Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2012, 14:33   #176
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
The only thing I can guess is that I look young (early 30's) and when not at work I am normally in sandals, a tshirt, and jean shorts. Not the attire most people would associate with someone wearing an expensive watch. It is just like when I walked into Cadillac to buy my last car. I was completely ignored for about 20 minutes before I finally approached a salesman for assistance. I can only attribute it to the fact that I was dressed as I mentioned above when I walked in the door.
I'm 41 now but for the last 10 years you're describing me in terms of age and daily dress.

Put it this way, I had black crocs for formal occasions..
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 14:36   #177
Bruce M

Attachment 228008
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 12-25-2012 at 13:49..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 14:44   #178
Fed Five Oh
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
It doesn't.
Didn't mean to upset you.
Fed Five Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 14:44   #179
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Five Oh View Post
I didn't say all Invicta's are more accurate than all Rolex's.

The question was if my cheap piece of junk Invicta keeps better time than a Rolex, doesn't that make the Rolex a terribly expensive piece of junk?

My buddy has a submariner. My invicta Pro Diver keeps better time. Pisses him off to no end. Add to that his wife thinks the pro diver looks better than his submariner because the center links in the bracelet are polished and he really gets steamed.

BTW, my every day wear pro diver has the Miyota movement.

I can't remember which ETA movement is in my Swiss Invicta.

I'm not a Rolex basher. When both daughters get out of college, I will finally purchase a submariner. I like them, but since I don't have the spare change at this point in time, I gotta go with what works reliably, looks good, and is affordable.

I just get tired of the same garbage that is posted by a certain individual when Invicta is mentioned.
I hear ya. Invicta does make some quality watches and nobody can argue that their prices are great. My complaint with them and the reason I do not own one for my every day watch is the lack of creativity with many of their models. Many of their designs are extremely similar to watches made by other established manufacturers and I doubt this is a coincidence in any way shape or form. The pro diver is only one example of this.

It seems like they are riding the coat tails of the popularity of the more expensive manufacturers by designing their watches the way they do. I am certain that there are many people out there that bought the pro diver simply because it looks very similar to the submariner. That to me is a questionable business practice hence why they have never gotten any of my money. Just a personal choice and in no way a jab.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 14:50   #180
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
I'm 41 now but for the last 10 years you're describing me in terms of age and daily dress.

Put it this way, I had black crocs for formal occasions..
For formal occasions I actually do own a couple Brooks Brothers suits, however wearing them has been limited to weddings and funerals. The next closest I come to casual dress are dress shoes, dress pants, and whatever obnoxious colored Tommy Bahama I happen to grab out of the closet. The rest of my clothes come from JC Penney and Target.

Clothes have just been one of the things that never meant much to me. My taste in expensive items is limited to guns, cars, home electronics, and watches not in any particular order.
Old 09-29-2012, 14:53   #181
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Five Oh View Post
Didn't mean to upset you.
Oh, you didn't. I'm chuckling behind the keyboard.

The funny thing is that Rolex isn't even a high end watch. Its sort of the entry point for an in house automatic swiss movement.
Old 09-29-2012, 15:27   #182
Ftttu

My daily watch is a Casio Sport PAW1100 Pathfinder. If I go to a movie or to dinner, I wear my Tag Heuer Formula 1. If I'm forced to wear a suit, I wear my Longines Grand Prize.
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 15:47   #183
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Very nice. Tudor has some extremely nice watches.
Old 09-29-2012, 15:52   #184
ColdSteelNail

Suunto Core, when I wear one.
ColdSteelNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 15:56   #185
757CC

Over the past few years I have taken a liking to nice watches....just a few of my everyday watches are: 1968 Rolex DateJust, Sunnto X-Lander Military, Seiko Orange monster, a variety of Citizen dive watches. Next watch on the list is a Rolex Submariner...hopefully I will be picking it up in the next couple months!
757CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 16:43   #186
edhillseo

I love gadget watches. I have a Tissot dress watch, but my favorite is the Suunto Vector with the altimeter, barometer & compass. This is mainly for running, biking and hiking.
The Okie Corral
Attached Thumbnails
The Okie Corral - Click for larger version  
edhillseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 16:48   #187
nostalgiaguy

At the risk of being to political I will say.... Maybe we can return to wearing a watch , when we all have jobs to go to again and need one to see what ti,e to be to work.

seriously.. I gave up wearing the things when my cell phone started tell me where Mickeys hand is. Yet I still have a safe full of them. My stainless datejust rolex and Le coultre gold dress watch are my favorites. Once in a blue moon I break them out and will where one to dinner. But most the time the pocket phone keeps me posted on where the sun is.
nostalgiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 16:56   #188
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

some day ill get a well fit watch and see if i can get used to having something on my wrist
Old 09-29-2012, 16:59   #189
Haldor
Retired EE

Seiko 5 Military.

The Okie Corral

Autowinder, 21 jewel mechanical. Has a slim (for an autowinder) and compact head with a durable crystal face (Hardlex) and a stainless steel body. Mine has been in hard daily use for over a year without any scratches showing up on the glass. The watch is very rugged too. I have dropped mine from waist high onto a hard floor, several times without any problems.

Understated, retro military (WWII) styling that I find very appealing. Inexpensive to boot (< $80). I have been very happy with mine. The band is comfortable and is holding up great. It has sufficient friction that the watch stays in position during daily wear even with a relatively loose band.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.

Last edited by Haldor; 09-29-2012 at 17:01..
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 19:33   #190
mr00jimbo

I have a Longines Hydroconquest. It's so heavy that if somebody tries to rob me for it, I could club them to death with it.
Old 09-29-2012, 20:27   #191
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
Seiko 5 Military.

The Okie Corral

Autowinder, 21 jewel mechanical. Has a slim (for an autowinder) and compact head with a durable crystal face (Hardlex) and a stainless steel body. Mine has been in hard daily use for over a year without any scratches showing up on the glass. The watch is very rugged too. I have dropped mine from waist high onto a hard floor, several times without any problems.

Understated, retro military (WWII) styling that I find very appealing. Inexpensive to boot (< $80). I have been very happy with mine. The band is comfortable and is holding up great. It has sufficient friction that the watch stays in position during daily wear even with a relatively loose band.
That's nice. I like that.
Old 09-29-2012, 20:40   #192
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
Seiko divers watch, bought 1990. Keeps perfect time. Excellent. Also a Sekio Chronograph purchased in 2010. Again... simply excellent watch.
I wear a Bulova or a Seiko normally. Watches are for telling time.. You have a good watch there.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 20:49   #193
*ASH*

if you have to ask you dont get it . simple as that .

same as guns or cars , or anything . its all relative
Old 09-29-2012, 21:14   #194
ROGER4314

Regarding the Rolex: Early this year a friend was murdered over a watch. Two thugs beat him to death to get his watch.

Since I retired, I quit wearing any kind of wrist watch.

Flash

Loving the Harley idle....potato, potato, potato.

Last edited by ROGER4314; 09-29-2012 at 21:21..
ROGER4314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 21:26   #195
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-8 Marine View Post
None of this last paragraph has anything to do with my original post that we've been discussing. Just more "BS".
Your original post on which I commented was in relation to a comment about the Rolex brand name being an eye catcher, and particularly to criminal elements. You said it wasn't; that people are just oblivious of things like watches. I posted, being a non-criminal element, saying that for many of us, the mere fact that we don't comment isn't that we're not observant. It's not that we're unaware. Rather, some of us are aware, and we choose not to say anything out of a sense of common courtesy. For example, you don't just go up to every good looking girl you see and say to her that she's beautiful, do you?

Now, if you were walking, hypothetically, and some vagrant passed by, he might not have that instinctive courtesy... 'cause he's a part of the criminal element. Suddenly that watch you don't think anyone pays attention to might have made you a target.

Not always the case, of course... and situational awareness clearly would help stop crime from taking place, or at least successfully (on the part of the bad guy) taking place.

That's where the whole bit about people judging you comes in: some people judge by a first glance. Others take a more examining look at your possessions. Some people look at the way you stand, how you talk. And some people try to drink the whole picture of you in... and in the end, they judge you based on the image you project... and Rolex projects an image of wealth, because that's what it's associated with.
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 21:46   #196
JEEPX

Seiko Ventura Diver Chronograph

Sent from Droid Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 2
JEEPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 22:00   #197
taters

I have a Bulova. Quartz. $75. I pay $75 because you get a face that is very hard to scratch. I get a scratch on the face and it's history.
Can't understand why people buy Rolex ,etc. these watches keep lousy time. If I was gonna buy a high end watch I would buy a replica with quartz works. You can't tell the difference and it keeps near perfect time
Old 09-29-2012, 22:06   #198
Original 454

Luminox S3400, the F117 Stealth model, bought way back when Luminox craze hit the GT and everybody was buying Luminox SEAL watch. Still have it, on the third wrist band and second battery. Has gone up the Alaska range with me, swam in Pacific, went thru a commercial dishwasher (after a dunk in grease trap) and is still my knock-around watch. Countless 454 Casull range sessions did not hurt it a bit. After many years still has bright tritium markers.

For work/dress: Luminox Traveler 2000 Series, 3-time zones (including 2 24-hour zones) watch, discontinued by Luminox. Do not use the third time zone nearly as much, after moving to Lower 48.

Named my black cat after Luminox. Won't buy another watch brand.
454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 22:08   #199
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Love the have-nots trying to make themselves feel better at the have's expense.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 22:16   #200
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Suunto, but its been out of commission for awhile needing a wristband replacement.

Lately a last gen ipod nano on a cheesy wristband meant for it, mostly because I use the radio on it to keep my sanity at work. Too dorky otherwise.

I have some nice Australian sapphire watches I brought back from Oz back in 99, don't get worn much.

Want to get an Omega speedmaster and a Breitling eventually.

Last edited by G29Reload; 09-29-2012 at 22:28..
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote