Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 00:19   #41
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
Turn safety off (usually doesn't matter, but being PGO and Mossberg, it's just easier to leave it off)
Load tube
Pull bolt back (lifting shell up)
Top the tube off

You get full capacity, without chambering a round. If you need it, slide the bolt home, and you're ready to go.
Also leaves the bolt open, meaning dust, debris, and obstructions can get into the chamber.

How do you intend to top off the magazine with the shell lifter in the down position, anyway?
Old 10-01-2012, 00:25   #42
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Also leaves the bolt open, meaning dust, debris, and obstructions can get into the chamber.

How do you intend to top off the magazine with the shell lifter in the down position, anyway?
If it's in the bag (posted above), dust and debris is a non-issue.

And at least on the 870, moving the bolt forward slightly raises the lifter. Same for 500's, to my knowledge, but could be wrong.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691

Last edited by Inebriated; 10-01-2012 at 00:26..
Inebriated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:31   #43
cliffsta
Who, me?

Nope. If the pump is rearward on the Mossberg 500, you cannot load a shell into the magazine tube.

I personally keep my Mossberg by my bed with a full magazine and empty chamber. Safety on. The way my apartment is set up, if something goes bump at/through the front door or the balcony window, I'd have more than enough time to run the pump and train the bead on the choke point entering my bedroom.

NRA Member
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 13:02   #44
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffsta View Post
Nope. If the pump is rearward on the Mossberg 500, you cannot load a shell into the magazine tube.
I stand corrected, then.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 14:41   #45
4Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brines View Post
...I keep a Mossberg 500 in my trunk, and just took the buttstock off of it and put the pistol grip on...So I keep the Mossberg in my trunk, and want to know how safe (or unsafe) it may be to leave a round chambered...Is this safe? Or should I just leave the chamber empty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnitro View Post
I was told by the trainers at my previous dept. that the way the safety is designed, if you were up drop a loaded shotgun, it would discharge. Now I obviously do not have much experience with shotguns so not sure if that's true or not. We used Remington's, can't remember the model. True or false or on between?

Signed, confuzzed.
True.
Most shotguns are not "drop-safe".
For carry and transport, unless you know or believe your firearm to be "drop-safe", you should keep the chamber empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20SFLV View Post
You also want to check the law as some states prohibit keeping a loaded rifle/shotgun in the car. Loaded in some states means round in the chamber. Don't know about Texas, but in Nevada you could keep rounds in the magazine, but not in the chamber if you are going to go for a drive.
Most states prohibit a chambered shotshell or cartridge in a shotgun or long arm while within a motor vehicle.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 00:44   #46
hotrodtrk

Like some have said, check with you local laws. In Tn, you cannot keep a chambered shotgun in your car. Fill the tube up, just don't chamber a round. Which is odd. You can have 20 fully loaded and chambered hand guns ready to go, but you cannot have a shotgun ready to shoot. But I guess that's the way it goes.
hotrodtrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:46   #47
TeeJay37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodtrk View Post
Like some have said, check with you local laws. In Tn, you cannot keep a chambered shotgun in your car. Fill the tube up, just don't chamber a round. Which is odd. You can have 20 fully loaded and chambered hand guns ready to go, but you cannot have a shotgun ready to shoot. But I guess that's the way it goes.
I think that's an anti-poaching thing. You can't just pull over and shoot a rabbit if the guns not loaded. Something like that, maybe.
TeeJay37 is offline   Reply With Quote