Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-26-2012, 23:21   #21
TheBelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvician View Post
Do you want or need magnification?

1-4x scopes are big/heavy. Do you want that extra weight?

Red Dots......save and get the Aimpoint. The PRO is $400 with mount.
Don't save too much weight by using an AIMPOINT PRO over the burris MTAC 1-4... 12oz vs 17~ish ounces respectively.

A red dot style optic will be easier to catch the dot if you need faster engagements. a scope will have eye-relief, height-over bore, cheekweld things.....

If it were my dime: I'd spend just a LITTLE bit more and get the Aimpoint Micro H-1 w/Daniel Defense Mount from G and R Tactical: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ion&key=APH1DD

The whole thing weighs a whopping quarter pound.

(Disclaimer: I've bought from G and R before and have had an awesome experience, both pre and post sale... but I don't work for them nor do I have any vested interest in them... just a good price for an awesome piece of kit.)

So 'true'. Nothing 'false' with a dog.
Either they love you, or they can't stand you.
RIP Lilly
TheBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 23:23   #22
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I do agree that the smaller red dots are the way to go, I wouldn't want one bigger than my EXPS.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 23:53   #23
AZ Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
Not trying to start a war here... but this? ^^^

I agree that the Vortex optics are GREAT for the money. For a range/practice gun, even for HD, I'd trust it.

But I've owned quite a few red-dots. Currently enjoying having a Vortex Strikefire, and it's "equal" the Aimpoint CompM2.

Though the controls are god-awful, I do like the Strikefire. It will serve the needs of alot of people just fine.

But anyone who believes that with an Aimpoint or Eotech, you're just paying for the name? Sadly delusional, or has likely never owned one.

Had both, personally prefer Aimpoint over EOtech. But they're both excellent. Tough as nails, true parallux-free operation, well thought out controls. Will absolutely do what they need to do in the worst conditions.

Value has nothing to do with price, it's what you're getting for the hard earned greenbacks you're shelling out.

Aimpoint & Eotech make "combat" worthy optics. You can beat the crap out of them, and they keep on kicking(something to think about if you plan to drag it through the woods on hunting trips).

Do you need a "combat" RDS? Only you know the answer to that.

If not, the Vortex line is a good value.

If so, IMO the best bargains you'll ever find will be the Aimpoint PRO, followed closely by the EOtech 512.

Fair enough and I appreciate your perspective. I think that Aimpoints are excellent optics that are fairly priced - I don't have any experience with Eotech. My point wasn't that you are "paying for the name" when you buy an Aimpoint, but rather that in my experience you're getting a product that is worth more than its price if you purchase a Vortex. Also to clarify I was trying to make the point that the Vortex Sparc - not the Strikefire - compares to the Aimpoint. Your mileage may vary of course!

Last edited by AZ Cat; 09-26-2012 at 23:54..
AZ Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 00:22   #24
TheBelly

The need for combat optics is different than the need for other optics. There are two big reasons why I choose 'combat' optics, specifically the Aimpoint for HD:

Battery Life: turn it on, leave it on, it will be on the next time I need it, as long as it's sometime before the turn of the century, it'll still be there turned on.

it can get the crap kicked out of it and still work.

So 'true'. Nothing 'false' with a dog.
Either they love you, or they can't stand you.
RIP Lilly

Last edited by TheBelly; 09-27-2012 at 00:25..
TheBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:46   #25
Hour13
Tah-dah!

EOtech 512 A-65 ... $365

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Cat View Post
Fair enough and I appreciate your perspective. I think that Aimpoints are excellent optics that are fairly priced - I don't have any experience with Eotech. My point wasn't that you are "paying for the name" when you buy an Aimpoint, but rather that in my experience you're getting a product that is worth more than its price if you purchase a Vortex. Also to clarify I was trying to make the point that the Vortex Sparc - not the Strikefire - compares to the Aimpoint. Your mileage may vary of course!
Lol, the "paying for the name" wasn't directed specifically at you. 'Round here, there tends to be three groups.

1) If you aren't setting up a Noveske topped with an ACOG, you shouldn't get an AR at all.

2) There's zero difference between the above^ rifle, and a DPMS topped with a BSA.

3) The guys/gals who fall in the middle(reality).

And again, I'm not bashing Vortex. They make great stuff at the price point. I've had the Sparc, and the Strikefire. Both great optics, if your RDS budget is $200 or less.

But the Aimpoint Micro & Comp series that they're respectively modeled after are on a completely different playing field. May start a war here, but in reality, above and beyond EOtech's line-up as well.

The unholy hell you can put an Aimpoint through, is unbelievable.

"... ain't nothing like the real thing baby..."

Quote:
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:16   #26
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

If you're primarily doing target shooting and occasional hunting, get a Nikon Coyote 2-7X or Burris Fullfield, they're around $200.

Anything 3X and below can still work in close, though at room distances it gets a little harder.

If you're primarily a HD/action sport (3-gun, etc) type shooter where you're simulating something like combat, shooting on the move, weird positions, etc.... get an Aimpoint Pro. Period. If you're tight on money a Primary Arms will simulate one enough to get you used to the idea and not make you go broke, but if possible, just save the pennies up front for one.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19   #27
XDRoX

Midway has the Aimpoint PRO right now for $400, free shipping. Use a coupon code for $30 or $35 off and you have it shipping to your door for $365 or $370 flat. That's a deal.

I just went through the same problem a few weeks ago. What sold me was the battery life on the Aimpoint.

Here is mine.

