SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 13:27   #41
boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Before you guys get too smitten with the 147 gr. Gold Dot you might want to take a gander at a thread on another forum by LEO's disparaging the 147 gr. Gold Dot based on street results. It seems as if sometimes we forget that street results always trump shooting gel and water jugs:

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/t...22&whichpage=2
Like I said they aren't my first choice but that link is not very far up ladder from useless. Almost all of them complaining are saying to go up to the heavier caliber, that's hardly helpful. Most of those complaining are just complaining with no actual incidents to back it up. Would I have rather had HST, yep. Would I stick with these out of a 3" barrel over the 124gr? Yep. (I had 147 and 115 to pick from, no way in hell I using 115 out of a 3" barrel.)
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 13:34   #42
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Are you on drugs?
I'm on the same drugs as the posters in your link, and anyone who would consider that link as useful information.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:11   #43
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Less than 4-inches, I guess. Most 9mm in history have had at least a 4-inch barrel.
So what round you do select for your short barrel 9mm?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:06   #44
SCmasterblaster

I Don't Have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
So what round you do select for your short barrel 9mm?
a short-barreled 9mm. I only have a G17. But in a shorter-barreled 9mm I'd probably use the WW 115gr JHP +p+ that I do in my G17.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:05   #45
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

I've chronographed some 9mm ammunition from different barrel lengths. At the time I had the chronograph I didn't have a pistol with a barrel longer than Glock 19. I did have the Glock 19, Glock 26 and the Springfield XD subcompact. These have barrels of 4.02", 3.46" and 3.0".

I chose ammunition from the same maker, Federal, for consistency. It also all clocked very close to its factory rated velocities in with the Glock 19. The ammunition was standard pressure 115 grains, standard pressure 124 grain, +P 115 grain, +P 124 grain, +P+ 115 grain, +P+ 124 grain and 147 grain JHP bullet loads.

With the Glock 19 all ammunition registered pretty much as rated by Federal for velocity. In the Glock 19,

The standard pressure 115 grain load went faster than the standard pressure 124 grain load.

The +P 115 grain load went faster than the +P 124 grain load.

The +P+ 115 grain load went faster than the +P+ 124 grain load.

With the Glock 26 and with the XD, all of the 124 grain loads equaled their similar pressure 115 grain loads for velocity.

The standard 124 grain load went as fast or faster than the standard pressure 115 grain load in velocity.

The +P 124 grain load went as fast or faster than the +P 115 grain load in velocity.

The 147 grain load lost the least amount of velocity from the shorter barreled pistols compared to the Glock 19 velocities.

The 147 grain load was closest to its factory rated velocity with the shorter barrels even though it had lost some velocity it was not as much loss as the lighter weight bullet load had.

Note the 124 grain loads were very close to matching the 147 grain load difference though. The 115 grain loads lost the most velocity with the shorter barrels and even fell to 124 grain load velocities, only bettering them in velocity with the Glock 19.

I didn't have a longer barreled pistol with the chronograph but I think maybe it's possible the lighter weight bullets would gain more velocity than the heavier bullets with a longer barrel. That may or may not be a good thing. Added velocity usually means more reliable expansion, but also the velocity increase may become higher than the design velocities of some bullets. Possibly causing over expansion and under penetration. I'm not sure another inch of barrel would be a problem though. I think it would usually help.

The 115 grain loads run right where they should with a 4 inch barrel. (as do the other loads) With a shorter barrel, I see no reason to choose the 115 grain bullets as the 124 grain loads are just as fast and closer to the design velocities with a shorter barrel.

The 147 grain loads have the least muzzle blast. That might be a good thing for fending off carjackings or reducing bleeding eardrums indoors. There are some well design 147 bullets available these days.

With a 4 inch or longer barrel, the 115 grain loads should perform as designed. With shorter barrels, the all three 115 grain loads were equaled in velocity by the heavier, same pressure 124 grain loads.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:51   #46
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
I've chronographed some 9mm ammunition from different barrel lengths. At the time I had the chronograph I didn't have a pistol with a barrel longer than Glock 19. I did have the Glock 19, Glock 26 and the Springfield XD subcompact. These have barrels of 4.02", 3.46" and 3.0".

I chose ammunition from the same maker, Federal, for consistency. It also all clocked very close to its factory rated velocities in with the Glock 19. The ammunition was standard pressure 115 grains, standard pressure 124 grain, +P 115 grain, +P 124 grain, +P+ 115 grain, +P+ 124 grain and 147 grain JHP bullet loads.

With the Glock 19 all ammunition registered pretty much as rated by Federal for velocity. In the Glock 19,

The standard pressure 115 grain load went faster than the standard pressure 124 grain load.

The +P 115 grain load went faster than the +P 124 grain load.

The +P+ 115 grain load went faster than the +P+ 124 grain load.

With the Glock 26 and with the XD, all of the 124 grain loads equaled their similar pressure 115 grain loads for velocity.

The standard 124 grain load went as fast or faster than the standard pressure 115 grain load in velocity.

The +P 124 grain load went as fast or faster than the +P 115 grain load in velocity.

The 147 grain load lost the least amount of velocity from the shorter barreled pistols compared to the Glock 19 velocities.

The 147 grain load was closest to its factory rated velocity with the shorter barrels even though it had lost some velocity it was not as much loss as the lighter weight bullet load had.

Note the 124 grain loads were very close to matching the 147 grain load difference though. The 115 grain loads lost the most velocity with the shorter barrels and even fell to 124 grain load velocities, only bettering them in velocity with the Glock 19.

I didn't have a longer barreled pistol with the chronograph but I think maybe it's possible the lighter weight bullets would gain more velocity than the heavier bullets with a longer barrel. That may or may not be a good thing. Added velocity usually means more reliable expansion, but also the velocity increase may become higher than the design velocities of some bullets. Possibly causing over expansion and under penetration. I'm not sure another inch of barrel would be a problem though. I think it would usually help.

The 115 grain loads run right where they should with a 4 inch barrel. (as do the other loads) With a shorter barrel, I see no reason to choose the 115 grain bullets as the 124 grain loads are just as fast and closer to the design velocities with a shorter barrel.

The 147 grain loads have the least muzzle blast. That might be a good thing for fending off carjackings or reducing bleeding eardrums indoors. There are some well design 147 bullets available these days.

With a 4 inch or longer barrel, the 115 grain loads should perform as designed. With shorter barrels, the all three 115 grain loads were equaled in velocity by the heavier, same pressure 124 grain loads.
Thanks for the good data.