SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-19-2012, 19:33   #1
lsmountainman

Send a message via ICQ to lsmountainman
ASP Handcuffs

I have Peerless chain cuffs but I am liking them less and less with each arrest. In my former deparment I used hinged cuffs and really miss them for the ease of use. I am thinking about switching to ASP, what do you guys think?
lsmountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 19:45   #2
Sgt127

Sorry...I'm old school. Peerless or Smith. I still carry a pair of stainless Smiths with the vertical keyway near the front of the cuff.

Hinged handcuffs were always in exactly the wrong position for me while wrestling around with some drunk.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 20:16   #3
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

I've known a few guys that swore by (and still swear by) the ASP cuffs, but personally, I like my Peerless. I've got a chain set on the front of my belt and a hinge set towards the rear. The hinge set I always found was good for "somewhat" compliant subjects.

For instance: that hinky guy that you figure you might have to arrest for whatever reason, but aren't 100% sure yet. Several times I've had contact with a guy that when confronted about some such crime says "you can search me" or something to that effect. I always say okay, ask them to turn around, take hold of their hands and say "I'm going to search you now," then (and this is the sneaky-sneaky part) put the hinge cuffs on them and search them. By the time they realize what happened, the cuffs are on and I can always take them off if it turns out they don't need to go to jail. If they DO need a ride to the pokey, I just avoided a fight.

So, with all that said - love me some hinge cuffs, but I can't give a first hand opinion on ASPs.
Old 09-19-2012, 20:30   #4
ray9898

I love my ASP's. I have carried a hinge and chain on duty for several years and never had a problem.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 20:32   #5
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

I've got peerless, Hyatt, S&W, and ASP cuffs. I always find myself going back to the S&Ws. I learned the hard way in defensive tactics last year thAT my ASP cuffs flex too much.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 20:44   #6
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

They have a few pro's, but I don't like to carry them as my primary cuffs on my duty belt. They are lighter and have key holes on both side which is good.

I don't like that the space between the cuffs are wider, allowing more movement and more people to be able to move the cuffs under their feet around to their front. I deal with a lot of skinny junkies.

The other problem I don't like is that the polymer/plastic has some flex to it and it doesn't take a lot of force to flex them. That means the ratchet arm can get mis-aligned and miss the female end of the arm, instead going to the side and not locking into place.

I've collected a few pairs over the years - but just keep them in my duty bag for major incidents or party bus full of dookie-dogs.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 21:25   #7
jbglock

Like others I've found that they flex too much. Especially after a few hundred uses. My Smith and Wesson cuffs don't have that problem.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 21:52   #8
lsmountainman

My Sarge is an arrest control instructor and he carries ASP, I am gonna give them a once over when we go back on shift. Out of curiosity, it seems like a lot of guys carry 1 chain and 1 hinge set on their belt. Why both?
Old 09-19-2012, 22:01   #9
jbglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmountainman View Post
My Sarge is an arrest control instructor and he carries ASP, I am gonna give them a once over when we go back on shift. Out of curiosity, it seems like a lot of guys carry 1 chain and 1 hinge set on their belt. Why both?
I used to do that. My thinking was chain for someone that wasn't being a problem and hinge for someone that was being a problem. 2 pair because I've had a lot of people that couldn't physically get their arms together close enough for just 1 pair of cuffs. Also in case I need to arrest more than one right then (usually a domestic where the assault is mutual). I keep a minimum of two on me even though I don't use ASP any longer. The ASP chain cuffs I had I sold cheap to a detective friend who doesn't care about the flex in them. The hinge I still keep in the car with an extra set of Peerless that were issued to me. I've never needed more than 3 cuffs at one time but I have four just in case.
Old 09-19-2012, 22:03   #10
lsmountainman

I carry two Peerless chains on me at all times and have a 3rd in the truck. I want to get a set of hinges but don't know if I want to carry two or not.
Old 09-19-2012, 22:23   #11
ateamer
NRA4EVR

I carry/ied one set of chain and one set of hinged. The hinged are superior, but they are bigger, and chicks and Oaxacans need regular-sized cuffs. And I'm too cheap to spring for a pair of regular-sized hinged cuffs at this point. When I started, Peerless was the only brand with hinges.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 22:27   #12
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

My contribution to a previous ASP handcuffs thread:

1) The things are tremendously large compared to a standard pair of cuffs, which means that they won't fit in to most regular handcuff cases. The duty gear manufacturers have done a good job of getting cases out there by this point, and that's good, because some of the ASP brand ones look like cheap junk. If you want to wear a double case, you should be aware that it will stick out even farther than a reguar double.

2) It is far too easy to flex the single strand outside of the double strand, which not only prevents cuffing, but the binding effect can get the assembly pretty well stuck. This is not impossible to do with good 'ol steel, but it's much easier with the ASP cuffs.

3) The double keyways and single turn unlocking make the cuffs easier to unlock for you, and easier to pick for them. I was always taught to cuff with the keyways up (and double locking pins out) because it: a) made it easier to remove the cuffs and b) made it harder for the cuffed person to stick things in the lock holes. This is obviously not possible with the ASP cuffs. Further, the "double lock" feature on handcuffs is supposed to serve two purposes: a) prevent the cuffs from tightening by locking the single strand in place and b) make the cuffs harder to pick by requiring the key to be turned both ways. The second part (the actual security feature) is not present on ASP cuffs.

4) Sliding double locking bars suck. They've always sucked, and they still suck. The only thing that the ASP double lock slider has going for it is that it's bright colored, so you can at least see that you're ****ing it up.

5) The polymer edges on the inside of the double strand can, and will cause cuts if the cuffs are appplied too tightly or the person is overly "active" in them. I've seen it with my own eyes. This may be something that has been fixed in later models, but all of the ones that I handled had a pretty good edge on them on the inside. That's troublesome.

6) On that same note, plastic is fairly porous, which makes decontamination something more of a concern. While that just means you have to clean them more thouroughly if they have been bled on, blood tends to stain the plastic on the things, which means that the cuffs may appear to be contaminated when they are not. I had a coworker toss a pair in the trash after getting blood on them because he did not feel that he would ever be able to be sure that there was not fresh contamination on them.

7) Older pairs could be "flexed" apart. This should be eliminated by now, but I don't get how you put a product to market that can be taken apart by somebody of moderate to above average strength with nothing but a little elbow grease and determination. Handcuffs are a temporary restraint, obviously, but this was ridiculous.

I guess all in all, I see these things as an answer looking for a problem. Their success is a product of good marketing and lots of free pairs given away in training classes. The only thing that I can really say that I like about them is the flat portion on the single strand, but I also don't think that it provides any real benefit in 99% of situations. I do agree with those that have stated that they have a very smooth action, but I have found that most S&W and Hiatts cuffs have actions that are equally smooth or better.

Your mileage may very, but I'm gonna stick with my "outdated" metal Peerless and S&W handcuffs.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 23:33   #13
Schaffer

I have a pair of smith chained cuffs and a pair of peerless hinged that were gifted to me by former Leo's. I generally use the hinged for people who give me a hard time and the chained for nicer *******s
Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:09   #14
GunFighter45ACP

Why not look for hinged Peerless cuffs? 801s IIRC
Lone Star Glockers #85
GunFighter45ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:13   #15
CanIhaveGasCash

I carried ASP cuffs and thought that they were awesome. After a few years they loosened up and the single strand would hit the double strand during application. They are also huge.

One benefit is that they do come in pink!

Last edited by CanIhaveGasCash; 09-20-2012 at 01:13..
CanIhaveGasCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:40   #16
merlynusn

I carried both hinged and chain cuffs. I wanted two pairs in case I had to arrest multiple people. Also, I carried one of each because the chain is easier to get on in a fight and the hinged is a PITA in a fight. You get more control with hinged, but I found it very difficult to get on in those circumstances. I typically would go to the hinged for all but the fights or multiple arrests.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:34   #17
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt127 View Post
Sorry...I'm old school. Peerless or Smith. I still carry a pair of stainless Smiths with the vertical keyway near the front of the cuff.

Hinged handcuffs were always in exactly the wrong position for me while wrestling around with some drunk.
Aren't the hinged handcuffs smaller in length? What do you guys do with "fat people"? Since there are mote large people than ever before are they now making Smiths and Peerless in larger lengths? Just curious..nit meant to highjack the thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 15:47   #18
jbglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
Aren't the hinged handcuffs smaller in length? What do you guys do with "fat people"? Since there are mote large people than ever before are they now making Smiths and Peerless in larger lengths? Just curious..nit meant to highjack the thread.
That is another reason I always carry two pair. I just link the two pair together.
Old 09-20-2012, 17:03   #19
Ftttu

Hyatt and Peerless for me. Several months ago, I didn't get a set of cuffs back after an arrest so I went to my local cop store to replace them. I tried to get ASP to grow on me but I couldn't. Too big for my pouches and I just haven't had any problems with Hyatt and Peerless. I've never liked S&W due to the slide locking system.
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 17:11   #20
Schaffer

Dont the asp cuffs need an asp case?
Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote