Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:31   #1
Hedo1

Shotgun Review - Various

We did our annual Zombie shoot over the weekend. I was one of the RSO's for a shotgun/pistol stage. I got to observe a smorgasboard of shotguns from 125 registered shooters and a dozen or so staff shooters.

The initial portion of the stage required the shooter to engage 6 targets. 5 stationary and one mover from distance ranging from 10Y to 20Y. 7.5 shot or smaller.

Here is my review of what I saw.

Saiga- I only saw 3 of them. Last time I did this I saw a lot more. The shooters who had them were very good. No misses and all were reliable. No failures. They were all customized, none were stock.

FN -Auto. Saw one. It was a beauty and ran well.

Remington 870 - Various configurations. About 1/3 of the shooters had these. They all ran well. No falures. Depending on the sighting they didn't miss much. Many new shooters had these and missed a few targets. Not the guns fault.

Remington 1100 Tactical. - Nice looking set up. Saw a few of these. No issues at all.

Browning Auto loader with extended tube - fastest shotgun I've seen. I tried this one. Hardly any recoil. It really did seem faster. Has an autoload feature that was kind of neat.

Mossberg 930 SPX. Saw at least a dozen of these including mine. 1 failure to operate. It was brand new and would not feed with low brass. The other ones ran fine, including mine, after it's visit to the factory last month. Many good shooters were using them. Fast and accurate. Sights one these are tough to beat.

Benelli - Various configurations. No relaibility issues to speak of. The top shooter ran one of these, M2 I believe. Low time way below the next fastest.

Winchester "Trench Broom" with heat shield and bayonet lug. This guy also had a WW2 era 1911 and full kit. He was a good shooter and nailed the stage while wearing full web gear and a steel helmet. A crowd favorite. Not only was this shotgun reliable it's been reliable for about 90 years! I was hoping he put the bayonet on. Funniest comment of the day "When you see a bayonet getting fixed to a shotgun, someone's getting an ass kicking" In this case they were Zombie targets....

All in all very few gun related issues. Several ammo related issues, light strikes etc. Safely executed and a lot of fun. 930 SPX's seem to be on the rise. Saiga's on the down slope. Old standby's still standing by getting the job done. Comapred to pistol shooting after the transition most people are a lot better with a shotgun then a handgun. My two cents.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:06   #2
vafish

No Mossberg 500?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:17   #3
Hedo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
No Mossberg 500?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Sorry about that. My mistake. I meant to put the Mossberg 500 under the 870 review but dleted it by mistake.

I did see at least 15 Mossberg 500's. All with the 18" barrel. 1 in the marine finish. They preformed well. (6 of 6 with not malfunctions. I saw two with mini red dots that looked and shot well.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:22   #4
plouffedaddy

Thanks for the write up. My guess is the Saigas were on the decrease because of the reliablility issues they've had in the past couple years. That said, K-Var just imported a new variant that they claim has solved those issues so you may see a few more of them next year.

Me, I'll be sticking with my 870s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 17:48   #5
aippi

Great post and covered the spectrum of weapons out there. I guess it goes to show that most any model performs well when properly maintained and in the hands of a shooter.

There is so much on these gun forums about issues with this model and that model. I think much of this is due to the fact that buying a weapon and posting on gun forums does not make a shooter. Your post showed many different models in the right hands doing what they were designed to do without no malfunctions.

Great post and a good read. Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 18:10   #6
plouffedaddy

I should also mention the VEPR shotguns are coming soon as well. Those will likely be popular zombie slayers

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 09-24-2012, 23:23   #7
WJR

No 590A1s?

WJR
Tactical Shotgun Club #1996
WJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 23:49   #8
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
Thanks for the write up. My guess is the Saigas were on the decrease because of the reliablility issues they've had in the past couple years. That said, K-Var just imported a new variant that they claim has solved those issues so you may see a few more of them next year.

Me, I'll be sticking with my 870s
What reliability issues are you talking about? They've been around for ten years or so now, and the Saiga community has pretty much got every little tweak completely mastered now.

The only problems occur when people try to run birdshot out of a combat shotgun. Easy to make it work for that too, but it does sometimes take a couple mods. Is that what you're talking about?
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:31   #9
plouffedaddy

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I'm not knocking Saigas, believe me I love the Kalashnakov system in all forms but many people don't want guns that need tweaking for birdshot and buckshot. They just want guns that work every time.

Many of us on gun forums are tinkerers and we shoot a lot. I'd be willing to bet that 80% of gun owners don't shoot 500 rounds a year though and don't enjoy researching how to improve them/modify them/work on them like we do.

Certified Glock Armorer

Last edited by plouffedaddy; 09-25-2012 at 08:32..
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56   #10
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Were the Brownings you mentioned like the Auto 5 pattern guns? I don't know if Browning is making any other auto shotguns other than the Auto 5.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 18:56   #11
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo1 View Post
The other ones ran fine, including mine, after it's visit to the factory last month..
Mine is off to the factory right now (shipped today) for the "binding bolt issue"... Why did yours go?
Old 09-25-2012, 19:03   #12
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJR View Post
No 590A1s?

WJR
Was wondering that too. Sometimes people lump them into the 500 bracket. Mines a Vang Comp.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:23   #13
Hedo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
Mine is off to the factory right now (shipped today) for the "binding bolt issue"... Why did yours go?
Double feeds from the mag tube was the primary problem. The other wast a failure to extract that happened frequently. They said they replaced three out of spec parts but didn't tell me which one.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:24   #14
Hedo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
Was wondering that too. Sometimes people lump them into the 500 bracket. Mines a Vang Comp.
I did lump them. Most of the 500's were modified making them difficult to tell apart unless there was an issue which required me to assist with the firearm.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:25   #15
Hedo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Great post and covered the spectrum of weapons out there. I guess it goes to show that most any model performs well when properly maintained and in the hands of a shooter.

There is so much on these gun forums about issues with this model and that model. I think much of this is due to the fact that buying a weapon and posting on gun forums does not make a shooter. Your post showed many different models in the right hands doing what they were designed to do without no malfunctions.

Great post and a good read. Thank you.
Thanks Aippi. Coming from you a pro like yourself that means a lot to me. I'm going to have to tell some of my shooting buds!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:28   #16
Hedo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
What reliability issues are you talking about? They've been around for ten years or so now, and the Saiga community has pretty much got every little tweak completely mastered now.

The only problems occur when people try to run birdshot out of a combat shotgun. Easy to make it work for that too, but it does sometimes take a couple mods. Is that what you're talking about?
We required 7.5 lead shot or smalled since the targets were steel reactives and we didn't want any backsplash issues.

Winchester makes a load I believe is called Heavy 8 that is a full power load in 8 shot. A lot of shooters used this load.
Old 09-30-2012, 22:50   #17
collim1
Shower Time!

Good to hear, sounds like a good time. I have Remingtons myself but really like the 500's.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote