMP and the trigger pull is 3.5lbs and you can adjust the trigger creep. It is a little heavier because it's not a polymer frame.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:40   #12
M24C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsh3406 View Post
I've read several posts on here regarding trigger modifications on a ccw. The majority opinion is don't change anything, but I don't have that option. I have a spinal cord injury that has left me with significant strength loss in my hand. I can shoot a single or double action revolver (puling hammer back first) just fine, do ok with guns like the HK USP and the S&W MP22, but am unable as of yet to fire a double action only gun. I just completed a concealed carry course and intend to order a Glock 20 with and additional conv. barrel, as it's been the semi auto that fits my grip best and the easiest to operate. I went to Cabela's awhile back and they brought me damn near every model they had, it was extremely helpful and very generous of their time. I'm going to try the gun as is, however, if it should require modification, in the experts' opinions, what route will prove the most reliable? In my case, every little bit counts.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
If you read anything of Massad Ayoob, you can make changes to the gun. The biggest things Not to do for a defense gun is make the trigger lighter than stock and defeat any safeties. Smoother triggers are fine. Lighter triggers get into hair trigger accusations. Even barrel conversions are fine and dependable.

My guns have 3.5 connector with NY-1 spring. It makes the trigger pull ~ 6 pounds. Stock is 5.5 pounds for Glocks.

40 Club number #164
M24C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:23   #13
cowboy1964

Yeah, anyone with limited strength, the first thing they should try is to moisten their hands and then try racking the slide. If they can handle that then they should be able to handle a stock Glock trigger.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 10-23-2012 at 10:24..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:22   #14
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefrq View Post
It's not a Glock, but have you considered a 1911 in 9mm?

I have a Springfield EMP and the trigger pull is 3.5lbs and you can adjust the trigger creep. It is a little heavier because it's not a polymer frame.
The M1911A1 may be too heavy for his hands.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:42   #15
eaglefrq
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
The M1911A1 may be too heavy for his hands.
A full sized 1911 might be, but the EMP is lighter than the G20.

G20 w/empty magazine is 27.68 oz
EMP w/empty magazine is 26 oz
Old 10-23-2012, 15:41   #16
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by M24C View Post
If you read anything of Massad Ayoob, you can make changes to the gun. The biggest things Not to do for a defense gun is make the trigger lighter than stock and defeat any safeties. Smoother triggers are fine. Lighter triggers get into hair trigger accusations. Even barrel conversions are fine and dependable.

My guns have 3.5 connector with NY-1 spring. It makes the trigger pull ~ 6 pounds. Stock is 5.5 pounds for Glocks.

This is going to depend upon the state in which you reside.
Old 10-23-2012, 16:52   #17
shotgunred
reloading nut

I find it hilarious that mas and his fan boys are so anti modifying glocks. The first thing most 1911 owners do it have a gunsmith rework their gun. Ask the same question at a 1911 fourm. See how diffrent the answer you get is. It is easy to drop a glock trigger to 2.5 to 3 pounds.

A new york trigger has to be the stupidest thing ever made for a GLOCK! It is right up there with a CW badge.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 17:50   #18
M24C

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
I find it hilarious that mas and his fan boys are so anti modifying glocks. The first thing most 1911 owners do it have a gunsmith rework their gun. Ask the same question at a 1911 fourm. See how diffrent the answer you get is. It is easy to drop a glock trigger to 2.5 to 3 pounds.

A new york trigger has to be the stupidest thing ever made for a GLOCK! It is right up there with a CW badge.
Whether you find it funny or not. I was talking about all gun triggers, used for self defense. Not just Glocks, I've asked Massad about it and that is his advise. Now you can disagree with him on that issue that is fine by me. It is no skin off my nose. Hell what does Massad know, only been a gun expert witness in many hundreds of self Defense cases. You can ignore that or not. I don't care, the question came up and I answered what I do and why. Your answer is what? ask the 1911 forum? Get a different answer. What do you do for your self Defense Guns? What is your reason for it and why?

PS if you noticed I did modify my gun
40 Club number #164

Last edited by M24C; 10-23-2012 at 17:52..
M24C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:40   #19
SCmasterblaster

I highly recommend

that you get a 3.5 connector for your Glock. It will make a big difference. But remember that if you send your Glock back to Glock GA for any service, they will remove your 3.5 connector and put in a 5.5 connector and return your Glock and 3.5 connector (on the side) back to you, and you'd have to re-install your 3.5 connector back into your Glock.