Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:33   #1
ennis

180gr Remington "cup and core"

Has anyone here used the green boxed Remington 180gr MC on game? It has decent velocity and should penetrate well. I don't expect or want expansion, for my purpose. I am curious about how well this "cup and core" built bullet will hold together.

Don't believe everything that you think.
ennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 18:13   #2
Ethereal Killer

I would expect it to perform just like every other FMJ jacketed bullet, which is nothing spectacular and basically about the worst performer terminally, of all bullets.

It'll probably poke a simple hole thru a target and maybe penetrate 20-23" in gel with little other damage, but possible deforming or fragmenting if it hits hard structure.
Ethereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 20:00   #3
ennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Killer View Post
I would expect it to perform just like every other FMJ jacketed bullet, which is nothing spectacular and basically about the worst performer terminally, of all bullets.

It'll probably poke a simple hole thru a target and maybe penetrate 20-23" in gel with little other damage, but possible deforming or fragmenting if it hits hard structure.
I suppose it would depend on the thickness of the jacket and hardness of the lead core. I am looking for ammo that pokes a hole as straight and deep as possible and wont break up when it hits bone. The Belt Mountain, "Punch" bullet is ideal, but they run $3 a pop, and he doesn't make a .40.

Last edited by ennis; 09-21-2012 at 20:01..
Old 09-22-2012, 08:23   #4
Ethereal Killer

a WFN hardcast lead is what you seek.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:28   #5
ennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennis View Post
Has anyone here used the green boxed Remington 180gr MC on game? It has decent velocity and should penetrate well. I don't expect or want expansion, for my purpose. I am curious about how well this "cup and core" built bullet will hold together.
Thanks, but I wanted to avoid the theoretical debate on the benefits of hardcast lead over jacketed bullets. I was hoping to hear from someone with "real world" experience with this particular round.

Old 09-22-2012, 13:45   #6
Ethereal Killer

My sincerest apologies. I have never used that load on game.

I personally feel it would be grossly irresponsible to do so based on my extensive personal studies in terminal ballistics and over a decade of combined professional experience in military ammunition, and selling and designing commercial ammo loads. But I am far from an expert and I certainly dont know everything.

shooting "game" with a pistol is dicey and marginal in the best of cases. Using a poorly constructed target load is just bad form.

Something like a WFN or Wadcutter design with some edges to cut the flesh actually allow bleeding and better tissue damage. Whereas the FMJ/TC loadings crush the flesh and shove it aside leaving a hole less than the size of a bullet with a crushing wound allowing for very little bleeding. In essence using an FMJ is like using a much smaller caliber with respect to the size of hole and damage.

Last edited by Ethereal Killer; 09-22-2012 at 19:44..
Old 09-30-2012, 12:51   #7
ennis

This isn't a recovered bullet from a game animal but... I shot some 200gr doubletap WFNGC and the 180gr Remington MC into a chunk of 8x8 lumber. The 180gr blew a chunk off the back, and was almost completely through it. The bullet 100% intact. The jacket was VERY thick on that bullet. The 200gr Doubletap lodged somewhere inside the wooden block. All I could do to measure was stick a pencil into the entrance hole. Not very precise, I know, but the pencil went in about 4 inches. I'm not going to make any generalizations about these two bullets, based on my primitive backyard science. I will say, that if I didn't care for any expansion, and only wanted to punch through the target, the 180gr Remington MC, impressed me.The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring

Last edited by ennis; 09-30-2012 at 12:59..