Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-22-2012, 18:22   #1
glockout

My 10mm 180 grain lead loads.

Today I started to work up some loads for my Glock 20 stock barrel.
My bullets are hand cast from mixed lead. They are a Lee TC FP 175 grain bullet that comes in a 182 grains. They have a wide meplate. They are coated with Lee Alox. They are pretty soft and can be cut with a fingernail. I knew I was going to have an issue with leading given the "soft" lands in the polygonal rifling.

I have found that I get more leading with faster powders in general .

Since new, my glock has ate a diet of 180 grain Berry bullets using promo then wsf. I have had it for 3 months and have a couple hundred rounds through it. Both powders are too fast but they were mainly intended to cycle the action for break-in. The gun is very pleasant to shoot and quite accurate.

Today tried some Accurate #9, 800x and Acc2330. I have been using Wolf primers so I continued with them.

The 800x up first. I loaded them to 8.0 grains as that is what my Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure threw at .82cc. It was in the range that I saw packaged with my Lee dies. It shot extremely even I didn't put a patch cord on my chrony but 6 rounds were within 10 and 3 of them were within 3fps. Even though the flakes are large 800x produced very even results.

I opened the gun up and oh.... lead streaked all over. Obviously this is a problem.

I went to #9 and tried 12.4 just above the minimum in my book for a 180 and they shot all within 20fps and zero leading. Coincidentally it was also at .82cc on the powder measure. They were at 1070 fps very close to the same speed as with the 800x. I bumped up to the next disk I think 13.1 grains and saw over 1100fps but my barrel was streaked. Am going to stay with the 12.4gr

For fun I tried some 2230 and it took 16.5 grains as a compressed load to get it up to 800 fps. Lots of grains were remaining.

I am shooting 40sw with this bullet using WSF and getting it up to 950 fps with an aftermarket barrel in a 23. I do get some leading but not much. Maybe switching to 800x which is a bit slower than WSF will help.

I really should have cleaned up the brass or pulled out some new brass for this pic but this is what they look like. They are 1.250-1.255"
10mm Reloading Forum

Last edited by glockout; 09-22-2012 at 18:30..
glockout is offline   Reply With Quote