Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 16:30   #76
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
How did you get on the Dillon list?
Umm some time ago I had bought a speed strip case from them. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense
Old 10-01-2012, 16:39   #77
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
Umm some time ago I had bought a speed strip case from them. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense
Some things are just meant to be. You'll see.
Old 10-01-2012, 18:15   #78
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
Even the purported 'gotchas' are often wrong. I just read a review of one of the RCBS scales and it said the scale could only be set to the whole gr and that the 0.1 increment had to be read off the beam pointer. WRONG!

Sometimes it is worth reading the User Manual in advance of purchase just to see if the person writing the review had the faintest glimmer of real knowledge or experience.

Richard
Again, many people writing reviewes don't have enough exp to understand what they are using.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 18:50   #79
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
Think of the money you'll save by not using bullets in your reloads!

Are you hoping for something specific? I never have supply problems with Montana Gold, but I order ahead of when I actually need them. They're also a little spendy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
Precision Delta for jacketed bullets
Powder Valley for powder and primers

Powder Valley also sells bullets but the only bullets I have bought from them are Sierra BTHP Match for .308

There's a $27.50 HazMat fee on shipping powder and primers. Therefore, the order size has to be large enough that the savings covers the fee versus buying in small quantities at the LGS.

Montana Gold also makes jacketed bullets. I have bought a bunch of their .45 ACP, 9mm and .223. The prices are better at Precision Delta but sometimes Montana Gold will have what I need in stock.

Once again, look at the stickies. There is one dedicated to suppliers.

Richard

Thanks for this info and ill check the stickies. I assume I'll figure it out when I get the book tomorrow... I was under the assumption that load (recipie) data was specific for a particular bullet but I guess I'm going to learn that tomorrow from my reading.
Old 10-01-2012, 19:24   #80
shotgunred
reloading nut

It is. Unfortunately you are not going to find your bullet, powder and primer, case combo. They also do not use the same gun you do.

That is why smart people check two or more sources and then start LOW and work up.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:36   #81
F106 Fan

^^^^ Pay attention to this!

You will almost NEVER have the exact same components so the caution is to start with the low end of the charge range and work up slowly. The thing is, some powders only have a 0.6 gr range.

Stay away from max. If you need more velocity and you're getting close to max, buy a different powder.

As you work up, stop as soon as you get reasonable accuracy and the gun is functioning properly.

One last time: Stay away from MAX.

You will probably want to buy 1# cans of powder from your LGS as you work on loads. Once you have it all worked out, you can buy in bulk with a quantity sufficient to save some money.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 10-01-2012 at 19:49..
F106 Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00   #82
RYT 2BER

Well you live and learn.

Im big enough to stand up and say when I make a mistake, so here is one of those times.

I was given some advice to go a certain way, and I decided to go on my own so to speak.. now Im paying for it...

Bottom line, I have now actually loaded some rounds using the infamous nutcracker.. although it was a good learning experience, it is painfully slow.... Mostly due to die changes and since I wasnt using a powder measure, I was hand weighing every charge manually on my rcbs beam scale. That is one LONG way to go.

Furthermore, the manual process I think can be troublesome since I almost double charged a round due to the fact that when going by hand I had almost forgotten to move the funnel to another case..

Soooo I just bought a Lee Turret which I think will make things vastly faster, and I can use a powder measure and such...

The hand press, and hand primer among a bunch of things were basically wasted money now...

Live and learn..... I am however looking forward to getting the turret.. I have seen them in action many times and they look pretty enjoyable, while still being controllable and reasonably quick.
Old 10-05-2012, 13:01   #83
fredj338

Well, we tried to help, good choice on the LCT.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 10-05-2012, 13:22   #84
unclebob

One of the tricks that I learned when loading on a single stage press was to use two loading blocks. Matter of fact one was red and one was white. The sized and primed brass went in the white loading block with the base up. Pulled the case out of that white block and added the powder and then put that case with powder in the red block. Then when the red tray was full I looked into every case for powder and for the same amount in every case.
You will enjoy the LCT 100% better.
GSSF Life Member
Old 10-05-2012, 16:03   #85
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
One of the tricks that I learned when loading on a single stage press was to use two loading blocks. Matter of fact one was red and one was white. The sized and primed brass went in the white loading block with the base up. Pulled the case out of that white block and added the powder and then put that case with powder in the red block. Then when the red tray was full I looked into every case for powder and for the same amount in every case.
You will enjoy the LCT 100% better.
Another method I use/teach is turn all the sized, primed case mouth down & then turn them up one @ a time to fill. Pretty fool proof as long as you visually verify before placing bullets..

Last edited by fredj338; 10-05-2012 at 16:03..