SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 17:01   #376
RyanSBHF

Omega Seamaster 2254.50
Seiko SKX779
Seiko SKX009 (w/ Yobokies solid end link bracelet)
Seiko SSC017
Citizen Nighthawk PVD

A Monarch leads a Monarchy.

Hillary Clinton leads a Country.
RyanSBHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 17:17   #377
devildog2067

Yobokies is the man!
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 17:30   #378
rugershooter

As another forum puts it, I am a bit of a WIS (watch idiot savant). I don't know why, but watches have always fascinated me.

My usual day to day watch is a TAG Heuer Series 2000 "diver" that I bought way back in the early 90s with money made mowing lawns in the summer. I loved it then and I still do.

I also wear a Seiko Pilot slide rule chrono from time to time. And of course the G-Shock has a place. I have a Tudor Submariner but for some reason I like it much more when it isn't on my wrist. There's a couple other Seikos and a Citizen automatic that I own but never wear as well.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go with a Rolex at some point, just because it is wrong to love watches as much as I do and not own one. But it seems ridiculous how expensive they've become... and you can't buy the one I REALLY want new anymore. (The original GMT with Pepsi bezel... I watched too much Magnum PI.) I'm torn between a GMTII, the Submariner, and an Air King. We'll see, not like I plan on running out of time to get one soon.
rugershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:44   #379
epilepticninja

I figure if you have a high-end watch, you better have a high-end car, high-end house, etc. to go with the watch. I wear a Sunnto.

Last edited by epilepticninja; 10-03-2012 at 18:48..
epilepticninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 19:43   #380
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
I figure if you have a high-end watch, you better have a high-end car, high-end house, etc. to go with the watch. I wear a Sunnto.
What does the watch have to do with high end house or high end car?

I don't like car and I don't like big houses. Why would I buy these things just to go with my watches?
Old 10-03-2012, 19:47   #381
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugershooter View Post
an Air King.
Check out the new Skydweller that replaces the Air King.

Quote:
We'll see, not like I plan on running out of time to get one soon.
No puns intended?

Anyway, Rolexes cost more because they ain't your grandpa's Rolexes any more. Improvements cost money, so is inflation.

Also, I'd like to see what the true dollar value is of the old Rolexes (bought brand new way back when) versus today's Rolexes. I heard tales of Submariners going for $300 back in the mid-1960s. That's more money than a US Army commissioned officer's monthly salary.

Last edited by fnfalman; 10-03-2012 at 19:47..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 19:48   #382
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Don't see a lot of the Doxa dress watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahrguy View Post
The Okie Corral
Old 10-03-2012, 19:48   #383
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Why?

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 19:52   #384
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Is there some law I don't know about against having a decent house, decent car, and love for nice watches?
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 20:20   #385
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Is there some law I don't know about against having a decent house, decent car, and love for nice watches?
It's an unwritten law for the libtard Obama lovers. They hate the well-to-do and down right despise the rich.
Old 10-03-2012, 20:26   #386
epilepticninja

If I see you wearing a watch more expensive than the car you drive, and living in a rundown apartment, it makes me wonder what type of message you are trying to send. Most of the people I know that do wear expensive watches, have the wealth to go along with it.
Old 10-03-2012, 20:27   #387
epilepticninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Never said there was. Don't misquote my post, kthx.
Old 10-03-2012, 20:30   #388
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
If I see you wearing a watch more expensive than the car you drive, and living in a rundown apartment, it makes me wonder what type of message you are trying to send. Most of the people I know that do wear expensive watches, have the wealth to go along with it.
I have a watch or two that it is not common to see a car that costs more than....and sometimes I drive a real cheap car, sometimes I dont....hell, chances are you wouldnt even know anything about the watch.

...and if you see me in line for a coffee or whatever, you dont have any idea where I live.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 20:34   #389
podwich

Quote:
Never said there was. Don't misquote my post, kthx.
A person spends his money on things he enjoys. If he chooses to spend the money he's earned on a watch instead of a car or housing, what is it to me? It's his hard-earned money.

Now if you're talking about someone getting welfare/public assistance/money from the government, I can see the point of him spending his money better so that he's not leeching of the rest of us.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 20:39   #390
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

If you have a high end handgun, you better have a high end car and house to go along with that.

....see how silly that sounds?
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 21:34   #391
zackwatt
Lifetime Membership
SCCC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
What does the watch have to do with high end house or high end car?

I don't like car and I don't like big houses. Why would I buy these things just to go with my watches?
Exactly, you don't have to like those things as well...

Remember: "Heavy is Good, Heavy is Reliable. Plus, If It Doesn't Work You Can Always Hit Them with It."
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 21:53   #392
wrczx3
Jerry

My new Skagen. I like it because it is very light and thin. I also love the color of the titanium.

The Okie Corral
wrczx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 21:54   #393
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrczx3 View Post
My new Skagen. I like it because it is very light and thin. I also love the color of the titanium.

The Okie Corral
Very cool
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:58   #394
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Check out the new Skydweller that replaces the Air King.

No puns intended?

Anyway, Rolexes cost more because they ain't your grandpa's Rolexes any more. Improvements cost money, so is inflation.

Also, I'd like to see what the true dollar value is of the old Rolexes (bought brand new way back when) versus today's Rolexes. I heard tales of Submariners going for $300 back in the mid-1960s. That's more money than a US Army commissioned officer's monthly salary.
I think it is less about improvements, although they have made many over the years. I think it is more about inflation and the fact that they are Rolex. They know no matter how much the prices inflate, people will still buy them.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:14   #395
Roger1079

Quote:
On my way to work, I drive through some not so well to do neighborhoods to get there every day. It is certainly not uncommon for me to see a $100,000 BMW or Mercedes parked in front of a house worth half that. Those people may misappropriate their money, be into some illegal activities, or have a decent job and just plain not care that they live in a dumpster as long as their car is nice. I don't know and I really don't care. It is none of my business to pass judgment on people that make that choice. Oh yeah, they may wear a nice watch too.

My only gripe would be if those people were receiving my tax money in some form of government provided assistance and spending the money on non necessities like that. That is something I will never know though and something I will never be able to do anything about so I choose not to let it annoy me. That is also a conversation for a totally different thread.

If you want to know about me, as stated earlier, on most days I wear clothes from Target, live in an average house in a decent neighborhood, have a decent job, and drive a luxury car that is 6 years old and up in miles that would be as affordable today as a new middle model mustang or camaro. Middle class if you want to classify me into one of those groups they always talk about. So knowing that about me, do I fall into the category that should be allowed to wear a nice watch by your standards or am I jost one of those people trying to flaunt the wealth I don't have? Just curious for you to elaborate on your opinion.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:34   #396
ARs&AKs
NRA Life Member

The Okie Corral
ARs&AKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:36   #397
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
What about driving a nice car and living in a run down apartment?

What does that have to do with anything? Or you have to be rich to a certain level before you can own a nice thing or two?
Old 10-04-2012, 14:59   #398
31ModelA

Quote:
While I sort of understand where you're coming from I guess its up to the indivdual and their priorities. As long as they're living within their means and providing for their family thats all one can hope for. If they can do better than that in one or more areas great.

I have an Omega Seamaster GMT but drive a 14 year old pickup and live in a 3 bedroom house. I maintain my pickup and my 3 bedroom house well but many people I associate with might find the cost of an omega excessive and frivolous. I'm a pilot and I like nice watches so thats how I justify myself I guess and it doesn't scream $$ or status quite like a rolex. I like the Omega quality and its a little more incognito. (nothing against rolexes, or rolex owners either.) I was rubbed the wrong way slightly when some people went on and on about how many watches they have and how much they paid for each of them. So you have a rolex daytona and a handful of submariners and a patek phillepe. Good for you - but I don't need to know (or care) that you paid 25k, 8K, 12K and 50K for them (as an example). No need to brag or talk about it unless asked. Appreciate them for what they are and leave it at that. Hopefully you're not trying too hard to impress and are living within your means.
31ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 15:40   #399
VANWALL

Watch I'm wearing today

The Okie Corral

Poljot
VANWALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 15:52   #400
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

Quote:
I like nice watches and I have a bicycle that costs more than some new cars (and is worth more than the truck I drive).
What do you figure about that?