GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:44   #1
oldnoob

Have anyone ever convert your 80 series safety to 70?

Hi all, just picking your experience on 1911s. Have you done the conversion to your 1911s? Did you DIY or sent out to a smith? Which model do you have? Did you use a shim/spacer once you take out the actuating Levers?

And off course, how you like your piece after the conversion?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
My mini forum.
oldnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:53   #2
Rustin

I can't see it being a safe or responsible decision. If you want a 70's style safety, get a 70's series gun.
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 13:09   #3
45caldan

I've done it several times.
You do want to get the shim. I got mine from Brownell's for about $4.00.
Other than the shim, change out the firing pin spring with a wolff extra power one to be on the safe side.
It did indeed give me a lighter trigger but I also go with a lighter Mainspring (19lbs) as well to help trigger pull.
Old 09-22-2012, 13:18   #4
oldnoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45caldan View Post
I've done it several times.
You do want to get the shim. I got mine from Brownell's for about $4.00.
Other than the shim, change out the firing pin spring with a wolff extra power one to be on the safe side.
It did indeed give me a lighter trigger but I also go with a lighter Mainspring (19lbs) as well to help trigger pull.
Cool. Which models have you done for. And how "drop in" were there?

My mini forum.
oldnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 13:47   #5
45caldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnoob View Post
Cool. Which models have you done for. And how "drop in" were there?
Series 80 Government and Commander.
100% drop in. All I did was polish the shim.

Last edited by 45caldan; 09-22-2012 at 13:47..
45caldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 18:36   #6
glock_19guy1983

I did an xse commander one time. If you can detail stip your colt, you can do the job yourself. The difference in trigger pull was negligible at best. YMMV
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
glock_19guy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 18:44   #7
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustin View Post
I can't see it being a safe or responsible decision. If you want a 70's style safety, get a 70's series gun.
So, are you saying that those who have the series 70 guns are unsafe or irresponsible? A qualified smith, or anyone mechanically inclined, can, and does it, and the gun will work fine, like the series 70.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 19:35   #8
Jim S.

I did an officer's model simply because detail stripping it and putting it back together was a pain in the butt.
As far as the trigger was concerned I really didn't think it made enough difference to keep it that way.
I used the shim from Brownells.
I put it back to stock when a friend of mine wanted to buy it from me.
He shot it a lot better than I did so I sold it to him.
Old 09-22-2012, 19:39   #9
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12131 View Post
So, are you saying that those who have the series 70 guns are unsafe or irresponsible? A qualified smith, or anyone mechanically inclined, can, and does it, and the gun will work fine, like the series 70.
There is nothing unsafe about a series 70 1911. I feel better with a EP firing pin spring but from the tests I've seen, for the gun to go off from being dropped on the muzzle, it would have to be dropped from a height much higher than most of us will be encountering on a regular basis.
Old 09-22-2012, 19:53   #10
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
There is nothing unsafe about a series 70 1911. I feel better with a EP firing pin spring but from the tests I've seen, for the gun to go off from being dropped on the muzzle, it would have to be dropped from a height much higher than most of us will be encountering on a regular basis.
I know, but that poster made it sound like converting a series 80 to a 70 gun is an irresponsible thing to do.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 20:05   #11
ak103k

I dont think the 70's are unsafe, but the 80's are just that much more due to the firing pin safety. I carried a 70 for a number of years, but switched over to an 80 when they first showed up, and carried one of those the remainder of the time I carried a 1911. The three Colt Commanders I kept when I got out of 1911's are all series 80's.

I once dropped a freshly loaded 70 series that hadnt yet had the thumb safety set. The gun didnt go off, but it made enough of an impression on me that I didnt forget. If that gun had one of the lighter triggers that many carry them with, there very well might have been a different result. The 80's series eliminates that worry.

As far as triggers go, all of my 80's triggers were just as good as my 70's triggers. I never noticed any difference between them.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 20:09   #12
ak103k

Quote:
I know, but that poster made it sound like converting a series 80 to a 70 gun is an irresponsible thing to do.
I think the only thing bad to come of it might be in court if you had to defend why you removed a safety from the gun.

If you want a series 70, then why not just buy one?

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 09-22-2012, 20:41   #13
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak103k View Post
I think the only thing bad to come of it might be in court if you had to defend why you removed a safety from the gun.

If you want a series 70, then why not just buy one?
I always wondered how the average police department would even know that it had been changed. Most cops I know aren't gun guys and why would they think to look?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-22-2012, 20:54   #14
ak103k

Quote:
I always wondered how the average police department would even know that it had been changed. Most cops I know aren't gun guys and why would they think to look?
When you get to court, its not the cops youre going to be dealing with.

Depending on the circumstances, they may, or may not even bother. If there is any cause for them to believe that you were negligent, they may very well look closely at the gun.

I think it would become even more of an issue in a civil case. The burdens are less in civil court, and a good lawyer will have the gun thoroughly examined, especially if it comes out that you are a "gun guy".

I carry "clean", box stock handguns for just this reason. Why give them even the slightest ammo to use against you? Your tricked out shooter might turn something simple into something not.

Zeitgeist - Addendum

Last edited by ak103k; 09-22-2012 at 20:57..
Old 09-22-2012, 22:39   #15
Kimura

Quote:
Just my opinion, but I really don't think it will matter. In an SD case, what the defendant has to prove is that he was in sufficient fear of his life to cause him to shoot the other party. Second, he'll have to prove he didn't initiate or escalate the confrontation, because SD is out if he did. The gun used is secondary. Firing pin block is not relevant. Now if you drop the gun, it goes off and you accidentally kill someone, you might have problem because you removed a safety feature.
Kimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 23:39   #16
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
We send guns to labs to test them after shootings. They have experts examine the guns. They would notice missing parts. Maybe if you live in BFE it will be the local Barney Fife.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 23:46   #17
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
When you get to court, its not the cops youre going to be dealing with.

Depending on the circumstances, they may, or may not even bother. If there is any cause for them to believe that you were negligent, they may very well look closely at the gun.

I think it would become even more of an issue in a civil case. The burdens are less in civil court, and a good lawyer will have the gun thoroughly examined, especially if it comes out that you are a "gun guy".

I carry "clean", box stock handguns for just this reason. Why give them even the slightest ammo to use against you? Your tricked out shooter might turn something simple into something not.
More of the "when you go to court" crap. People who are that afraid should just do the safest thing and not own a gun.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:39   #18
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnoob View Post
Hi all, just picking your experience on 1911s. Have you done the conversion to your 1911s? Did you DIY or sent out to a smith? Which model do you have? Did you use a shim/spacer once you take out the actuating Levers?

And off course, how you like your piece after the conversion?
Ok,....back to the topic at hand!

I have two series 80 1911s. A Colt Commander & a Delta Elite.
The Commander has all the factory safety parts in place.

The Delta Elite was bought with all Ed Brown series 70 internals.
Does have the shim as well. The Commander has be tweaked by
Chuck Rogers of Rogers Precision. Trigger is as sweet & crisp as
any Series 70 I've ever shot. The Delta has a very sweet trigger
as well, but not quite as good as the Rogers Commander.

So, in short, a properly prepped Series 80 trigger system can be
as good, or better, than a quality Series 70 trigger.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:49   #19
ak103k

Quote:
More of the "when you go to court" crap. People who are that afraid should just do the safest thing and not own a gun.
I love internet tough guys. They always have all the cool Fonzie answers.

Carry what you want, you have to deal with your decisions. If modifying your gun with questionable and/or unnecessary modifications makes you feel better, have at it. Its your stuff, do what you want.

All Im saying is, why put yourself at additional, unnecessary risk in the aftermath, should you happen to prevail. A stock gun is just a easy to carry and shoot, and is a lot easier to defend in court if you do need to use it and they decide to drag you through the process. You just wont look as cool to your buddies since youre not wearing your "Kill them all, let Todd sort them out" tee shirt, bloused, jungle ute trousers, and carrying your K Bar and tricked out shooter with the 2# trigger, modified safeties, and Punisher decal all over it. Yea, boy, the prosecutor and/or opposing attorney are just going to love you....... long time.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 09-23-2012, 05:53   #20
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
Just my opinion, but I really don't think it will matter. In an SD case, what the defendant has to prove is that he was in sufficient fear of his life to cause him to shoot the other party. Second, he'll have to prove he didn't initiate or escalate the confrontation, because SD is out if he did. The gun used is secondary. Firing pin block is not relevant. Now if you drop the gun, it goes off and you accidentally kill someone, you might have problem because you removed a safety feature.
Yep, it's pretty simple - that Zimmerman case in Florida is a good example. If that guy had removed a safety feature from his gun, I'm sure nobody would notice or care.

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

As for removing the series 80 drop safety - why? If you are building a competition gun, removing safety features isn't allowed in some sports and isn't necessary for anything but bullseye competition. If it's not a competition gun, there is no reason at all to do it. You might as well start tightening slide rails and bushings and the other BS bullseye gun modifications that the magazine writers claim to do to every 1911.

Last edited by Bren; 09-24-2012 at 06:10..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote