SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-22-2012, 17:23   #1
agile_1

Maintenance routine for new Glock

Hello all.

First time Glock owner. Just fired my nib G30SF for the first time today. Put about 40 WWB 230gr jhp's through it. I plan to rotate the G30SF in to become my primary carry pistol so I want to start some good Glock maintenance habits.

I have read that Glocks are extremely reliable and cleaning should only be done "when needed". Also that they should not be lubricated excessively. I guess my question is how often do other folks clean their carry Glocks - and what lubricants do you use? How do you know when it "needs" to be cleaned?

I use grease on most of my other pistols, but am told that grease should not be used on Glocks. That's fine - just wondering what to do instead. The manual describes a very light maintenance routine. A couple drops of oil rubbed out over the load bearing surfaces. To me this seems ridiculously inadequate but I have to believe that the manufacturers know what their products require.

The manual also mentions some copper grease on the rails that should be left on when cleaning for the first time. I did see the copper grease when I cleaned it before shooting it, but was wondering if that is indeed copper grease and if I should get some for future maintenance. If so - which brand is recommended - or is some other lubricant recommended?

I am interested hearing about the maintenance habits and favorite oils and greases other Glock owners use as I need to understand how to keep my G30Sf in top shape.

Thanks for any help.
agile_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 17:52   #2
glock_19guy1983

Glocks have to be maintained?
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
glock_19guy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 18:03   #3
PettyOfficer

Some field strip and clean after every range trip, some after 300, 500 or 1000 rounds.

I do it about every 300 rounds with just a little lube on the rails, where the manual suggests. You don't want to use too much lube, if it gets into the firing pin channel, it can get gummed up with gunpowder and then you could have a malfunction when your life in on the line.

For a detail strip, some people never do it, others around 5k mark. I have not shot that many rounds through either of my Glocks, but probably will in the low Ks too, as well as to learn how (supposedly super simple and there are YouTube videos too).

Last edited by PettyOfficer; 09-22-2012 at 18:06..
PettyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 19:03   #4
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agile_1 View Post
…… I have read that Glocks are extremely reliable and cleaning should only be done "when needed". Also that they should not be lubricated excessively. I guess my question is how often do other folks clean their carry Glocks - and what lubricants do you use? How do you know when it "needs" to be cleaned?

I use grease on most of my other pistols, but am told that grease should not be used on Glocks. That's fine - just wondering what to do instead. The manual describes a very light maintenance routine. A couple drops of oil rubbed out over the load bearing surfaces. To me this seems ridiculously inadequate but I have to believe that the manufacturers know what their products require.

The manual also mentions some copper grease on the rails that should be left on when cleaning for the first time. I did see the copper grease when I cleaned it before shooting it, but was wondering if that is indeed copper grease and if I should get some for future maintenance. If so - which brand is recommended - or is some other lubricant recommended?

I am interested hearing about the maintenance habits and favorite oils and greases other Glock owners use as I need to understand how to keep my G30Sf in top shape.

Thanks for any help.
Hello!

In a long lifetime of owning and using multiple firearms from numerous popular manufacturers I have never encountered any gun with the incredible mystique surrounding it that these plastic pistols enjoy. NONE of the usual rules for maintaining a firearm seem to apply! Glock pistols aren’t, ‘extremely reliable’; and, if you think this way, then, you’re asking to be disappointed or, maybe, even screwed the first time you really need a gun.

I had plenty of trouble and serious mechanical problems with my first two Glock pistols. I’m having a serious issue with my most recently purchased Glock, right now, and am reluctant to carry it for self-defense. Sure, it shoots all right; but it’s, also, got an extractor that likes to throw random brass into my face and eyes. Doesn’t happen too often; but just enough to convince me not to trust it for use without a pair of safety glasses on. (Just like my first two Glocks BEFORE I finally got them fixed!)

First thing you should do with a brand new Glock is to clean it BEFORE use. The, ‘copper grease’ can go. There’s no further need for anti-seize compound on your Glock once you begin to use it. The second thing you should do is carefully, ‘verify’ (or break-in) your new polymer frame pistol with, at least, 300 rounds before you begin carrying it for self-defense.

