SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2012, 22:44   #201
podwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by taters View Post
Can't understand why people buy Rolex ,etc. these watches keep lousy time. If I was gonna buy a high end watch I would buy a replica with quartz works. You can't tell the difference and it keeps near perfect time
For me, there's just something about the tiny, complicated machine that is an automatic watch. It's an incredible masterpiece of mechanical engineering that I can wear on my wrist. While a quartz is interesting from a technical standpoint and may well keep better time, it just doesn't have the same allure to me. You may well not agree, but that's fine. It's just how I feel about it, that's all.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 23:10   #202
railfancwb

Best of the breed from the clearance section at Walmart...
Old 09-30-2012, 03:10   #203
Schaffer

i always have my mobile device on me. I break watches and won't spend anymore than 20 bucks on one.

I have 3 watches. One is a cheap walmart special. The other two were given to me by each of my grandfathers. One is a pocket watch that my grandfather on my dad's side had given to him by his grandfather.

The other was given to me by my other grandfather, who received it after being in the local brick layers union for 25 years. Letting me wear it under the condition that i gave it back to him at some point. I never got the chance to give it back.

Both will be passed on to future generations of my family simply for sentimental value.

Last edited by Schaffer; 09-30-2012 at 03:21..
Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:30   #204
AirCav
CLM Number 284
Out Front!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
AirCav, you have bueno taste. Love that set. The Planet Ocean got my watch bug back in gear and the Sinn is a beautifully crafted line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 LMB Z06 View Post
Nice! I've been trying to decide whether I want that watch (but non-UTC with rubber strap) for a while now - can't make up my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntmedik View Post
Out of all the outstanding watches in this thread, this is one I've wanted for a while now.

Nice watch.
Thanks, gentlemen! I love the Sinn and rarely take it off. I feel a little guilty leaving the Omegas idle but the 856 just works so well. Seems nearly indestructible and is just a very practical and easy to wear watch.
AirCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:48   #205
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
Well, I wasn't going to post on this thread, but you've inspired me. You don't get it? Why we'll spend money on an awesome gun, but not a fancy watch? Well listen up:

1. I have no need for a watch. Clocks are all around me everywhere I go. They're on my computer (I can see the time right now, for example). They're in the halls where I work. They're in meeting rooms on the wall. Etc, etc. They're on my cell phone, there is a clock in my car. Worst case scenerio, I ask somebody nearby, they pull out their phone, and tell me. Basically, there is no need to own a watch. Whereas with guns, there often is a VERY REAL need.

2. A cheap watch works just as well as an expensive one. They both tell you the time of day. I can buy a cheap watch for ten bucks. Sure, it might break in a couple years. Buy a new one. You can't say the same thing for guns. Cheap ones are less accurate, and far more likely to malfunction.

3. In today's modern society, I don't want to be constantly reminded of what time it is. I've got enough stress in my life without having the time staring at me from my own arm. If I want to know what time it is, I'll find out (as mentioned in #1, I can look at a computer, or a clock, or ask someone). I think that not worrying so much about time can actually lower your stress, which contributes to quality of life and may even extend your life. Win win. If I need to be somewhere at a certain time, I plan for it, and keep track of time. Easy to do.

4. For special functions, they can be useful. I do have a watch with GPS for running. It set me back a hundred bucks. But it is a great tool for my workouts. I also wear it while I'm coaching soccer games.

5. Based on 1-4 above, a logical observer can see that while some things like guns, cars, etc, serve very practical purposes, and buying a good one will give very different results than buying a cheap one (compare my volvo xc wagon to your Ford Fiesta for example), shelling out a bunch of money on a fancy watch serves no real purpose. A five or ten dollar watch will tell you exactly the same time as your five thousand dollar watch. Expensive watches are simply jewelry.

I'm not condemning or complaining about people who buy expensive jewelry, but you need to own up to what it is. It is a luxury item that has very little useful purpose. Some people like those. Fine. Maybe you can impress your friends. Impress the ladies. But that is all it is, just a way to show off to people.

Enjoy.
Philistine.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:59   #206
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

1977 Benrus Type II Class A military dive watch
Old 09-30-2012, 06:54   #207
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorpinki View Post
Your original post on which I commented was in relation to a comment about the Rolex brand name being an eye catcher, and particularly to criminal elements. You said it wasn't; that people are just oblivious of things like watches. I posted, being a non-criminal element, saying that for many of us, the mere fact that we don't comment isn't that we're not observant. It's not that we're unaware. Rather, some of us are aware, and we choose not to say anything out of a sense of common courtesy. For example, you don't just go up to every good looking girl you see and say to her that she's beautiful, do you?

Now, if you were walking, hypothetically, and some vagrant passed by, he might not have that instinctive courtesy... 'cause he's a part of the criminal element. Suddenly that watch you don't think anyone pays attention to might have made you a target.

Not always the case, of course... and situational awareness clearly would help stop crime from taking place, or at least successfully (on the part of the bad guy) taking place.

That's where the whole bit about people judging you comes in: some people judge by a first glance. Others take a more examining look at your possessions. Some people look at the way you stand, how you talk. And some people try to drink the whole picture of you in... and in the end, they judge you based on the image you project... and Rolex projects an image of wealth, because that's what it's associated with.
Blah, Blah, Blah . . . more mumbo-Jumbo "BS". Muddy up the issue much? You still didn't answer this simple question. Of all the people you came in contact with yesterday, how many of their watches did you even notice? You refuse to answer because you'd have to say NONE! My original point which seems oblivious to you, was that MOST people don't notice what watch other people are wearing. Not all, but Most. You made a rediculiously, wild over statement incintating that most people notice, but don't comment out of common courtesy, and now you're stuck with it. Trying to muddy things up with the "BS" in your last two posts won't help.
Yes some people - and I classify that as a very low number including the criminal element you so adamently persist in citing - though how they could be considered courteous, I can't perceive, might do as you say. But, the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of honest, everyday society go through their daily lives never noticing the watches that others are wearing. However, you'll never accept that simple truth, will you? No need to answer as now you've gone and bored me, so to you I say I'm off to enjoy my Sunday.

There are three types of people in the world; those that can count and those that can't.
2-8 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:10   #208
roberev

I collect and wear two brands primarily: Ball and Doxa.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Rob

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
roberev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:17   #209
roberev

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCav View Post
current go-to favorite

The Okie Corral
I love the Sinn!

I've managed to hold on to this one:

The Okie Corral

Rob

Old 09-30-2012, 07:18   #210
Shagrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Oh, you didn't. I'm chuckling behind the keyboard.

The funny thing is that Rolex isn't even a high end watch. Its sort of the entry point for an in house automatic swiss movement.
For me, I now wear my Seiko Kinetic Diver on a daily basis, while my Ulysse Nardin 1846 chronometer spends its days on a winder. At 11 years old it still runs at -2 seconds a day which is pretty accurate for a mechanical watch.

Rolex (I have owned six in my long life) is an entry level "high end" watch. They are mass produced; they do not take a year to build, but in saying that, they are rugged and and when adjusted properly, can be very accurate watches. One reason for Rolex's popularity can be attributed to their huge advertising budget.

Unfortunately, apart from those that appreciate quality wristwatches, many buy a Rolex so that they can demonstrate their (perceived) success. "I paid $25K for this baby" was the worst I ever heard one blowhard say. In the high end watch world that's chump change. Try two or three hundred thousand for a Patek Philippe complication, and then you're into some "high end" credibility.
Shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:35   #211
Roger1079

Quote:
Can't understand why people buy Rolex ,etc. these watches keep lousy time. If I was gonna buy a high end watch I would buy a replica with quartz works. You can't tell the difference and it keeps near perfect time
99.9% of the replica watches for any luxury brand are junk built with quility standards far below any genuine watch, be it a $10 Casio or a $150,000 Patek Philippe. In case you have never heard of the brand I just mentioned, they are a watchmaker based out of Geneva Switzerland that has been in the business since 1839. Their watches start around $16,000 and go all the way to the $400,000 mark and beyond. This is an example of what certifedfunds was talking about when he made mention of chuckling because Rolex is really an entry level luxury watch.

If you have ever handled a real Rolex, most fakes are easy to spot unless you are willing to spend $600+ in most cases. Anything less than that and you are getting something made from parts that are cheap Chinese garbage. Being that it is also an illegal industry, quality control and warranty are virtually nonexistant so you are on your own after the sale and this is all assuming that US customs does not seize the package on the way into the country.

Aside from that, I would never wear a replica simply because I did not buy my watch for recognition from other people. I bought it for my own satisfaction. If it was something outside of my budget, I would not have it. That philosophy goes for my guns, cars, and any other nonessential items that I own.

Plus, if I am going to be mugged, brutally beaten, or murdered for my watch, I would damn sure feel like an idiot if it was for a fake. If any of the above is to transpire, the object that causes it may as well be genuine.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:37   #212
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagrat View Post
For me, I now wear my Seiko Kinetic Diver on a daily basis, while my Ulysse Nardin 1846 chronometer spends its days on a winder. At 11 years old it still runs at -2 seconds a day which is pretty accurate for a mechanical watch.

Rolex (I have owned six in my long life) is an entry level "high end" watch. They are mass produced; they do not take a year to build, but in saying that, they are rugged and and when adjusted properly, can be very accurate watches. One reason for Rolex's popularity can be attributed to their huge advertising budget.

Unfortunately, apart from those that appreciate quality wristwatches, many buy a Rolex so that they can demonstrate their (perceived) success. "I paid $25K for this baby" was the worst I ever heard one blowhard say. In the high end watch world that's chump change. Try two or three hundred thousand for a Patek Philippe complication, and then you're into some "high end" credibility.
You beat me to it as I was typing. The funny thing is you made reference to the same luxury watchmaker that I did. As you can see, my thoughts exactly.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:53   #213
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Everyday wear: Seiko Orange Monster

Hard labor: $20 Citizen knockoff (Field & Stream "Ocean Angler")

Running: Garmin Forerunner 305
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:42   #214
GlockinNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by podwich View Post
For me, there's just something about the tiny, complicated machine that is an automatic watch. It's an incredible masterpiece of mechanical engineering that I can wear on my wrist. While a quartz is interesting from a technical standpoint and may well keep better time, it just doesn't have the same allure to me. You may well not agree, but that's fine. It's just how I feel about it, that's all.
I feel exactly the same way. It's one of the reasons I like pistols too - the way a semi-auto functions in sequence and a wheelgun clicks in perfect timing. It's a concert of mechanical movement, with a powerful outcome, all in your hands.

Cue the adolescent comments...
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:35   #215
Shockem841

I use to wear a fossil,it was nice and lasted....Now i just use my phone.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:35   #216
w30olds

Send a message via AIM to w30olds
Older Luminox
Casio G-Shock

Goodness and Mercy shall follow me all the days of my life. I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
-Psalm 23:6
w30olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:37   #217
sappy13

Ironman triathlon runtrainer when I actually wear a watch

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:06   #218
victormikelima
Tactical-Yogi

A GW9200-1 G-Shock Riseman (great battery life/solar powered + very durable, reliable, and simple wqtch) and I just got the Suunto Quest Runners Pack (the Heart Rate Monitor is the main reason I got this watch, I've heard that it is not durable and easily scratched, so I only wear this when I'm not doing anything rough or when I'm working out/exercising).
1 June 2012 - Present:
victormikelima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:19   #219
rahrah12

I love watch threads on Glocktalk...

Not really in to watches at the moment but when I was younger (early 20s) I thought I was pretty cool with my Kenneth Cole watches...I didn't know.

Last edited by rahrah12; 09-30-2012 at 11:21..
rahrah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:45   #220
Anglin_AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberev View Post
I collect and wear two brands primarily: Ball and Doxa.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Rob

You got a lot of Balls.
Glock 17OD - Glock 21-SA XD45 Tactical-Beretta Neos-Delton AR-15-Benelli Nova-Ruger LCP w/CT-Savage Arms BTV 64-Mosin Nagant(Old Faithful)-Ruger Security Six-Ruger SR9c-Uberti Cattleman-Marlin 336-Tikka T3 Lite-S&W Model 36
Anglin_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:50   #221
VANWALL

Today right now

The Okie Corral
VANWALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52   #222
roberev

;-)

Rob
Old 09-30-2012, 12:25   #223
frizz

Pocket watches rool!

The Okie Corral
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:32   #224
Shagrat

Quote:
Wrong on both points. Clearly, you've never owned a Rolex. No, a mechanical movement with several hundred parts will never be as accurate as quartz, but saying they keep lousy time is just ignorant piffle.

Also, if you can't tell the difference between a replica and the real thing, I've got a coupon for LensCrafters that I'd be happy to send you.
Shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 13:26   #225
VN350X10

Don't wear one, I'm surrounded by people who's time is far less imortant than mine & can ask ANY of them what time it is close to when needed.
Time is a man-made abstract concept with no real value.

That said, here's the skinny:

I work in a metal-fab shop & have been a certified weldor for about 38 yrs. This environment isn't what you would call "timepiece-friendly" by any means. And the idea of any kind of jewelry doesn't fly either, like the gent who does the woodworking.

I have 3 watches:
Patek-Philieppe (sp) that was inherited from my father,not sure what model, but will go to my grandson. It lives in the safety-dep box @ the bank.

Seikeo, for 30 yrs of service with my employer, worn very rarely, but very nice. Engraved w/name & presentation date.

A cheap (12.00) large stopwatch, not sure of brand, from Wal-Mart, with light & neck lanyard. This is used for the 2 most important timekeeping events that I need:
1) Time of legal shooting light for deer & waterfowl hunting
2) Timing of steaks & chops, etc. while using the Weber grill (charcoal, no gas here!)

uncle albert
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Certified Instructor for Rifle & Pistol, Illinois State Rifle Assn. - Life Member, GSSF Life Member,N.R.O.I. level I, IL Glockers #34
G: 19,20(x2),21,22,23(x2),24,27,29,34,35 & 36 (still counting)
USPSA, IDPA,
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote