Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-14-2012, 13:09   #1
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Ok, so I have a rifle

but it's pretty useless right now. A heavy expensive club in fact:

Savage 10FP HS Precision .308
Sights, Optics and Lasers

I'd like to spend around $1,000.00 (sans rings and mount) to get a scope that will let my less than stellar eyes reach out to 500-600 yards. Any ideas? Opinions? Advice?

Thanks for any input.
Old 09-14-2012, 15:01   #2
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
It would be hard to go wrong with a Leupold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Wants a G41
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:17   #3
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBaldy View Post
but it's pretty useless right now. A heavy expensive club in fact:

Savage 10FP HS Precision .308

I'd like to spend around $1,000.00 (sans rings and mount) to get a scope that will let my less than stellar eyes reach out to 500-600 yards. Any ideas? Opinions? Advice?

Thanks for any input.
Nice rifle!

What are your intended targets? If you will be shooting small furry varmints hiding in the grass, I'd normally recommend more magnification than you might need for clearly visible high-contrast paper bullseyes or painted steel targets. For those, 10x to 14x is probably all you'd need, and if you go much higher, it can be very difficult to use under field conditions or in non-bench-supported positions. For bench-rested use, or bipod/sandbag/pack-supported prone, you can go up to 20x-25x without too many problems.

Yes, you can always "dial-down" a higher-powered scope, but that high-end magnification costs money; if you don't need it or intend to use it, I'd recommend spending that part of the cash to get higher quality or valuable-to-you options (custom reticle?) on a slightly lower magnification scope.
...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 09-15-2012 at 02:23..
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:38   #4
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
It would be hard to go wrong with a Leupold.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards a Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x56 but I'm not sure if that's enough magnification.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:44   #5
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
Nice rifle!

What are your intended targets? .
Thanks.

Targets will probably be paper mostly. My eyes aren't what they used to be so hitting anything at long distance might be problematic. I was looking at a 14x Leupold but may move up to 20x or so. The guy who sold me the rifle brought out a couple of NightForce scopes he thought would look good on it. I did too until he told me they were $2,3000 and $2,400. I thanked him and told him maybe later.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:24   #6
banjobob

The leupold is pretty good glass but I do not think Reticle and turrets match. The reticle is typically mildot and turrets are moa. Its very important they match so you can make a faster 2nd shot more accruately and with signficantly less time. The debate between mil/mil vs moa/moa will rage forever. I'm a moa/moa for what it's worth, Nightforce is pretty damn good, there is much better at a much higher price. look at euro optics for NF. A much less expensive option is SS scope from swfa.com. I do not have one but they are very well respected especially in their price point. 14x is plenty to make "kill" shots at 500 yds. A source for great info is snipershide.com
banjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 15:35   #7
ds7br

If you are talking competion use: Nightforce 12x42, Sightron 6x32, Leupold 36BR or 42BR, etc. I use a straight 36xBR scope for 600yrd F class. Even the F-TR (bipod supported 308 or 223) have gone to the most power they can.
The the 24 power works well at 600yrd for varmints and casual use (6x24 variables)
The tacticool guys seem to like the mildot setups; 10x to 24x.
Dennis
ds7br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 19:23   #8
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Thanks again. A lot to think about. The SS scopes from swfa.com look nice.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:21   #9
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Just thought I'd share. After much deliberating and because I really don't know what I'm going to do with the rifle, I went with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP with MOA/MOA reticle and turrets. Price was $849.99 at LGS but they gave me the same 10% discount they would have if I had bought the rifle and scope together which brought the price down to $766.00. It's on a Seekins 20 MOA Savage base in Seekins 30mm rings. The rifle is also sporting a new Harris 1A2BR 6-9" bipod. Again, thanks for all the help.

ps

The scope is just on for show right now. Obie Wan sent the box with the screws for the base flying with his tail when a friend of mine came to the door. I've only found 2 of them so far.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:17   #10
NBT

Awesome rig.... friend of mine has the same gun and we were impressed with the accuracy right out of the box.
Vortex makes a decent scope for the $$. One thing that needs to be mentioned is Vortex has an excellent reputation for customer service.
I run a Seekins 20 MOA base on my 700 and it's never given me a problem...not that a base "should".
Enjoy the gun.

Last edited by NBT; 09-21-2012 at 09:19..
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:21   #11
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Vortex makes a decent scope for the $$. One thing that needs to be mentioned is Vortex has an excellent reputation for customer service.
I run a Seekins 20 MOA base on my 700 and it's never given me a problem...not that a base "should".
Enjoy the gun.
Thanks, I hope to.

Vortex reported customer service is one reason I went with this less expensive lesser known brand.