Personally, I do not now, nor have I ever, accepted the, ‘6 to 8 drops of oil’ rationale. I lube my Glocks in exactly the same way I lubricate all of my other firearms. I’ve got one Glock that has, now, gone through nearly 18,000 fired rounds without so much as a hiccup. I’ve got another Glock that fired more than 12,000 rounds without a hitch; and my presently troublesome newer Glock with the crazy extraction problem has, now, fired over 3,000 rounds with only the extractor problem showing up.

Glocks love Ballistol, ‘Sportsman’s Oil’. In my experience Ballistol is the one CLP solution that polymer frame pistols seem to love the best! (It’s the mineral oil in the Ballistol that gets along so well with plastic.) I clean the inside of my barrels with Flitz Metal Polish; and, often, I’ll coat my bores with Sentry Solution’s, ‘Smooth-Kote’ passivated moly solution. (I seem to be getting a little more velocity; and, afterwards, it only takes me a few minutes to clean out a treated bore.)

I, also, use grease on semiautomatic slide rails - All semi-auto slide rails. My grease of choice is Sentry Solutions, ‘Hi-Slip’ grease. It stays where you put it; and never attracts any kind of dirt or powder residue. (You DO need to wear Nitrile or latex gloves when you are gun cleaning after using any Sentry Solution; BUT, you should be wearing protective gloves, anyway, whenever you clean a firearm.)

I’ve had the lifelong habit of cleaning my guns as soon after using them as possible. This goes for all of my Glock pistols, too. (Contrary to the popular myth: Glocks really aren’t made of, ‘magic wunder metal’. If you want to keep your Glock in good (serviceable) condition then treat it in exactly the same way you would any other firearm. After 10 years of Glock ownership and use I honestly don’t believe that Gaston Glock gives a damn about how I clean one of his pistols; and, in all of the contacts I’ve had with the tech support department in Smyrna, I’m positive that none of the tech support people care either.

I suggest you look at Glock’s cleaning instructions in another way. Anytime a manufacturer’s cleaning instructions defy either common sense or decades of gun maintenance experience, it’s going to be OK to ignore the advice and continue on with the same gun cleaning procedures the Boy Scouts taught you 50 years ago.

Hopefully you’ll find my advice and experience with Glock pistols to be as useful as it is contrary to popular opinion. (It’s bolstered by the fact that I’ve been following my usual cleaning procedures with my Glocks that I’ve, already, been using with all of my other firearms for the past 50 + years.) Good luck with your new pistol! The G-30 enjoys a reputation as one of the most accurate Glocks!

POST SCRIPT: Most people who know what they're doing with a Glock will takedown the slide, and clean out the slide internals at intervals between 1,500 and 2,000 rounds.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 09-23-2012 at 07:13..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 20:15   #5
agile_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Hello!

In a long lifetime of owning and using multiple firearms from numerous popular manufacturers I have never encountered any gun with the incredible mystique surrounding it that these plastic pistols enjoy. NONE of the usual rules for maintaining a firearm seem to apply! Glock pistols arenít, Ďextremely reliableí; and, if you think this way, then, youíre asking to be disappointed or, maybe, even screwed the first time you really need a gun.

Hopefully youíll find my advice and experience with Glock pistols to be as useful as it is contrary to popular opinion. (Itís bolstered by the fact that Iíve been following my usual cleaning procedures with my Glocks that Iíve, already, been using with all of my other firearms for the past 50 + years.) Good luck with your new pistol! The G-30 enjoys a reputation as one of the most accurate Glocks!
Thanks a heap Arc Angel. I suspected as much. As much as we all want a firearm that cleans itself, I'd bet that reliability improves with regular maintenance.

First 40 rounds out of my G30SF were very encouraging. Decent ejection, manageable recoil, reasonable accuracy at 50 ft (my eyesight is not as great as it used to be) no sore spots on the hand.

A few more rounds tomorrow then I'll clean her up and lube her.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:16   #6
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

You're welcome!

(You know you're dealing with a serious pistolero when he refers to his pistol as, 'her'.)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:22   #7
AZson

Remove your slide. Clean your barrel, spray some Break-free powder blast into your trigger area (do this out side because this will make a mess) and spray a bit on a rag to wipe the powder off your barrel ramp and the slide area where the firing pint comes out next to the extractor, this will remove the powder residue there also. Put a drop of oil on the slide rails and put a blob of white grease between the connector and the trigger bar. Finished. A friend who was a Glock armorer taught me this.

Last edited by AZson; 09-23-2012 at 08:23..
AZson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:28   #8
Lowjiber

When I got my first Glock, I was still stuck in the mold created by years of shooting 1911's. It was really hard to realize that no grease and a very minor amount of Bilistol was all a Glock needed. However, (three Glocks and thousands of rounds later), I'm convinced.

You will be too.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:40   #9
agile_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
When I got my first Glock, I was still stuck in the mold created by years of shooting 1911's. It was really hard to realize that no grease and a very minor amount of Bilistol was all a Glock needed. However, (three Glocks and thousands of rounds later), I'm convinced.
You will be too.
No grease? Not even a dab on the slide rails? I understand that the gun might work and shoot. But I am after the pinnacle of reliability. If that means no grease so be it, but I can't help but be skeptical. Guess I need to put those thousands of rounds through my Glock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
Remove your slide. Clean your barrel, spray some Break-free powder blast into your trigger area (do this out side because this will make a mess) and spray a bit on a rag to wipe the powder off your barrel ramp and the slide area where the firing pint comes out next to the extractor, this will remove the powder residue there also. Put a drop of oil on the slide rails and put a blob of white grease between the connector and the trigger bar. Finished. A friend who was a Glock armorer taught me this.
Thanks AZson. I see that a bristle rush comes with the gun. And I have seen a couple of videos using a bristle brush on the barrel. On all my pistols I will use a brass brush to break the crud free and then start with solvents on a patch. Are brass brushes NOT recommended for Glocks? Also - the G30 has an octagonal vs hexagonal barrel that most Glocks have. How does that play into cleaning and brush usage etc.?
Old 09-23-2012, 10:44   #10
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I have had or do own G20, G22, G19, G23, G27. I usually wipe it down after shooting, usually 150 to 200 rounds per outing. I may patch the bore if I have been shooting lead. I will do a complete cleaning if I start having problems, never happened yet.
With Glocks I do not get crazy with cleaning, never had the need.
Old 09-23-2012, 18:25   #11
agile_1

Any thoughts on the use of a brass bore brush?

I know that a bristle brush comes withe the firearm. And I do not see anyone online recommending using a brass core brush. Does the polygonal barrel design just not get crudded up?

Also - I appreciate the minimal maintenance aspect of Glocks. It is one of the reasons I finally bought one. If it works out, I will of course have to buy another one, but I am simply not comfortable
with the two drops of oil lubrication schedule. It seems like negligence - abuse even, of a fine firearm that I need to work in the "gravest extreme" (sorry Mas).

on edit - just watched Hickocks "Glock cleaning" video. Good stuff. No brass brush but he did mention the occasional use of a bore snake.

Not shooting lead through my Glock so I don't expect any heavy fouling, and probably won't need to run a brass brush through it.

Last edited by agile_1; 09-23-2012 at 18:45..
Old 09-23-2012, 20:55   #12
skew12

Thanks for the info
skew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:15   #13
FLSlim

I do clean mine after every range trip (that's the way I was taught, so that's the way I do it; plus I actually enjoy it). My routine is simple, field strip, spray barrel with Ballistol, wipe down frame and slide, light drop of oil on each frame rail and trigger spring area, run a few patches through the barrel, and reassemble. I don't use grease on any of my pistols, I use copper brushes very sparingly, and I find CLP good to use if I'm out of Ballistol. I'll do a complete strip and clean very, very rarely.
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote