SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:55   #1
FM12
I need AMMO!

Taser lead failure

One of our guys tazed an arrestee the other night. The right lead broke off (or never was connected) and had to go to drive stun mode. Not sure of the lot on the lead, but just a heads up: be ready for drive stun if the original shot fails!

Anyother instances of this? Thanks
Old 09-20-2012, 06:55   #2
jbglock

You sure it broke off? I've never had a cartridge fail nor have I seen one fail. I've personally had one lead go into a loose cover garment while the other made it into the stomach area which of course made a nice loud popping sound but no real effect. I wouldn't call it a failure of the cartridge though.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:13   #3
socalchuckster

Another reason I love the new X2.....instant back up shot capability
socalchuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 13:43   #4
FM12
I need AMMO!

TO JBGlock: Yep never was attached. Saw the whole thing from 3 feet. I took out the barb myself.
Old 09-20-2012, 14:46   #5
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Happens all the time. We usually dart someone once or twice a week. I don't even use mine anymore. It would have to be perfect conditions to meet our stupid policies on it.

Its easier for me to punch someone in the face.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

-texmex
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 14:48   #6
Steve in PA

Never seen one happen. Just like anything, you could end up with a bad round of ammo in your firearm. Always be prepared.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 15:58   #7
jbglock

My agency isn't huge but none of us have every experienced this. I doubt a week has passed in years that someone hasn't gotten tased. Some weeks multiple people get tased. I do believe it could happen but I don't think it is frequent based on my own experience. When we have a failure it is usually because of a miss on the run or one barb ends up in some loose outer garment.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:46   #8
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM12 View Post
Not sure of the lot on the lead, but just a heads up: be ready for drive stun if the original shot fails!
I'm pretty sure this is a standard recommendation of the Taser training these days. They don't promise that the device will work flawlessly every time. The new curriculum also emphasizes (repeatedly) "Remember other Use of Force options and do not become too dependent on the Taser!"
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 13:07   #9
ClydeG19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Happens all the time. We usually dart someone once or twice a week. I don't even use mine anymore. It would have to be perfect conditions to meet our stupid policies on it.

Its easier for me to punch someone in the face.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
The 9th Circus it making it harder and harder. I'd love to see some of these liberal judges actually come out and deal with some of the people they think are committing a "not especially egregious" crime without a pretty effective tool like the taser.

Last edited by ClydeG19; 09-21-2012 at 13:08..
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 13:32   #10
shootindave

I have seen X26 cartridge failures multiple times. Usually the bottom probe going nuts and bouncing off the ground after a foot or so. Or not attached, or a complete failure.

The only failure I have had with the taser in my hand was the thing not going off at all..... it just started a weird countdown on the back of the taser display...... awesomeness.

Dave
shootindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:24   #11
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootindave View Post
I have seen X26 cartridge failures multiple times. Usually the bottom probe going nuts and bouncing off the ground after a foot or so. Or not attached, or a complete failure.

The only failure I have had with the taser in my hand was the thing not going off at all..... it just started a weird countdown on the back of the taser display...... awesomeness.

Dave
Probably the same cycle it goes through when the DPM is inserted. This was a significant issue for us in the past and is recognized as an issue by Taser. They provide a shim to install that prevents the contacts from moving. I believe that using the XDPM, particularly with a spare cartridge installed, and then using the device as a hand rest is a factor much of the time.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 16:20   #12
WilyCoyote

After several times using the Taser, I've found it to be marginally effective unless the ideal conditions, environmental and legal, have been met. I like OC much better. So far I have a 100% efficacy rate. I've seen more grown men sit on the ground and cry like babies after being OC's than I have from the same demographic being tased.

Last edited by WilyCoyote; 09-22-2012 at 16:21.. Reason: cuz i can
WilyCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote