Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:30   #1
hotrodcummins12v

Have you ever been shot?

I would really like to hear form someone who has (unfortunately) been shot. We all have different ideas on how a self-defense situation would do down. We all hope one shot will be enough to stop the treat, but we've seen some poor placed shots on the news and the perp keeps on going. I hunt and I know that some animals can still have a lot of fight left in them even with a vital shot. Is it painful initially? Does adrenaline take over? If I were to be shot by a BG, would there still be a chance for retaliation? I'm not trolling, and this is something that I have always wondered about. I've tried to search for previous threads but no matter how you try to search someone being shot on a gun forum, you get hundreds of threads. Thanks

Sub Club 828
1911 Club 828
Outdoor Hub Mobile
hotrodcummins12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:39   #2
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

yes, I was about six. 12 ga, rock salt. It hurts til the salt completely melts.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:51   #3
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

A .22 in the back - allegedly by accident. I was protected. Not even as much pain as a bee sting. She went away....

A .45 in the hip. I did this one myself (I hate you DeSantis). Thought I had just burned myself until the wet started. When I reached down to check, my finger went into the hole. It didn't really hurt a lot until I got to the hospital and was walking to the ER.

In neither case was I disabled by pain in any way. I don't think it was adrenaline. I think the nerves were numbed, until later.

I would think that unless there was physical damage like shattered joints or leg/arm bones or a shot to the heart, brain, liver, I could finish the fight - then things would catch up with me.

Last edited by DustyJacket; 09-28-2012 at 07:53..
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11   #4
woodasptim

Not really, but close enough. I got hit with some 12 gauge #6 shot on a ricochet, had to pick a few pellets out of my chest with a pocket knife. We were out rabbit hunting and someone had thrown an old refrigerator compressor into the brush.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:50   #5
racer11

Not me but friend of mine who I can describe his experience.

.45 in the back and thru his torso and out the front,,,he lived.

He had a jewelry shop and was robbed. Perp came in and wanted to look at some rings for his GF. Owner showed him some rings and when the owner looked down to get another ring the perp pulled his gat and said give'em to me.

The owner make a big mistake at that point. Instead of letting the perp just go and hand over the ring (s) the owner turned away from the perp and made a dash for the back to get his gun. When he turned his back toward the perp, the perp made a quick shot and plugged him. Bullet went in his lower right back and came out just below his right nipple. The bullet did not hit any vital organs and just missed them by centimeters. He then was able to stumble to the back room and get his gun and waited for the perp to come and finish him off. The perp knew he went for a gun ( he stated later,,that is why he shot him) instead the perp left the shop in order to escape. Owner heard the entrance door close and he then called the cops and then called his wife to inform her that he was wounded by gunfire.

Owner told me that the impact of the bullet felt like someone slugged him in the back with a sludge hammer or baseball bat knocking the wind out of him. There was little blood and not as much pain as you would think until later on. Worst pain was when the paramedics shoved a giant needle in his lungs thru his side,,,first try they hit a rib and had to do it again. He said the paramedic took the palm on his hand and shoved it in him,,he said it was like getting speared and it hurt like total hell.

About 2 weeks in the hospital and tender and sore for a month or so and some pain in his chest area for several months later. He required no surgery and is now completely healed and he retired at that point and closed the business. Perp was caught and after all the court crap was finally incarcerated in the Kansas Department of corrections and I think housed in the Eldorado Kansas facility.

Before this incident the owner and I were talking gun stuff and I advised him to carry his gun on his person and be super observant and ready when he gets a funny feeling and listen to his instinct's, and I invited him to come out to my place and he could get some shooting experience. The owner had little to no shooting experience at all and did not really know much about guns and ballistics or anything. Owner told me that he did have a funny feeling when the perp came in but he did not act on his feelings.

In my opinion this is a good example where having a gun and not having any knowledge or any skills with the gun got him shot. If he had not of went for his gun he probably would have not been shot and maybe the perp would have just left with his stolen property,,,no one knows for sure.

This happened about a year ago, the owner now has some anxiety when he is out of his home and around a black male, the perp was a black male,,, For some reason in some situations something will trip a PTSD incident.

I hope this answers the OP's question.

Last edited by racer11; 09-28-2012 at 08:54..
racer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:58   #6
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Nope. Shot at, but not hit. Had two partners shot. One in the torso with a .22 (no pain at first, and then extreme pain, full recovery) then another, shot in the head and shoulder with a .357 Sig (shot the persons who shot him and then walked to the ambulance and then spent a month in the hospital recovering, close to full recovery).

And, a lot of other people I know. It's amazing how often they didn't know they were shot until later, and how many had wounds that looked bad but were not disabling.

Last edited by series1811; 09-28-2012 at 09:36..
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:27   #7
FFR Spyder GT
Ex-Gunslinger

I went bird hunting with Dick Cheney ..... once.

Does that count?

The only time I've ever been shot was with a Czech Škorpion vz. 61 9mm Makarov and I was wearing a late '80s style SBA and it didn't penetrate the vest.

I did end up with a few bruises from the 3 rounds to the chest.

I'm glad I was wearing a vest and that the BG didn't have anything bigger.
FFR Spyder GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:29   #8
glock_19guy1983

.22 to the calf when I was 12 years old. I watched a few too many westerns. Never felt it till the blood started running down my leg. I walked a half mile home. Doctor said i was lucky because the bullet passed 1/4 inch from an artery. It took till my sophmore year in high school to live down the nickname "quick draw".
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
glock_19guy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:31   #9
kensb2
pistol n00b

Lucky for me, I've only been shot at, not shot. AQI doesn't have the best marksmen in town. I think that Lone Wolf could probably fill you in quite well on what it's like to be shot.
kensb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:04   #10
Glotin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodcummins12v View Post
I would really like to hear form someone who has (unfortunately) been shot. We all have different ideas on how a self-defense situation would do down. We all hope one shot will be enough to stop the treat, but we've seen some poor placed shots on the news and the perp keeps on going. I hunt and I know that some animals can still have a lot of fight left in them even with a vital shot. Is it painful initially? Does adrenaline take over? If I were to be shot by a BG, would there still be a chance for retaliation? I'm not trolling, and this is something that I have always wondered about. I've tried to search for previous threads but no matter how you try to search someone being shot on a gun forum, you get hundreds of threads. Thanks

Sub Club 828
1911 Club 828
Outdoor Hub Mobile
It depends entirely on the person and their training, mindset, situation, mental toughness etc.

Some people will crumple and become incapacitated even if they haven't been shot and just think they have. (studies show about 10% of the population are cowards who can't function in combat)

...then there's guys like Mike Day, who went through a doorway in Iraq and took 27 rounds from 4 AK-47s + a grenade. 16 rounds to exposed areas and 11 to his armor/primary, which was blown out of his hands. As he was falling he drew his side arm and killed 2 of the 4. Ended up killing the other two between unconsciousness. You probably wouldn't be able to tell anything had happened to him if you saw him today.

I think that if you're aware of the fact that unless you're physically incapacitated (hit to CNS or blood/BP loss) there's no reason you can't fight on, and are determined to do so, that goes a long way.

Most people wouldn't fall over if you nailed them with a baseball as they were running. Most people would fall over if you shot them as they were running. The force is roughly the same. People are psychologically conditioned to fall down when they get shot because that's what's expected... that's what you see in movies and stuff and you have the "holy $#(% I've been shot" factor.

The Law
Glotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:29   #11
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

12GA rock salt when I was 12... shouldn't have been stealing the watermelon from Mr. Coleman's crop.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:29   #12
CAcop

I took a frag in the arm during training. Still there. It felt like a rock hitting my arm.

I know one person who was shot in the chest in the DMZ in Korea and one guy at work hit in the chest. Both were never the same because of ribs and a lung not healing right.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:56   #13
1-2man
Part Time

Shot at, but never shot, from across a park with a full auto Tech 9 (at least that's what the cops said it was.) My buddy's camaro wasn't so lucky.
1-2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:56   #14
bmoore

Just peppered during dove season by idiots shooting at low flying birds. I was in a lady's house once when she capped herself in the head, you can have that whole shots fired thing.

Last edited by bmoore; 09-28-2012 at 10:56..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05   #15
fusegsp

I had a small piece of a 9mm jacket ricochet off of a spinner target and stick to my abdomen. I think the target hadn't been used for awhile and was rusted in place or gummed up in some way. Just a speck of blood. It probably wouldn't of even stuck to me if I'd been wearing a shirt. I guess I should've kept this gem of a story in my pocket until a "Ever caught A Very Small Ricochet?" thread came up.

Last edited by fusegsp; 09-28-2012 at 17:10..
fusegsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:07   #16
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Yes.

.22, from over my shoulder by psycho later sent to mental hospital.

Hit my leg, flesh wound, skated over bone and exited. Did not notice till I got to house, bled a bit, ambulance ride, no pain really. Keflex (antibiotics) and bandage. That's it. Almost doesn't count.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:13   #17
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

2 rounds, interceptor vest caught em both, and wasn't like the movies where its like oh crap and keep going. I thought I was dying.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:18   #18
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_19guy1983 View Post
.22 to the calf when I was 12 years old. I watched a few too many westerns. Never felt it till the blood started running down my leg. I walked a half mile home. Doctor said i was lucky because the bullet passed 1/4 inch from an artery. It took till my sophmore year in high school to live down the nickname "quick draw".
You only thought the nickname was retired.

Quick Draw. That is awesome!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:36   #19
wjv

Had an AMT .22 Magnum blow up in my hand. Hand needed surgery. Not much pain for the first hour. . . Then it hurt like a son of a . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:42   #20
glockrod
NRA-Endow. Life

I believe Lone Wolfe

could offer more knowledge than you could ever care to know, but I think you better read about it in a search as I dont think she likes rehashing that moment too much.

Could you blame her.

Rod
Old 09-28-2012, 11:49   #21
On the Beach

Twice.

1st time a fool jumped out of a bush and shot me with a shotgun. Was not using slugs or buck. Nothing went thru my clothes. got a few scratches on my face. Buddy behind me wasted the fool.

2nd time took either a 308 or a 762x39 to right calf. It was thankfully a riccochet. Knocked my leg out underneath me. Didn't break skin, but left a hugh bruise and limped badly for several days. Saw shiny object in grass. Picked it up and burned my fingers. Was what was left of bullet. All brass gone, just the steel inner core. Had it drilled for chain. Kept it for many years until my future ex somehow threw it away by mistake ??? with all the rest of my Marine mementos.
4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:57   #22
Batesmotel

5.56 round hit a rock next to my shin. Took a bunch of fragments. Sting bad but what surprised me was the heat.
Old 09-28-2012, 14:11   #23
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
2 rounds, interceptor vest caught em both, and wasn't like the movies where its like oh crap and keep going. I thought I was dying.
Heard a team mate get nailed in the chest... armor stopped the round but didn't matter, he was still bruised and it knock the crap out of him. He went down and I though his armor had been compromised so I am shoving my hand underneath feeling for blood... all I did was make the pain worse.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 14:23   #24
Glockaround the Clock

Hit by a richochet once. Had a partner shot - but that was off duty , his wife shot him.
Glockaround the Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 14:32   #25
Skeet732
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4516 View Post
Kept it for many years until my future ex somehow threw it away by mistake ??? with all the rest of my Marine mementos.
Did you kill her quickly or draw it out for days>
Skeet732 is offline   Reply With Quote