Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-13-2012, 16:31   #1
Ljutic

New Terminal Testing Format

I couldn't get out to the range this afternoon due to the weather so I put together a new test recap format for the clear gel.

Interested to hear what you all think about the video and blog format.

G17 and Speer GD 115 grain for this test.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...s-testing.html

Caliber Corner
Old 10-13-2012, 17:53   #2
SCmasterblaster

Very nice expansion!
Old 10-13-2012, 19:09   #3
WiskyT
Malcontent

I can't speak to the gel results since I'm not any kind of an expert other than to say your gel obviously matches the factory tests in this example. You might run into issues with the chrono though. Eight feet is a little close. Many gun/ammo combinations might give good results at 8', but you can get weird numbers that close with combos that produce more blast. A snubby 357mag shooting a light bullet with slow powder might give you a string like 1,300, 1,275, 850, 1,700, 1,320. I chrono loads at 20 feet to avoid this.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:35   #4
SCmasterblaster

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I can't speak to the gel results since I'm not any kind of an expert other than to say your gel obviously matches the factory tests in this example. You might run into issues with the chrono though. Eight feet is a little close. Many gun/ammo combinations might give good results at 8', but you can get weird numbers that close with combos that produce more blast. A snubby 357mag shooting a light bullet with slow powder might give you a string like 1,300, 1,275, 850, 1,700, 1,320. I chrono loads at 20 feet to avoid this.
Why such a wide variation?
Old 10-13-2012, 19:37   #5
unit1069

tnoutdoors' test of the standard pressure 115-grain Gold Dot produced very impressive results also. As I recall he stated the results "complicates" the search for the optimum 9mm self-defense ammo. I was pleased because I happen to have half a box of it in my own inventory that I can use in the micro 9mm pistol that the maker cautions against shooting +P ammo.
Old 10-13-2012, 19:40   #6
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
tnoutdoors' test of the standard pressure 115-grain Gold Dot produced very impressive results also. As I recall he stated the results "complicates" the search for the optimum 9mm self-defense ammo. I was pleased because I happen to have half a box of it in my own inventory that I can use in the micro 9mm pistol that the maker cautions against shooting +P ammo.
What is a "micro" nine-millimeter?
Old 10-13-2012, 19:44   #7
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Why such a wide variation?
It's the muzzle blast. It fools the chrono. Some chronos are more sensative to it than others, and there is a big difference in amounts of blast from different calibers and loads. From time to time you will see threads where someone gets wild velocity spreads. Invariably they will defend their chrono testing by saying something along the lines of "I tested my chrono with my 22LR load and it was spot on". This means nothing since a 22:R out of a 22' barrel makes almost no blast at all. Most 9mm loads don't have a lot of blast and will chrono well at short distances, but try a 10mm or magnum load and you'll see your numbers go to ****.

Old 10-13-2012, 19:48   #8
SCmasterblaster

Really?

Quote:
It's the muzzle blast. It fools the chrono. Some chronos are more sensative to it than others, and there is a big difference in amounts of blast from different calibers and loads. From time to time you will see threads where someone gets wild velocity spreads. Invariably they will defend their chrono testing by saying something along the lines of "I tested my chrono with my 22LR load and it was spot on". This means nothing since a 22:R out of a 22' barrel makes almost no blast at all. Most 9mm loads don't have a lot of blast and will chrono well at short distances, but try a 10mm or magnum load and you'll see your numbers go to ****.
I figured that short-barrelled .357 Magnums actually had that kind of variation. But I suppose that your explanation makes sense.
Old 10-13-2012, 19:51   #9
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
I figured that short-barrelled .357 Magnums actually had that kind of variation. But I suppose that your explanation makes sense.
No, a snubby 357 should have a reasonable extreme spread, say 60fps between the highest and lowest shots assuming the ammo was loaded properly. The extreme spreads you see in my example are from inaccurate chrono readings due to muzzle blast.

Old 10-13-2012, 20:57   #10
Tiro Fijo

It's a wonderful old round that many have forgotten about with all the new stuff. Truth be told, there is hardly any measureable difference between it, the 124 gr. & the 124 gr. +p Gold Dots in official four layer denim/ballistic gel tests. This round clocks over 1,200 fps in my G19, which shows that it is an efficient round as well.

Nice test & nice gun. Thanks.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 21:52   #11
unit1069

Quote:
What is a "micro" nine-millimeter?
A 9mm pistol that I can fit into a front pocket with care that has a grip small enough to stay hidden, although I normally carry IWB. A Glock sub-compact is too large to fit that description, for reference.
Old 10-13-2012, 21:55   #12
M 7

I really like the new clear gelatin that you are using- the ability to see what is going on/has happened in the block is a nice quality.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:19   #13
Ljutic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
A 9mm pistol that I can fit into a front pocket with care that has a grip small enough to stay hidden, although I normally carry IWB. A Glock sub-compact is too large to fit that description, for reference.
I have a couple pair of pants and a holster that will make the G27 work front pocket. I love those pants.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:57   #14
4949shooter

Very nice test.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:41   #15
Ljutic

Quote:
You might run into issues with the chrono though. Eight feet is a little close. Many gun/ammo combinations might give good results at 8', but you can get weird numbers that close with combos that produce more blast.
I started out using the CED M2 and that was all kinds of sensitive to muzzle blast even with little 380 and 32 ammo.

The CE Digital has worked out great with very few false readings. It even catches flies that happen to pass over the sensors. Flies/bugs have been my biggest chronograph test spoiler.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:11   #16
SCmasterblaster

I just looked at the Glock website. G26/27 are the micro-Glocks for sure.