SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-21-2012, 20:04   #1
MikeSantor

Cut up G20?

GT,

Has anyone ever seen a G20 with a trigger frame cut to fit G29 mags? I know cold bore does this kind of work but I never seen one on a 10mm. Thinking about this for a CCW gun. A light sticks out further than the barrel on the G29 so I might as well carry a full slide length pistol if I'm going to have a light on it. The only thing I have a problem comfortably concealing with full size glocks is the handle length.

Thoughts?
MikeSantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 21:18   #2
Any Cal.

I'm interested as well.
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 22:01   #3
ctious

Would be easy to do. Not sure I personally would like it.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:49   #4
leadslinger13

i have been on the fence with this idea as well. i tend to think it would be nicer as the full size frame shoots so soft. Yes the grip is the biggest issue with CCW. I do have both the full size frame and the SF frame. I was going to send the full size off for a grip reduction and then think about cutting down the SF frame.

Let us know how it goes and don't forget the pics.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
leadslinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:03   #5
alwaysshootin

Sounds as though you have thought this out. Makes perfect sense to me. The only reason you haven't seen it done to a 10MM, or rarely seen it done, is most haven't come around to the realization of how perfect the 10 is for a carry firearm.

I need the mag extension on the 29, and actually prefer the grip of the G20. Will admit though, the 29 even with the Pearce extensions hides easily. Even pulled it off this summer just wearing a loose t shirt, and can't do that with the 20.

I say go for it sounds like a good idea, best of both worlds. Have the compactness of a 29, greater velocity with the longer barrel, longer sighting radius, and the ability of using 15 round mags if you deem necessary.

You did ask for thoughts!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:29   #6
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSantor View Post
GT,

Has anyone ever seen a G20 with a trigger frame cut to fit G29 mags? I know cold bore does this kind of work but I never seen one on a 10mm. Thinking about this for a CCW gun. A light sticks out further than the barrel on the G29 so I might as well carry a full slide length pistol if I'm going to have a light on it. The only thing I have a problem comfortably concealing with full size glocks is the handle length.

Thoughts?
I've seen it done, yes.... and it looked really good. I'll see if I can find the pics and post em up. Not sure who actually did the work, though.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:39   #7
MikeSantor

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I have been on the fence about my first 10MM for about a year and a half if not longer. I really want the velocity of the 20 but I would like to be able to also conceal it.

I know the obvious answer is to get both the 20 and 29, and I know one day I will but being a poor college student right now makes me think things out a little more...

Right now I have 2 options in my head.

1 Being the setup described above. Cut down G20.

2 Being a 29 with extended barrel.

Both will have a SF X300 on them, Both will have RMRs.

So the question comes down to this. If they both have RMRs, Sight radius becomes null and void (ok lets not go down the thought process of "If the batteries die the ONE time I actually have to use my weapon".) So that means the only other advantage the cut down 20 has over the 29 is velocity with the longer barrel, correct? So Now the next question is, Is the velocity of the 20 really worth cutting up as compared to the 29 with extended barrel?

I think I would have already pulled the trigger on one of the 2 (no pun intended) if it were not for the fact that my blue line dealer is like a 2.5 hour drive from me...
Old 10-22-2012, 08:48   #8
alwaysshootin

All I can say is, because you, put the thought in my head, and having more than one G20, it sounds like something nice to have. The only drawback for me is the fact the 29 has to have the grip extension for a proper fit for me, and that just brings the grip to similar, in size to the G20, to pay for it to be cut.
Old 10-22-2012, 18:20   #9
RYT 2BER

Hmmmmm cut down the grip on a g20.........

I think I rather cut my wrists!!

Friggin blasphemy!
Old 10-22-2012, 19:59   #10
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

I'm holding out for a Longside for the G-29! That would be very nice solution!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 21:16   #11
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
I'm holding out for a Longside for the G-29! That would be very nice solution!
A solution to what?
Old 10-22-2012, 21:22   #12
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Solution to cutting the grip down on the G-20 and my wish for a LongSlide for my G-29. The long slide G-29 would be a great addition to add even more flexability to this great package.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 21:40   #13
RYT 2BER

Here is the solution that works for me.. I carry a g20 and I find it now different when in carry my g23...

I like the full grip,and the high capacity.. I carry the 20 primarily for the capacity...

Plus the slide of the 20 is awfully heavy. I think a long slide 29 would,be terribly nose heavy and unbalanced with the small grip of the 29..

That's what you need... A front heavy fairly unbalanced package with the boom power of the 10 mm...
Old 10-22-2012, 22:16   #14
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

OP, I'm confused. As a poor college student you're thinking about running an RMR and a Surefire 300? That's some pricey gear to dress up a pistol that is perfectly serviceable right out of the box. If CCW is your primary use for this thing, just get the 29SF. It's the perfect size 10 for carry, can use 15 round mags for reloads or HD and the slightly lower velocity is negligible because it's a 10mm! I think if you cut down a G20 you might regret it eventually. Just use a longer barrel if you need the extra oomph for hunting elephants.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:27   #15
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
I'd go with a G29SF.... PLENTY of 10mm juice (even for close-in hunting, honestly).... you can always get a longer barrel later if you want. Plus, G29's take G20 mags....
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 22:13   #16
TDC20

I'm with nickE on this one. A stock barrel G29 will easily get to >1200fps with 180's and 1150fps with 200's. What more do you need for a concealable carry gun? You're still monumentally better off with the power of a stock G29 than any pink, wussified, 40 short and weak caliber gun.

I think you'd regret cutting up your G20 one day, and end up buying another G20 eventually. Personally, I'd save the customization money and use it on a G29, but everyone is entitled to their own preferences. Be sure to post pics if you decide to do it. Maybe the idea will grow on me.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:36   #17
MikeSantor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
OP, I'm confused. As a poor college student you're thinking about running an RMR and a Surefire 300? That's some pricey gear to dress up a pistol that is perfectly serviceable right out of the box.
I have owned that gear for years. I was not always a poor college student. I was a construction worker in Chicago for 8 years before I decided to go back to school full time. School full time = back to minimum wage job...

I have a few RMRs and since I make custom kydex holsters, I have a collection of weapon lights for molding.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I really like getting all the different views on things.

Although I really want to try something cool that you dont see every day, I think I MIGHT stick with the G29 for now. Then after I get through my paramedic and FFII course play with the 20