GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 16:31   #1
Ljutic
Senior Member
 
Ljutic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 154
New Terminal Testing Format

I couldn't get out to the range this afternoon due to the weather so I put together a new test recap format for the clear gel.

Interested to hear what you all think about the video and blog format.

G17 and Speer GD 115 grain for this test.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...s-testing.html

Caliber Corner
__________________
Author and solo contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear blog.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Ljutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 17:53   #2
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Very nice expansion!
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:09   #3
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
I can't speak to the gel results since I'm not any kind of an expert other than to say your gel obviously matches the factory tests in this example. You might run into issues with the chrono though. Eight feet is a little close. Many gun/ammo combinations might give good results at 8', but you can get weird numbers that close with combos that produce more blast. A snubby 357mag shooting a light bullet with slow powder might give you a string like 1,300, 1,275, 850, 1,700, 1,320. I chrono loads at 20 feet to avoid this.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:35   #4
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I can't speak to the gel results since I'm not any kind of an expert other than to say your gel obviously matches the factory tests in this example. You might run into issues with the chrono though. Eight feet is a little close. Many gun/ammo combinations might give good results at 8', but you can get weird numbers that close with combos that produce more blast. A snubby 357mag shooting a light bullet with slow powder might give you a string like 1,300, 1,275, 850, 1,700, 1,320. I chrono loads at 20 feet to avoid this.
Why such a wide variation?
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:37   #5
unit1069
Senior Member
 
unit1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Central US
Posts: 8,771
tnoutdoors' test of the standard pressure 115-grain Gold Dot produced very impressive results also. As I recall he stated the results "complicates" the search for the optimum 9mm self-defense ammo. I was pleased because I happen to have half a box of it in my own inventory that I can use in the micro 9mm pistol that the maker cautions against shooting +P ammo.
__________________
Rocket Scientist
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:40   #6
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
tnoutdoors' test of the standard pressure 115-grain Gold Dot produced very impressive results also. As I recall he stated the results "complicates" the search for the optimum 9mm self-defense ammo. I was pleased because I happen to have half a box of it in my own inventory that I can use in the micro 9mm pistol that the maker cautions against shooting +P ammo.
What is a "micro" nine-millimeter?
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:44   #7
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Why such a wide variation?
It's the muzzle blast. It fools the chrono. Some chronos are more sensative to it than others, and there is a big difference in amounts of blast from different calibers and loads. From time to time you will see threads where someone gets wild velocity spreads. Invariably they will defend their chrono testing by saying something along the lines of "I tested my chrono with my 22LR load and it was spot on". This means nothing since a 22:R out of a 22' barrel makes almost no blast at all. Most 9mm loads don't have a lot of blast and will chrono well at short distances, but try a 10mm or magnum load and you'll see your numbers go to ****.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:48   #8
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
It's the muzzle blast. It fools the chrono. Some chronos are more sensative to it than others, and there is a big difference in amounts of blast from different calibers and loads. From time to time you will see threads where someone gets wild velocity spreads. Invariably they will defend their chrono testing by saying something along the lines of "I tested my chrono with my 22LR load and it was spot on". This means nothing since a 22:R out of a 22' barrel makes almost no blast at all. Most 9mm loads don't have a lot of blast and will chrono well at short distances, but try a 10mm or magnum load and you'll see your numbers go to ****.
I figured that short-barrelled .357 Magnums actually had that kind of variation. But I suppose that your explanation makes sense.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:51   #9
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I figured that short-barrelled .357 Magnums actually had that kind of variation. But I suppose that your explanation makes sense.
No, a snubby 357 should have a reasonable extreme spread, say 60fps between the highest and lowest shots assuming the ammo was loaded properly. The extreme spreads you see in my example are from inaccurate chrono readings due to muzzle blast.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 20:57   #10
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,245
It's a wonderful old round that many have forgotten about with all the new stuff. Truth be told, there is hardly any measureable difference between it, the 124 gr. & the 124 gr. +p Gold Dots in official four layer denim/ballistic gel tests. This round clocks over 1,200 fps in my G19, which shows that it is an efficient round as well.


Nice test & nice gun. Thanks.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 21:52   #11
unit1069
Senior Member
 
unit1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Central US
Posts: 8,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
What is a "micro" nine-millimeter?
A 9mm pistol that I can fit into a front pocket with care that has a grip small enough to stay hidden, although I normally carry IWB. A Glock sub-compact is too large to fit that description, for reference.
__________________
Rocket Scientist
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 21:55   #12
M 7
Senior Member
 
M 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,106
I really like the new clear gelatin that you are using- the ability to see what is going on/has happened in the block is a nice quality.
__________________
For those who CCW:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
M 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:19   #13
Ljutic
Senior Member
 
Ljutic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
A 9mm pistol that I can fit into a front pocket with care that has a grip small enough to stay hidden, although I normally carry IWB. A Glock sub-compact is too large to fit that description, for reference.
I have a couple pair of pants and a holster that will make the G27 work front pocket. I love those pants.
__________________
Author and solo contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear blog.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Ljutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:57   #14
4949shooter
Senior Member
 
4949shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Jersey Republik
Posts: 13,037


Very nice test.
__________________
"...the men under your command deserve your leadership."-OXCOPS
4949shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:41   #15
Ljutic
Senior Member
 
Ljutic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
You might run into issues with the chrono though. Eight feet is a little close. Many gun/ammo combinations might give good results at 8', but you can get weird numbers that close with combos that produce more blast.
I started out using the CED M2 and that was all kinds of sensitive to muzzle blast even with little 380 and 32 ammo.

The CE Digital has worked out great with very few false readings. It even catches flies that happen to pass over the sensors. Flies/bugs have been my biggest chronograph test spoiler.
__________________
Author and solo contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear blog.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Ljutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:11   #16
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
I just looked at the Glock website. G26/27 are the micro-Glocks for sure.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:33.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 961
294 Members
667 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31