GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 18:09   #1
C J
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 86
Federal .357 mag, 158 gr JSP

Does anyone use or have thoughts on using a 158 gr. JSP in .357 mag as a defensive round? Now bear with me here. I understand that a .357 round in any weight is more than likely going to stop someone, but what about over-penatration? I know I could easily buy a JHP round. Isn't it almost the same as some guys carrying a full on wad-cutter? Or is that not the same thing? Thanks for any opinions. Stay safe.
C J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 22:37   #2
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In The State Of Fruitloops (CA)
Posts: 5,415
The 158JSP is an almost 100% guarantee to overpenetrate a human torso with little to no expansion.

Also, WC loads are for target shooting. Solid and jacketed Non-hollow point rounds in service calibers are the worst for SD use with documented overpenetration that has maimed and killed innocent people (including many LEO's). Leave the JSP load for hunting (where penetration is needed) and target shooting/plinking and use modern JHP loads for SD. The 125JHP's in .357 are still the best street proven loads in this caliber.
__________________
"I spent the last two years of high school in a daze....attended classes sparingly, drank beer heavily, and tried drugs enthusiastically."
Barack Obama
One Bad Ass Mistake America
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 23:18   #3
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 30,242


JSP's in pistol rounds typically don't expand at all.
__________________
The West is the Best.
Berto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 23:38   #4
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lyle WA
Posts: 23,274
poppycock

I load 158g JSPs over 15.8g of W296 and they mushroom nicely out of 4" & 6" revolvers.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 00:12   #5
9mm +p+
Senior Member
 
9mm +p+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KS
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
poppycock

I load 158g JSPs over 15.8g of W296 and they mushroom nicely out of 4" & 6" revolvers.
Into what exactly? JSP's are not for use on human beings unless you like the risk of being sued for hitting someone behind your target.
__________________
Si vis pacem parabellum
9mm +p+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 18:17   #6
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
This load is guaranteed to over-penetrate, as others have said. If you need to get through several layers of winter clothing, then maybe this load would be suitable. But the best .357 round out there for ordinary SD scenarios is the 125gr JHP. Its stopping power is legendary.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 18:46   #7
eb07
Sharkin'
 
eb07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Third Rock From the Sun
Posts: 2,794
Use 158gr lswchp.
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 18:52   #8
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
Use 158gr lswchp.
is a good load choice.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 22:05   #9
ULVER
Dixie Rebel
 
ULVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: ATL., GA. USA
Posts: 2,928
Send a message via Yahoo to ULVER


Ed Sanow had one of those stop, after 31 inches of gel, with no expansion.

Best served on wild pigs...
__________________
Last night fear knocked on the door...
Courage answered... There was no one there...
ACCURACY BEATS HORSEPOWER/TACTICS MEAN EVERYTHING
In memory of Off. Steven Trindle
In memory of Det. Dennis C. Stepnowski
ULVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:45   #10
Brucev
Senior Member
 
Brucev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by C J View Post
Does anyone use or have thoughts on using a 158 gr. JSP in .357 mag as a defensive round? Now bear with me here. I understand that a .357 round in any weight is more than likely going to stop someone, but what about over-penatration? I know I could easily buy a JHP round. Isn't it almost the same as some guys carrying a full on wad-cutter? Or is that not the same thing? Thanks for any opinions. Stay safe.
For SD, not hunting or target shooting, etc., the JHP is without parallel for on target effectiveness. In the S&W .357 Magnum the very best most effective definitive load is a 125 gr. JHP. It is the most effective load on the market proven by use in all manner of circumstances. The 158 gr. load, either JHP or JSP, offers nothing more than more penetration. If you anticipate having to engage individuals built like 600 lb. sumo wrestlers, you need to buy a 12 ga. shotgun and load it with buckshot. Any of the common modern SD/HD loads in .357 Magnum will be extremely effective for SD/HD, with the 125 gr. JHP being the best. It is the standard against which everything else is compared.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53   #11
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
For SD, not hunting or target shooting, etc., the JHP is without parallel for on target effectiveness. In the S&W .357 Magnum the very best most effective definitive load is a 125 gr. JHP. It is the most effective load on the market proven by use in all manner of circumstances. The 158 gr. load, either JHP or JSP, offers nothing more than more penetration. If you anticipate having to engage individuals built like 600 lb. sumo wrestlers, you need to buy a 12 ga. shotgun and load it with buckshot. Any of the common modern SD/HD loads in .357 Magnum will be extremely effective for SD/HD, with the 125 gr. JHP being the best. It is the standard against which everything else is compared.
Well said, and I agree.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:14   #12
The Wolverine
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 63
Yes, my thoughts: don't use them for defense.

Hard to beat a 125gr Gold Dot HP for SD/HD.

I use the JSP's for hog and deer hunting.

Last edited by The Wolverine; 09-28-2012 at 10:16..
The Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:22   #13
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolverine View Post
Yes, my thoughts: don't use them for defense.

Hard to beat a 125gr Gold Dot HP for SD/HD.

I use the JSP's for hog and deer hunting.
Hog hunting? That sounds interesting.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 927
282 Members
645 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31