Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:56   #1
Whitebrad25

Help me on how to polish the feed ramp on G22

I purchased a G22 on trade a little while ago and I was shocked that the Glock didn't have a polished feed ramp. It just seems like a very common sense addition for reliable feeding. I have only had one FTF with my G22 (using new Glock 22 round magazine) so I am not concerned about reliability at all. I just want to do this for peace of mind.

That having been said, I have not done a polish to anything, yet. I do not have a dremel, I don't have many tools (or any that I think I might need for such a job). I moved out of an apartment recently so I didn't have room/space for a bunch of tools.

Anyways, helpful links, tips, words of caution are appreciated.
Whitebrad25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:33   #2
Boot Stomper

IMO don't worry about polishing the ramp. Enjoy shooting your new Glock. A Glocks is one of the most reliable guns right from the factory. Buys some bullets and enjoy. Let the bullets polish the ramp.

Last edited by Boot Stomper; 09-21-2012 at 08:33..
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:31   #3
Whitebrad25

I'm asking for help on how to, not opinions on whether or not to.

Thanks but no thanks. I know it is a simple, easy adjustment (wouldn't even call it a mod) that will aid in reliability. One of those, it can't hurt but can only help type deals.

So, still looking for basic info.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:07   #4
mymini40

Its easy if you have a Dremel or similar tool Just attach a felt wheel at low rpm .Run the felt wheel on a polishing compound(usually comes with the Dremel kit) and go for it. Wont take long for a mirror finish. Did that with my G22 too.Hope this helps.
mymini40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:45   #5
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymini40 View Post
Its easy if you have a Dremel or similar tool Just attach a felt wheel at low rpm .Run the felt wheel on a polishing compound(usually comes with the Dremel kit) and go for it. Wont take long for a mirror finish. Did that with my G22 too.Hope this helps.
This sure sounds simple. Do you know you're done when the mirror finish is achieved? Can this process harm the pistol's performance by removing too much or removing the ramp surface unevenly?

For even polishing, I've also heard of using a dowel rod that fits the ramp contour with a very fine polishing material.

Is anything less than a mirror finish considered to be an improvement to the barrel? Does one need to go that far?

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 09-23-2012 at 03:48..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:54   #6
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebrad25 View Post
I'm asking for help on how to, not opinions on whether or not to.
Here we go again.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:52   #7
Whitebrad25

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
Here we go again.
I was asking for a procedure and advice on preforming said procedure, not advice on what to do with my firearms. He said it was his opinion and that is fine, but it doesn't help me.

Take it for what it is, I am a member of over a dozen forums (with many more posts than here) and I believe that if you're unable to contribute positively to the OP, don't post.

Thanks to the others. To the poster who questioned the balance of the finish, this is interesting to note as a possibility...I was concerned there may be a little more to it than it seems but I would imagine that just removing the finish shouldn't create any real uneven surface (that could cause malfunctions) but I do see where you are going with possibly changing the angle.....either way, looks like I'll be getting a dremel.

Last edited by Whitebrad25; 09-23-2012 at 10:53..
Old 09-23-2012, 13:25   #8
wats6831

Quote:
I was asking for a procedure and advice on preforming said procedure, not advice on what to do with my firearms. He said it was his opinion and that is fine, but it doesn't help me.

Take it for what it is, I am a member of over a dozen forums (with many more posts than here) and I believe that if you're unable to contribute positively to the OP, don't post.

Thanks to the others. To the poster who questioned the balance of the finish, this is interesting to note as a possibility...I was concerned there may be a little more to it than it seems but I would imagine that just removing the finish shouldn't create any real uneven surface (that could cause malfunctions) but I do see where you are going with possibly changing the angle.....either way, looks like I'll be getting a dremel.
Looks like this has been brought up before [url]http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1297558[/url]

I have friends who have done this successfully on other firearms using a Dremel and some jeweler's rouge. Whether it helped or not...it's usually useless unless there are LARGE tool marks in the feed ramp and throat. Which happens but not very often.

I tend to agree with 1002 in the above thread, you may actually be ADDING friction by adding to the surface area of the ramp. Think Remington 700 bolt. They've realized this and not only is their bolt not polished, it has a very subtle coating that actually adds "roughness" (though you can't tell) and by doing so, decreasing the surface area of the bolt sliding along the raceway, thus reducing friciton. Which is why you get that "zip..zip" sound when working a Remington bolt.

Sounds like you've made up your mind and I respect your determination.

I've felt compelled to do this with almost every gun I've had. It's only natural to try to make things "better".

I would humbly suggest you consider the new information I've presented above

You may try asking your gunsmith and as a last resort looking at some youtube videos. Good luck.
wats6831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 17:13   #9
g29cc
Custom Work

Ibl

But I agree and disagree with the way the thread is going.

I know he didn't ask for that advice. But others may want to read it. So its a catch 22 in my book I guess. Some people might want to know some of the reasons behind doing or not doing something.

Todd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

CNC machining, Polishing ,ATF legal Laser Engraving, Ceramic refinishing, custom builds, FFL Licensed Certified Armorer 586.232.3422

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by g29cc; 09-23-2012 at 17:20..
g29cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 18:38   #10
Graybar100

Boy I feel fortunate that I have not had to polish the ramp on my 22 or any other Glock I own. They shoot everytime I pull the trigger. Just shot 150 rounds thru my G22 gen 4 today with no problems. Good luck with the polish job, hope it improves your reliability.
Graybar100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 18:46   #11
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

The actual on topic how to advice (by mymini) was good....very simple procedure if you want to do it...Like I have Whitebrad....all works just fine and smooth.
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 19:09   #12
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

First let me say I have polished many things.

But based on the reliability I have had with my Glocks without mods and understanding that with the current finish on the barrel it doesn't rust even when I abuse it, I would leave it alone.

But if you must polish the feed ramp....
You are done when the issue goes away or it looks the way you want it to look.
You can FK up a barrel if you don't get the angles correct. Sometimes it doesn't take much.
A motorized tool makes things move quickly. This is good and bad. It is very easy to get in trouble very quickly. It also gets the job done quickly.
If you don't have a bit that is the correct size or in this case diameter you will not be taking things off at the same rate.
The finer the polishing compound the slower the job, but jsut like with wood the smoother the finish.

I don't know what else to tell you. I think it is a bit of an art and not a science. Again, if it was my gun and I don't see anything wrong with teh barrel, I would leave it alone, but it isn't mine so have at it.
Old 09-23-2012, 23:06   #13
Whitebrad25

Well I have had the FTF. This is a duty firearm of mine and I would like it to be 100%. I'm not saying it needs this but I know it to be one of those things that can only help. I am not concerned of rust or anything like that. I just want smoother feeding for the firearm. I'll shoot another 1,000 rounds and determine how I feel after that point....I go to the range often enough that I will make my decision within a month or so easily. I'll also follow the advice above on the procedure and cautions. Thanks again.

ETA: this is a used G22 so I have to take it for what it is. I have shot many thousands of rounds through barrels without polished feed ramps and they did not polish the feed ramp as the poster suggested. I was not being rude (perhaps the avenue that I used, the internet, created confusion). I am simply trying to get over that "Glock is perfect" advice since clearly my sample size of one is not there yet. Topic related advice is appreciated and the topic is asking for procedural help...no offense intended. For whether or not to do so should depend on the skill of the individual messing with their firearm...so each person should know their own abilities (now that has been added we can add towards the topic). Anyone else with personal experience on the process please let me know if there is anything that has not been stated yet.

Appreciate the help guys.

Last edited by Whitebrad25; 09-23-2012 at 23:15..
Old 09-24-2012, 07:36   #14
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
I know it to be one of those things that can only help.
This is the part I disagree with. I have seen things go from ok to bad with polishing.

Since you have had a FTF, I am wondering if something IS wrong with the Glock or the mag. If you took it to a Glock armorer at a Glockshot competition....

One FTF out of how many rounds? Bad round? (Maybe the round feeding but more than likely the round that just fired)

Another diagnostic would be to load up a mag, point the gun in a safe direction and hand cycle the ammo.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:19   #15
glockout

I had a glock 27 that was finicky with cycling. It has the occasional failure to feed with the nose of the bullet in the chamber but still a half inch away from battery. My other 3 glocks have not needed any polishing. It sure looks pretty with a polished ramp.

I did a fluff and buff. I use a dowel with some fine wet and dry sand paper on on it. Do a little wet sanding. Start with some at 220 and go down to 400 then 600-1000. These papers get smoother the older they are and sometimes they don't need much finish work. I polished my ramp with rouge.

As many others have said you don't want to remove material, just smooth the surface.

I have also used rouge to put on the barrel/slide interface and run the gun. It can really polish the mating surfaces.

Last edited by glockout; 09-24-2012 at 10:19..
glockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:30   #16
mymini40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
This sure sounds simple. Do you know you're done when the mirror finish is achieved? Can this process harm the pistol's performance by removing too much or removing the ramp surface unevenly?

For even polishing, I've also heard of using a dowel rod that fits the ramp contour with a very fine polishing material.

Is anything less than a mirror finish considered to be an improvement to the barrel? Does one need to go that far?
When you can see your face reflection on it, thats it. You cant damage the ramp or grab into it since youre using a felt wheel. Go ahead and do it yourself. Its really easy. Just take it slow.
mymini40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:28   #17
Whitebrad25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
This is the part I disagree with. I have seen things go from ok to bad with polishing.

Since you have had a FTF, I am wondering if something IS wrong with the Glock or the mag. If you took it to a Glock armorer at a Glockshot competition....

One FTF out of how many rounds? Bad round? (Maybe the round feeding but more than likely the round that just fired)

Another diagnostic would be to load up a mag, point the gun in a safe direction and hand cycle the ammo.

As others have said, it is hard to mess it up with a soft wheel.

And the FTFs were not out of that many rounds, 100 to be exact.