Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-26-2012, 23:01   #1
DakotaGlockGuy
Polymer Artist

Ameriglo sights: I-Dot vs. I-Dot Pro...

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at picking up a set of Ameriglo's for my G30SF, which is a combo EDC/Range gun.

I was wondering what the differences were between the I-Dot and I-Dot PRO's in terms of accuracy and/or sight picture. Is it kind of like the XS Big Dot vs. Standard Dot difference, where the smaller dot is more accurate but harder to pick up?

After checking around, it looks like the (standard?) I-Dot's are about $15-$25 cheaper than the Pro's, but I'm wondering if the Pro's are worth the difference?

Finally for those of you that did get the Pro's, did you go Orange or Green???

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DakotaGlockGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 23:30   #2
4Rules

Sight picture and Review for Glock pistols
http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.htm...t=98924&page=1

Best Self Defense weapon night sights?
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1441204
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 23:35   #3
DakotaGlockGuy
Polymer Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post
Sight picture and Review for Glock pistols
http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.htm...t=98924&page=1

Best Self Defense weapon night sights?
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1441204
Thanks, and I've read those... and more.

I'm not looking for a "What's the best night sight for my Glock" post. I'm asking questions on specific differences between those two sights, and hoping to get answers from people who may have tried them both out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-27-2012, 00:25   #4
4Rules

Let’s talk about front posts & rear notches
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?814-Let%E2%80%99s-talk-about-front-posts-amp-rear-notches
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 00:43   #5
DakotaGlockGuy
Polymer Artist

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post
Now THAT is one I haven't seen before. Thanks!

So far GRT45's Post HERE has been a real help, too.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Pro in Orange.

Old 09-27-2012, 21:59   #6
RYT 2BER

I just got the idot pros with the orange outline front on my g20

I think the are a w e s o m e!!

That orange front sight JUMPS off into your face... I'll put them on my g23 shortly as its my other carry.
Old 09-27-2012, 22:29   #7
DakotaGlockGuy
Polymer Artist

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know if you can answer this or not, but in terms of accuracy, are they just accurate DEFENSE level sights, or would you say they are even competition level accurate?

Thanks again!

Old 09-28-2012, 07:09   #8
DannyR

They are as accurate as any sight on the market. If they work for your eyes, you will love them. I consider the AmeriGlo I-dots a vast improvement over Heinie Straight Eights, which also have an excellent reputation in competition.
Bull Dawg #1

DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:35   #9
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
They are as accurate as any sight on the market. If they work for your eyes, you will love them. I consider the AmeriGlo I-dots a vast improvement over Heinie Straight Eights, which also have an excellent reputation in competition.
This!! ^^^^^
Old 09-28-2012, 08:56   #10
DakotaGlockGuy
Polymer Artist

Thanks again!

Awesome guys. Thanks again for the help!

Old 09-30-2012, 15:07   #11
kodiakpb

i-Dots have a thinner front sight post and do not have the "proglo" colored "ring" around the tritium.

The i-Dot pros have the proglo front sight and is a little wider to accommodate the colored "ring".

Rear notch is the same on rear sights (ie they are the same. The only difference is the front sight).

There is still plenty of light using a proglo front sight and i-Dot rear.
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 17:36   #12
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakpb View Post
i-Dots have a thinner front sight post and do not have the "proglo" colored "ring" around the tritium.

The i-Dot pros have the proglo front sight and is a little wider to accommodate the colored "ring".

Rear notch is the same on rear sights (ie they are the same. The only difference is the front sight).

There is still plenty of light using a proglo front sight and i-Dot rear.
I didn't realize the difference since I have the pro model

IMO definitely go for the pro so you get the colored ring... As far as I'm concerned that's the best part of the sights
Old 09-30-2012, 19:12   #13
DakotaGlockGuy
Polymer Artist

Thanks for the input guys. I pulled the trigger on a set of I-Dot Pro's in Orange. They should be here this week.

If any of you have done the install yourself, how bad was it? I have the front sight tool, and a sight pusher is on the way as well.

Old 09-30-2012, 19:43   #14
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Shooter View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I pulled the trigger on a set of I-Dot Pro's in Orange. They should be here this week.

If any of you have done the install yourself, how bad was it? I have the front sight tool, and a sight pusher is on the way as well.
I do all my own glock stuff EXCEPT sights so unfortunately I can't help... But glock sights tend to be easy.. I believe the front can't only go in one way... Locktite then screw down, and if you got a good sight pusher you should be good to go..
Old 10-02-2012, 22:52   #15
DakotaGlockGuy
Polymer Artist

Got them!

Got the sights in and they look great.

Install was a lot of fun, too, now that I have THIS!

I definately like the sight picture better than the Big Dots, and I'm really glad I went with the Orange sight. That thing really jumps out at you without being overly bright.

I'm headed to the range tomorrow night, so I'll report back after that!

Old 10-02-2012, 23:00   #16
DakotaGlockGuy
Polymer Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
Thanks for your input. After seeing them in person, I can see how these are a much better choice for what I'm looking for. Nothing against the Big Dots, but I think these will fit the range part of the equation better WITHOUT sacrificing any carry issues.

Old 10-02-2012, 23:23   #17
sessumrd

I installed the I dot Pro sights on my 21 a few months ago. It is really an easy install, and does not require a pusher. All I did was mount the slide in a vise, with 2 strips of cork taped.to the jaws, so it wouldn't scratch, and tap the rear sight out with a brass drift punch. Then all you do is tap the new one in. You will want to test fir to confirm poa and poi are consistent before putting red locktite on the set screw, but it is a very simple install overall. I know you will appreciate the greatly improved sight picture.
sessumrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:37   #18
DakotaGlockGuy
Polymer Artist

Set screw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sessumrd View Post
I installed the I dot Pro sights on my 21 a few months ago. It is really an easy install, and does not require a pusher. All I did was mount the slide in a vise, with 2 strips of cork taped.to the jaws, so it wouldn't scratch, and tap the rear sight out with a brass drift punch. Then all you do is tap the new one in. You will want to test fir to confirm poa and poi are consistent before putting red locktite on the set screw, but it is a very simple install overall. I know you will appreciate the greatly improved sight picture.
I didn't see a set screw on the back site. The back sight was a very tight fit on my G30SF. I wonder if they may be a different design based on the model?

I'll try it out at the range tonight to fine tune it, then hit it with a little red loctite just for some peace of mind.

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2012, 22:52   #19
DakotaGlockGuy
Polymer Artist

Range Report...

Well I made it to the range tonight in the snow. Yes, you read that correctly. It actually snowed here.

Anyway I wanted to try the new sights out first with a shorter distance of 25 feet. Our indoor range has a max distance of 50-ish feet. I usually use the 25 mark to "warm-up". With the Big Dots, I could drill about a 2" hole in the target at 25 feet, but would be all over the paper at 50 feet. Keep in mind I only shoot once a week, and just picked this G30 up in May of this year.

After my first few shots with the new sights I thought I had made a HUGE mistake with these sights! I knew these Ameriglo's weren't going to point like the Big Dots, so I adjusted my point of aim to right below the target. The result: I STILL shot high by about 4"-5". I was pissed, and thinking of how quickly I could get a set of standard dot sights on my pistol. However since I was already out at the range, I figured I'd try to adjust and see what I could do. I mean how much worse could I get???

So I decided to really go for broke and move out to 50' to see how the sights were for a distance that the Big Dot's didnt' do well at. Thanks to my handy-dandy new sight pusher I was spot on for windage - It was the elevation that was killing me. I adjusted my POA down even more and BINGO, I was back in the black (8/9/10 rings are black on our targets), and getting a decent grouping.

My normal session is 150 rounds, and I usually start to go downhill a little towards the end. However with another change I made this week (installing a Ghost Rocket connector, and swapping out the striker spring from #6 to a 5.5), my arms weren't tired, and I was able to do 200 rounds. The thing that REALLY shocked me was how accurate I was with the last 50 rounds. That's when I got the sights dialed and really only broke the #8 ring on a few rushed shots.

These sights are VERY different from the XS Big Dots formerly installed on my gun, but after giving them a chance, I think they fit the bill pretty well. I remember not being super accurate with the Big Dots right off the bat, either, so this should not come as a surprise. What WAS a surprise was how fast I got acclimated to the new sights and how much better the accuracy was at 50' with them. THAT was the key for me.

I'll keep plugging away at them for now, and hopefully I'll start consitently hitting 2" and 3" groups at 50'.

Thanks again for the input everyone!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:59   #20
Jeffw78

I installed the I-dot pros with the green ring last week. Been to the range twice. So far I like them a lot. I have a lot of trouble with stock sights unless I black out the rear.

I argued with myself a lot before buying these. Couldn't decide on green or orange. Noticed yesterday that my local dealer has a barely used gen 4 21 for a great price. If I can make that happen I may put the orange on it.
Jeffw78 is offline   Reply With Quote