Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:09   #1
MississipVol

New to AR's - Need Optic Help

Help me make my next purchase PLEASE!!! :-)

I am new to AR's and working on shooting with my iron sights but also trying to decide on my 1st optic for my brand new Colt LE6920-MP.

I have narrowed it down to 2 completely different "scopes":

The Vortex Strikefire Red/Green Dot

Pros - Only costs $170 which includes the mount and a 2X magnifier so I could get before Christmas. Great reviews on Amazon and talked to several people that have one and they all like it and don't regret the purchase. Would probably work for most purposes.

Cons - I don't have the greatest eyesight and MAY want to use my AR for deer hunting so is a 1X red dot enough??

The Burris MTAC 1-4X24 with illuminated ballistic CQ reticle

Pros - True 1X and up to 4X so I could get a better view of targets and would come in very handy if I wanted to stretch my target distance (or use to deer hunt). Clear glass. Has great eye relief for a scope and an illuminated ballistic reticle that is easy to pick up.

Cons - costs $399 and would probably get a Burris PEPR mount thats another $100 - so at $500 I would probably have to wait until after Christmas at least to purchase. The Burris is also longer than I wanted on my AR at 11.3" and would prevent use of my back folding sight.

So should I go ahead and get the Vortex strikefire and only get a scope later down the road if I think I need it? (Could possible use the vortex elsewhere).

OR - Should I continue saving and get the Burris MTAC knowing it would be all I would ever need?

Some of you experienced guys - please help me with your advice! Thanks!!!
MississipVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:28   #2
bmoore

The Vortex red/green does not get nearly bright enough for outside use. If you are set a on a Vortex strikefire get the red only version, it is much brigther. I had a Vortex Strikfire, it was a fine optic for the money. I now have an EOTech EXPS2-0. My advice would be wait until you can buy an EOTech or Aimpoint PRO. I have zero experience with 1-4 optics. Don't go cheap on your optics, you will be glad you bought quality years down the road.

Last edited by bmoore; 09-26-2012 at 12:28..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:46   #3
mvician
Lifetime Membership

Do you want or need magnification?

1-4x scopes are big/heavy. Do you want that extra weight?

Red Dots......save and get the Aimpoint. The PRO is $400 with mount.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:50   #4
MississipVol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvician View Post
Do you want or need magnification?

1-4x scopes are big/heavy. Do you want that extra weight?

Red Dots......save and get the Aimpoint. The PRO is $400 with mount.
Actually, I am not entirely sure I NEED the magnification but I am thinking if I try to place a shot on a deer 200 yards away I probably would.
Old 09-26-2012, 13:30   #5
AZ Cat

I've wrestled with the same issue. I suspect that for your use you'll find the 1x4 to be a better and more useful choice. For most of us red-dots are fun but not as practical as a more traditional scope.

All that said, I've owned many Vortex products and they are simply outstanding. The equal of competitors that are twice the price. Excellent glass, very well built and the best warranty ever (double check to make sure it applies to red dots). For a but more (I think $200-ish) you can get their Sparc red dot which compares to the Aimpoint PRO but at a substantial discount.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
AZ Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 13:38   #6
Jeremy_K

I have the red/green Strikefire on my AR. I have no problems shooting in broad daylight out to 200 yards. The dot will cover a 10" target at 200 yards about the size of a pie plate. Granted, I can get a decent group with the right ammo @ 200, I wouldn't prefer this optic for deer hunting. Not to mention that a .223 isn't the optimal round for deer hunting(IMO). The field of view sucks on any dot scope too. The Nikon P-223 3-9x scope looks like it would be a nice scope for the AR. It's basically a Nikon Pro Staff with target turrets and BDC reticle set up for the .223 round. I will probably end up getting one to use from time to time and swap out the red dot. The P-223 is not much more than the Vortex either.
Jeremy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 15:12   #7
MississipVol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K View Post
I have the red/green Strikefire on my AR. I have no problems shooting in broad daylight out to 200 yards. The dot will cover a 10" target at 200 yards about the size of a pie plate. Granted, I can get a decent group with the right ammo @ 200, I wouldn't prefer this optic for deer hunting. Not to mention that a .223 isn't the optimal round for deer hunting(IMO). The field of view sucks on any dot scope too. The Nikon P-223 3-9x scope looks like it would be a nice scope for the AR. It's basically a Nikon Pro Staff with target turrets and BDC reticle set up for the .223 round. I will probably end up getting one to use from time to time and swap out the red dot. The P-223 is not much more than the Vortex either.
I don't do very much deer hunting at all and, with this being my only rifle, its pretty much my only option if I go. However, I know not to try to take a deer if its much farther than 200 yds.

I have looked at the Nikon and really like it but it doesn't have the illuminated reticle of the Burris and with the bottom magnification of 3X, I would probably have to get a mini red dot to use with it anyway.

Its the fact that i will only go deer hunting once or twice a year that has me thinking I should only get a red dot but I am still unsure.
Old 09-26-2012, 15:46   #8
Glock Holliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvician View Post
......save and get the Aimpoint. The PRO is $400 with mount.
+1 That's good advice.
Old 09-26-2012, 16:48   #9
cpham9006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
My advice would be wait until you can buy an EOTech or Aimpoint PRO.
So the question boils down to this...which one? EOTech or Aimpoint Pro?

I hear positives about both...I took a look at the Aimpoint Pro and was a little turned off by the flip up lens cover.
Old 09-26-2012, 16:55   #10
bigmoney890

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpham9006 View Post

I hear positives about both...I took a look at the Aimpoint Pro and was a little turned off by the flip up lens cover.
While they are both great optics, the Aimpoint is supposed to be more rugged. The Aimpoint also has way better battery life.

I personally like the Eotech reticle. If Aimpoint made a reticle like Eotech, i'd be all over it like stupid on Pam Anderson!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bigmoney890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 17:13   #11
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:

I went with the EOTech EXPS2 because I shoot more quickly and accurately at longer distances than I did with the H1 I sold to buy it. Mine works perfectly, doesn't drain batteries when it's off or any of that. I'm sure my opinion would be different if I got a lemon.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 18:31   #12
MississipVol

You guys make some great red dot suggestions.

So I guess my bottom line point it...with what I described in my two earlier posts ITT, should I go with a 1-4X24 scope that has an illuminated ballistic CQ reticle ~OR~ a red dot sight like an EOTech or Aimpoint?

Last edited by MississipVol; 09-26-2012 at 18:33..
Old 09-26-2012, 18:34   #13
bmoore

Quote:

Depends on what you want, you should try both before buying. I prefer EOTech.
Old 09-26-2012, 18:52   #14
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I really like some of the high end low power variables, but at your budget I'd get an EOTech or Aimpoint.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 21:14   #15
K. Foster

For a multitude of uses a low power variable like the MTAC is going to be more versatile than just a red dot.
But if you are going to get a RDS, save for an Aimpoint.
Old 09-26-2012, 21:43   #16
catalyst686

Like everyone else here has said, save up and get an eotech or aimpoint. Buy once cry once.
catalyst686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 22:04   #17
WoodenPlank
Who?

Aimpoint PRO.

Also, I would't suggest using .223 for deer at anything except VERY close range (sub-50 yards) just to help ensure a quick and clean kill. Then again, I personally wouldn't hunt deer with anything below .30 caliber.

Hogs, on the other hand....
Old 09-26-2012, 22:25   #18
TexAg

Burris TAC 30? Got mine for $280 and its very clear with the illumination capable of super bright.
TexAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 22:32   #19
Walt_NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalyst686 View Post
Like everyone else here has said, save up and get an eotech or aimpoint. Buy once cry once.
Excellent advice.

------

IMO, you can't beat the eotech for rapid acquisition in CQB-distance engagements and shooting with NVG's. The Aimpoints strength is its battery life. You can leave it on and go half a deployment without having to worry about changing batteries. Neither is going to allow you to shoot minute-of-angle groups, but both are more than capable of shooting minute-of-dude out to 200-250m, guys tend to get lost behind the dot past that.

I prefer eotechs for work but do have an old M68 (aimpoint) mounted on my pig gun.

Regardless, put your hands on all of your options do you can make an informed decision. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2012, 23:01   #20
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Cat View Post
I've wrestled with the same issue. I suspect that for your use you'll find the 1x4 to be a better and more useful choice. For most of us red-dots are fun but not as practical as a more traditional scope.

All that said, I've owned many Vortex products and they are simply outstanding. The equal of competitors that are twice the price. Excellent glass, very well built and the best warranty ever (double check to make sure it applies to red dots). For a but more (I think $200-ish) you can get their Sparc red dot which compares to the Aimpoint PRO but at a substantial discount.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
Not trying to start a war here... but this? ^^^

I agree that the Vortex optics are GREAT for the money. For a range/practice gun, even for HD, I'd trust it.

But I've owned quite a few red-dots. Currently enjoying having a Vortex Strikefire, and it's "equal" the Aimpoint CompM2.

Though the controls are god-awful, I do like the Strikefire. It will serve the needs of alot of people just fine.

But anyone who believes that with an Aimpoint or Eotech, you're just paying for the name? Sadly delusional, or has likely never owned one.

Had both, personally prefer Aimpoint over EOtech. But they're both excellent. Tough as nails, true parallux-free operation, well thought out controls. Will absolutely do what they need to do in the worst conditions.

Value has nothing to do with price, it's what you're getting for the hard earned greenbacks you're shelling out.

Aimpoint & Eotech make "combat" worthy optics. You can beat the crap out of them, and they keep on kicking(something to think about if you plan to drag it through the woods on hunting trips).

Do you need a "combat" RDS? Only you know the answer to that.

If not, the Vortex line is a good value.

If so, IMO the best bargains you'll ever find will be the Aimpoint PRO, followed closely by the EOtech 512.

Quote:
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.

Last edited by Hour13; 09-26-2012 at 23:02..
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote