GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 21:47   #151
rockymtnhorror

Look at the bright side: at least the cops didn't shoot the guy's dog!
rockymtnhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 22:16   #152
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnhorror View Post
Look at the bright side: at least the cops didn't shoot the guy's dog!
But they did Taser the Dog when it wouldn't show ID.

Old 10-01-2012, 22:21   #153
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 View Post
Suing for $2.2 million for 4 hours in jail? What a shmuck. At most he should get legal fees paid for and the car for free, at most.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Someone doesn't understand the consequences of an arrest on a healthcare professional's career.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 22:39   #154
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:
Suing for $2.2 million for 4 hours in jail? What a shmuck. At most he should get legal fees paid for and the car for free, at most.

So how many times have you been arrested? How many strip searches? How many times hauled infront of judge??
There are MANY jobs, times where just haveing BEEN arrested can cause trouble. It does NOT matter why/finding in case. Just that you were arrested.
If I was offered "just let us lie to Police so they arrest you, haul you in, search you, put in your record that you were arrested for car theft... and we will give you $40k " I would tell you to keep your money. (forcefully)

I recall I had a landlord who got arrested for trespass BUT included was RESISTING arrest. He said he NEVER got a warning once Officer found that out. (he was riding ATV when he was 20 and tried to get home when he saw Police come out)
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 23:06   #155
nursetim

See? Every penny, I rest his case.
Old 10-01-2012, 23:06   #156
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANWALL View Post
Will someone who can follow this please post what finally is resolved (if it is ever made public).

I my opinion the person who made false statements to the police should be charged.
Good point. Around here (Fla.) filing a false Police report is a felony. Now I'm wondering how this works out as far as the, probably soon to be ex, employees at the dealership.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:44   #157
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
... I, in my tiny way, am trying to combat that ignorance. Why I do it here, I have no idea. I certainly don't change many peoples' minds. Most of GT surely thinks I'm an arrogant prick (I don't come off that way in real life, oddly enough). But that's what it is. I'm not obsessive about being right. It just bugs the hell out of me when others insist on being wrong, in the face of the facts.
Teachers try to transfer the "love for learning" to others around them.

In verse it is easy to find a stopping point, but in prose, with online communication being limited to both sides' effectual transfer of respective viewpoints, sometimes it is not so easy to come to the point of, "okay, you don't care about ever getting it."

The way I see it is like this, your love of learning keeps you turning over every stone for the benefit of the recipient. All teachers do it and those whom are not teachers sometimes do not understand the dogged persistence or tenacity to make something plainly understood.

"rock on garth"
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 10-02-2012 at 01:46..
Old 10-05-2012, 11:03   #158
Hawkeye16

You can arrest me and throw me in a holding cell for 4 hours any day of the week even for just a measly $1 million.

Suing for $2 million is still a shmuck move IMO.

Hawkeye16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:39   #159
nursetim

Okay, but you can never do what you love to do and make a good living doing it. For a mil? Pass. I love what I do too much. I'm sorry for you if you do not have that passion in your life.
Old 10-05-2012, 16:35   #160
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
You can arrest me and throw me in a holding cell for 4 hours any day of the week even for just a measly $1 million.

People who don't understand the value of freedom, or who lack a comprehension of earning potential are usually the ones to shart at the mouth about "a measly mil or 2 mil".

What do you do for a living, and what is the level of your education?
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 19:38   #161
nursetim

Now Gallium, lets not get elitist. You know the old joke, plumber fixes a neurosurgeon's sink and presents the doc with a $500 bill. The surgeon is outraged at the cost. He tells the plumber, " I'm a brain surgeon and I only get half of what you charge." The plumber replies, "yeah, I know, that's what I used to get when I was a brain surgeon also."

I will agree that it is our, yours and mine, that he does not value his freedom or reputation as much as we do. He may have a job that clean criminal history is not as important as it is in ours.
Old 10-05-2012, 20:02   #162
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:

It's not the 4 hours in jail that matter. It's the fact that as a member of the medical profession, the car buyer's arrest effectively ends his chances of employment in 99% of the jobs for which he is trained and qualified.
Old 10-05-2012, 22:09   #163
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:

First he will never get $2.2 million. I doubt he will get "realisticly" Half a million take home. MAX.
At my age, with career I have/assets I control...
I still wouldn't care to be arrested/charged/have a record. And realisticly it wouldn't really hinder me too much. Doubt I will ever need to be in position where having a arrest/no conviction would hinder me.
If I was still in EMS, some of the other jobs I have done. Frankly I never would have gotten a interview.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:01   #164
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
First he will never get $2.2 million. I doubt he will get "realisticly" Half a million take home. MAX.
At my age, with career I have/assets I control...
I still wouldn't care to be arrested/charged/have a record. And realisticly it wouldn't really hinder me too much. Doubt I will ever need to be in position where having a arrest/no conviction would hinder me.
If I was still in EMS, some of the other jobs I have done. Frankly I never would have gotten a interview.
In Florida, it is now cheaper to kill slaves; namely, instead of worker's comp paying for people with injuries, if they get killed, the maximum allowed "benefit" is $150,000.00.

This number is being "worked on" so as to be even lower, but for all intents and purposes, 150K is the most you're liable for as far as death benefits. (Hey, this number makes the actuary tables more clear huh?!? )
Old 04-24-2013, 09:25   #165
bayshtyshorty

Quote:
They certainly should be financially responsible. The question is, did they do $2.2M in damages?
the only way to answer that question is time, what if they settle low, then he loses his job and cant find another one because of his record...the risk is all on the buyer...2.2M bend them over!
~Grandpa Fred~
bayshtyshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:32   #166
KevinFACE

Quote:
They certainly should be financially responsible. The question is, did they do $2.2M in damages?
Being unlawfully arrested is cause for a lot in damages and the person who called in the false police report regarding it being stolen should be arrested.
KevinFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:41   #167
Adjuster

Holly rejuvenated threads Batman!

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50   #168
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Easy to give away other peoples' money, eh?

Whose pocket is the 2.2 million going to come out of? It's not going to be the pocket of the employee who made the mistake, I'll tell you that much.

The owner is ultimately responsible for every asset/liability he brings into his company.

Business is business, you should know that....
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:51   #169
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:

It looks like the court thinks they did, didn't they?
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:56   #170
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

Threads like this really show who has experience with the criminal justice system, and who does not.

I routinely see doctors and lawyers make their way through my jail. Not like a once per week thing, but enough so you notice. Especially when one of them is my childrens' pediatrician. Or another is a practicing attorney with lots of annoying TV ads.

Both of the people in question still practice their licensed professions to this day. But hey, go ahead and believe that an arrest will end their career, if it makes you feel outraged and morally superior. You're wrong, of course - but being incorrect and not having any clue about the topic at hand, yet speaking with certainty is becoming more and more of a trademark here.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:56   #171
ChiefWPD

Well, what was the outcome of the case?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:57   #172
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

Add to the lineup of professionals I've seen arrested - a pilot for UPS, who does an overseas route. Personal friend, by the way.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:15   #173
Steve0853

It was a bad deal even if the guy bought the car for $34,000 and the dealership never called and tried to scam him.

It's a freaking Chevy Traverse for $34,000. Drive it off the lot and its a $22,000 Chevy Traverse.
Steve0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:21   #174
Glotin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
Threads like this really show who has experience with the criminal justice system, and who does not.

I routinely see doctors and lawyers make their way through my jail. Not like a once per week thing, but enough so you notice. Especially when one of them is my childrens' pediatrician. Or another is a practicing attorney with lots of annoying TV ads.

Both of the people in question still practice their licensed professions to this day. But hey, go ahead and believe that an arrest will end their career, if it makes you feel outraged and morally superior. You're wrong, of course - but being incorrect and not having any clue about the topic at hand, yet speaking with certainty is becoming more and more of a trademark here.
What is your point?

There's nothing wrong with filing a false police report and having someone arrested? You wouldn't care if you were wrongfully arrested? It's not that big a deal?

The Law
Glotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:26   #175
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
I agree the dealeer should pay but I'm not quite sure it should be 2.2 million.
While I'm not a big fan of suing casually, they swore out a (false) statement that he'd stolen the car, had him arrested out of his front yard, and taken away in cuffs, despite a signed and paid-in-full sales contract.

$2.2 million may not be the correct amount, but IMHO the individuals involved with the false report should be facing criminal charges (as with any intentional false report - I think the system promotes abuse when there aren't consequences for manipulating law enforcement), the dealership should have every enforcement entity it works with crawl through their business practices with a fine-tooth comb, and the dealership/their insurer should be on the hook for a solid six-figure settlement.

Your behavior angers God and/or the Constitution. Just sayin'.

I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by low barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.
Deanster is online now   Reply With Quote