Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:07   #1
lwt210

Home finance software/freeware recommendations

So I have my new netbook now....a Lenovo x130e. I am set up now with bloatware removed, running Chrome exclusively, MSE going strong, and all that other jazz. Basically loving it even though it has a somewhat slow processor.

Anyway, I am looking into personal financial software now and my head is swimming with all the possibilities. Here is what I am looking for.

I only have experience with Microsoft Money. I liked it and it did what I needed. Tracking spending, keeping a digital checkbook register, loan balances, credit card accounts, spending pie charts.....that sort of jazz.

So what say you? I have seen Gnucash and am leaning towards that but am not sold on it. I won't be doing any investment tracking or anything like that.....just the basic checking account/savings account and assorted monthly bills thing.

I do pay most bills online now if that matters and reconcile my checking account pretty much on a daily basis.

Some solid advice on what is out there is most appreciated. Tired of my head spinning.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:00   #2
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
I've heard pretty good things about mint.com. I've used Quicken over the years but I've lost my data files a couple times with hard drive crashes (I'm a slow learner). I would highly recommend Quicken if you want a PC based solution or Mint.com if you want a web based app.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:25   #3
GlockFanWA

Some banks and credit unions are now offering things like this. My credit union offers an online software from quicken that is free to use, so check there first.

About.com has a list of free software, see if anything there sounds good to you
GlockFanWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:30   #4
lwt210

I actually signed up with Mint and then deleted the account.

The cons outweighed the pros for me. I was about four accounts into the profile when it started saying things like "we are working on this one" and I wasn't liking the adding the passwords to it. Especially when I Googled the site and several pointed out that they have a big disclaimer on who's responsible if they are hacked.

Anyway, I'll look into Quicken. My bank offers access to it for a fee and I am not big on fees. I'll get something PC based soon.

Thanks for the responses.