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum
XDRoX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:24   #28
XDRoX

Also regarding the comment about the flip up front cover. You don't even have to flip the cover up in order to uses the site. The rear cover has a window in it. So the site works fine with the front cover closed with both eyes opened.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:10   #29
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Midway has the Aimpoint PRO right now for $400, free shipping. Use a coupon code for $30 or $35 off and you have it shipping to your door for $365 or $370 flat. That's a deal.

I just went through the same problem a few weeks ago. What sold me was the battery life on the Aimpoint.

Here is mine.

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum
Wow, no kidding, that's a killer deal.

Nice rig too btw.

Quote:
Quote:
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:51   #30
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
Wow, no kidding, that's a killer deal.

Nice rig too btw.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Simple Magpul furniture. I really like the Magpul stuff. And a complete BCM 14.5" upper. It had a 16" BCM on it for the past few years but I wanted to go a little shorter. I'm really impressed with the new 14.5". It feels great swinging it around.

Here it is without the Aimpoint.

Black Rifle Forum

And here is the simulation that I built beofre I bought the parts to make sure I liked the looks of everything.

Black Rifle Forum

Pretty close match, huh?

Black Rifle Forum

I went back and forth between FDE and Black. Black won...

Here are the current midway codes. Looks like there is a $35 off $300 purchase. That means $365 shipped to your door for a great optic.

http://www.slickguns.com/content/midway-usa
Old 09-27-2012, 10:44   #31
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
The Vortex red/green does not get nearly bright enough for outside use.
I always read this, but my Vortex red/green dot is just fine on a clear, sunny day with the green dot all the way at the highest setting. I guess some people just want that red dot so bright that it is burned permanently into their retinas – I am not one of them.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 09-27-2012 at 10:45..
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:26   #32
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
I always read this, but my Vortex red/green dot is just fine on a clear, sunny day with the green dot all the way at the highest setting. I guess some people just want that red dot so bright that it is burned permanently into their retinas – I am not one of them.
Mine sucked in daylight, it was sent back and swapped out. I don't want my retinas burned- I just want the dot there nice and clear when I bring the rifle up. I sold the red only version too, EOTech and Aimpoint are on a whole different level.

Last edited by bmoore; 09-27-2012 at 11:29..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:42   #33
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
Mine sucked in daylight, it was sent back and swapped out. I don't want my retinas burned- I just want the dot there nice and clear when I bring the rifle up. I sold the red only version too, EOTech and Aimpoint are on a whole different level.
"swapped out"................. for? DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 14:47   #34
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
"swapped out"................. for? DOC
For the red only version
Old 09-27-2012, 16:22   #35
Blade37db

I know you indicated that you have narrowed your search down to 2 options, but I thought I'd throw this one out there in case you hadn't come across it. Have it on my Stag Model 2. It's short & light. I've only used it out to 100 yards.
http://www.nikonhunting.com/products...C_Carbine/8496

Paid $150. Nikon has a rebate currently available. Rings were $50.
Blade37db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 17:12   #36
Walk Soft

[QUOTE=XDRoX;19460710]Midway has the Aimpoint PRO right now for $400, free shipping. Use a coupon code for $30 or $35 off and you have it shipping to your door for $365 or $370 flat. That's a deal.

Hey thanks man.I just ordered one.
Walk Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 20:23   #37
Cole125
Silver Membership

You cannot go wrong with a Aimpoint Pro, mine has been great.

If you want a little magnification without the size and bulk of a 1-4x, take a look at the Burris AR-332 3x tactical scope. This is a quality piece, pretty much a battery powered ACOG for much less money. I've got one and its held zero on one of my ARs for over a year and 2000 rounds.

Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by Cole125; 09-27-2012 at 20:24..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 21:03   #38
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Thank you, I appreciate it.

Simple Magpul furniture. I really like the Magpul stuff. And a complete BCM 14.5" upper. It had a 16" BCM on it for the past few years but I wanted to go a little shorter. I'm really impressed with the new 14.5". It feels great swinging it around.

Here it is without the Aimpoint.

Black Rifle Forum

And here is the simulation that I built beofre I bought the parts to make sure I liked the looks of everything.

Black Rifle Forum

Pretty close match, huh?

Black Rifle Forum

I went back and forth between FDE and Black. Black won...

Here are the current midway codes. Looks like there is a $35 off $300 purchase. That means $365 shipped to your door for a great optic.

http://www.slickguns.com/content/midway-usa
Lol, ya that is pretty darn good. And yes, black rifles always look good in... black!

Thanks for the link!

Gonna drop some cash in the bank tomorrow, order me up one of those... maybe two!

One can never have too many Aimpoints.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-28-2012, 01:00   #39
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

I had an Eotech and it was a bit fuzzy to my eye. Maybe it was my old eyes making it fuzzy.

For my 300 BLK, I am going with really good iron sights at 25 yards, and the Burris Mtac on a Quick Detatch LaRue mount.

I like the burris for a few reasons. Once is the multiple dots for different ranges. The other is it works even if the battery dies. Also, everyone loves the glass. Better than the Tac which has decent glass. I'll be using it on 1x most of the time.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:21   #40
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
I had an Eotech and it was a bit fuzzy to my eye. Maybe it was my old eyes making it fuzzy.

For my 300 BLK, I am going with really good iron sights at 25 yards, and the Burris Mtac on a Quick Detatch LaRue mount.

I like the burris for a few reasons. Once is the multiple dots for different ranges. The other is it works even if the battery dies. Also, everyone loves the glass. Better than the Tac which has decent glass. I'll be using it on 1x most of the time.
Let me guess, you have astigmatism? It's a known issue with most red dots that they look fuzzy to people with astigmatism. The EO Tech reticle looks really grainy to me for the same reason.